Your viewing journal

Tried to get into Mushishi a couple of days ago. I ended up watching the first two episodes and then not bothering with the third.

After that, I attempted to watch my Key: Metal Idol DVDs. The first 3.5 episodes were a bit boring/uninvolving, and I stopped watching after my DVD player refused to play the last half of the 4th episode. Since I own the entire series on DVD, I'll probably watch some more in a day or two.

Fate/stay night: 1-4

Not bad at all considering it's based on a game. The main character is the plain goody-goody type and the art/animation isn't as good as it could be, but aside from those flaws there's a lot to like. I'm a big fan of swords and sorcery stories and, even though the setting is the present and not a medieval one, I love the idea of seven types of fighters, varying from swords masters to archers, fighting to the death. I can see see a lot of potential character development for the overly serious servant Saber; I'm sure she'll mellow the more she's around the main character.

It's too bad I only have Vol. 1... The thought of watching the remaining 20 episodes on my monitor isn't very appealing.

Watched Straight Jacket last night.

I liked it, would give it 8/10

Only thing was it seems that all the effort was put into the action scenes, not that there is anything wrong with that though, but my point is the animation in the rest of it was no better than a series.

What happened to feature lengths having better art, maybe I'm being a little harsh but that's how it seemed.

Anyway to end on a positive coz I did like it, the action scenes are awesome and I like a bit of violence in my anime and there was plenty :twisted:

Edit: Just found out it was an OAV, thats probably why :)

Space Symphony Maetel 1-2: I thought this was going to be a retelling, but no Tetsuro. Hmm. Story seems pretty good but crappy CGI is crappy.

Maison Ikkoku 1: Looks like I'm going to enjoy this a lot. Like Urusei Yatsura, another Takahashi adaption, it has already proved to have the rare ability to make me laugh out loud.

Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol 3. What a series, I'm not sure on this but I think the last story arc is probably the best.

Enojing some Slayers Try at the moment, just finished the first disc.

Rebuild of Evangelion: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE

It was boring for the most part since roughly 80% was copied from the TV series. Until towards the end, where two short scenes were added and the sixth angel fight was dragged out (yawn) in order to make the film end 'dramatically', it was near enough an exact replication of the TV series, with improved art and animation. I was on the verge of judging it to be no more than an attempt to cash-in on overrated series until the changes started occuring.

Although it seems like attempts are being to connect the start to the end in order to make it a bit more understandable (yay!), very little in the way of plot details were revealed. Here are some example questions:

Why can only children pilot Evangelion? Why is Shinji the best pilot for his Eva? What happened to Tokyo I-II? Why are angels attacking? What are angels? What caused the first and second impact? What parts of the world were destroyed? Why do Seele members communicate through objects? Are Seele part of or above the UN? Why does there happen to be an angel, that Shinji is supposed to be killing, in the middle of NERV? Why hasn't the angel inside NERV been destroyed?

...etc, etc. Like with the TV series, my problem with the movie is that it goes out of its way not to inform its viewers why what happens happens. So little information is provided that it's frustrating, and it was even more frustrating with the TV series because EVERYTHING important got threw at viewers right at the end, when it could've been spread across the series in smaller, more comprehensible doses. Watching Evangelion play out like a standard mecha show for 90% and then switch to brain killing mode is what makes me hate it a little.

On the plus side, Asuka will enter the picture in the next film. Another plus is that, going on the ending and preview, it looks like the plot is actually going to diverge. Somehow the moon has got involved in the story, and it seems like angels come from the moon... Unless the TV series left out the tiny bit about angels coming from the moon (it wouldn't surprise me!), this is a big change. A new Evangelion unit (06) is coming to Earth from the moon, and a new female, glasses wearing character is getting involved. I just hope these changes make everything easier to understand and not the opposite!

Tsubasa Chronicle: Tokyo Revelations (Complete) Well, this was different. The 3 episodic OVA starts mid story line. I was a little confused having not knowing anything about the anime to find it starting where it did. Having said that I did enjoy it. Animation was enjoyable and characters like-able even tho I knew them for a short amount of time. I gave it 7/10.

Clannad (Completed) I watched this series after wanting to watch more of a romance orientated anime. It was definately not the worst series I've seen however it was quite cheesey in parts. Overall I quite enjoyed it. Even though it was obviouse from the start who would end up in a relationship. 7/10 for keeping me entertained for a few nights.

Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter (Complete) This story involves the same characters as the original series however the relationship is different. What I enjoyed about this was that the girl that ended up with Okazaki was the girl I wanted him to end up with in the series. Very much enjoyed this one off, and also gave it 7/10.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 1-2 As expected, I've only seen these first two episodes but know I'm going to love this series, Just a shame it's only 13 episodes long.

Maison Ikkoku 2-5: In a word, wonderful. A lot more subdued than Urusei Yatsura, but still unmisakably Takahashi. The characters are all well drawn (not just talking about the animation here ;) )and having a smaller cast gives them each more screen time, which is nice. The comedy is fresh and funny, and the romantic aspects are already quite moving. I will do a big write up on this series at a later date.

While I have a few issues with the anime adaptation of Maison Ikkoku, it still gets a whole lot of love from me. Not nearly as much as the manga does, but I wouldn't be without either version. One thing the anime has over its manga counterpart, though, is the wonderful voice acting from one of the greatest casts in anime. I look forward to your detailed write-up.

fabricatedlunatic said:
While I have a few issues with the anime adaptation of Maison Ikkoku, it still gets a whole lot of love from me. Not nearly as much as the manga does, but I wouldn't be without either version. One thing the anime has over its manga counterpart, though, is the wonderful voice acting from one of the greatest casts in anime. I look forward to your detailed write-up.
Not read the manga yet - don't read a lot of manga anyway, but if anything is enticing me to read more it's the works of Rumiko Takahashi. Maison Ikkoku looks fairly easily obtainable in English as well (unlike UY sadly) so I'll no doubt give it a go at some point.

Oh, and Higurashi 15-18: Hooray for new Geneon releases!
Maison Ikkoku 6-13

I strongly recommend that you do. A lot of great manga chapters aren't animated (though the anime has a few original stories); certain events take place in a different order; and some of the most powerful scenes in the manga are sadly absent from the anime. Other stuff, too, but I'd be wandering into spoiler territory...

Michiko to Hatchin episodes 2 & 3 - Don't feel like going into some DEEP analysis as to why I loved it, but I did. I want the OST so bad.

Also:

vlcsnap-92764.png

Casshern: SINS episode 6 - Most of the episode was them just standing there talking about Casshern's immortality... then Casshern had some BADASS fight with Dio [Possibly Ronnie James Dio] and now he wants to know about Luna. Oji is Braiking Boss and that girl who wants revenge IS Luna, you heard it from me first.

i got to see the entire series of Koi Kaze on Veoh a few weeks back.

>>

naughty of me i know, but it got addictive after the first couple of episodes, and im like 'oh whats gonna happen next'. i should go and buy the series

Second Barrage 5-8: Still liking it better than the first series. The remaining niggle I have with it is still overuse of what I'll term CCC's - "Colourful Costumed Characters". The Twins were good enough characters without being dressed like the children of 17th century aristocrats. Does Eda really need her nun outfit on when not in the nunnery? etc...
Maison Ikkoku 14-20: Some very touching (and some very funny) scenes in these few eps. Godai & Kyoko seem so very real it's hard not to be affected. It's another slightly bi-polar show that suits me down to the ground.
Space Symphony Maetel 3: Nazca wasn't the only one shouting "This makes no sense!" at the end...

Gurren Lagann

I really enjoyed the first few episodes but hoped that Kamina's death would be a turning point and that the show would evolve into something more interesting. But it didn't. Within an episode normal service had been resumed; hyperactive battle segued into hyperactive battle and it all started to become a blur. Then came the timeskip, and with it a brief and much needed change of pace and scene. But it wasn't long before it returned to the shallow action show it always was, only this time louder and more obnoxious.

Having said that, I do appreciate what Gurren Lagann is and what it was trying to achive. In that sense, it's a success. But while I enjoyed some of it, the endless shounen clichés and relentless action just tired this old man out. I guess I was looking for something that was never meant to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you recall, I said near enough the exact same thing on EuroFaggots.net. Since it's already been established that your taste is inferior to my own and we can never agree on anything completely, I request that you stop copying me in an attempt to start an argument. I'm not falling for something so obvious.

Shallowness aside, I thought it was great at first, mainly due to Kamina. Then, after the focus shifted onto the emo/dull character, I started to lose a little interest, although it did stay interesting until the TS. After the TS, I thought it was going to be great - it finally appeared to be getting depth - but it soon reverted to having a retarded story, and Simon defined dull without the Linkin Park thing he had going on in the first half. I hated the show towards the end; when the plot became so stupid it was painful to watch.

Back