Your viewing journal

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Katniss Evergarden's Violet Hungergame ep1

I was expecting to be pretty ambivalent about this one, but I quite liked that first episode - aside from the pretty visuals, I also appreciate the post psuedo-WW1 setting. Not sure I like it enough to start dropping money on a Netflix sub once my free month ends though.

Pop Team Epic ep2

Didn't watch the encore all the way through, although I think the second take for the VA studio scene was definitely the funnier version.

Dat op tho.

Buzzkillington

Za Warudo
Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions - Episode 4 - I only really watched this episode as something was annoying me. Basically I wanted to know if the next episode preview from episode 3 really did make it super obvious that he was going to die this episode or if it was just a double bluff... Kinda stupid when they make it that obvious really. I like this enough that I'll pick up the BD and finish it then.

Darling in the FranXX -
Episode 1 - I doubt I'd even have checked this out had it not had Triggers name attached to it and to be honest I haven't got a clue what I actually think of this yet :/ I mean it did some things I really liked as well as some things that I really didn't. I'll be tuning in next episode though so I guess it's done enough for now.

The Ancient Magus' Bride - Episode 10

Last edited:

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
Darling in the FranXX ep 1
Seems like a cool mech series, I'm sure there's some tragic backstory behind Zero Two and/or Hiro.

unique looking setting/world
Certainly, although I kept thinking I've seen Hiro's character design before. Then I checked MAL and found that the Character Designer was the same as for AnoHana, AnoNatsu and Anthem of the Heart. I'd say Hiro is most like Takumi from AotH, but with different coloured eyes.

Last edited:

Lambadelta

Cardcaptor
Blood+ Ep 5-10

Plot has picked up more. I see what people mean by its a slow show with not much being shown, but what is shown is great.

The phantom while simple in design is quite charming.

TKFA57l.png

crashmatt

Death Scythe
Darling in the Franxx ep1 - absolutly loved this and 002 is and intresting character. The battle scene was excellent.

The Ancient Magus Bride ep14 - emotional episode

Beatless ep1 - considering i hate most Diomedea anime this was a solid start and im onboard for more.

Killing bites ep1 - Ecchi, gore and furry waifus what not to like?

Garo Vanshing Line ep13 - Gina is some woman.

NormanicGrav

Grav's End Harem
AUKN Staff
BEATLESS (Japanese audio) - Episode 1
OVERLORD II (Japanese audio) - Episode 1

Trying my best to check out more shows from the latest seasons compared to last year. So far here's my simulcast watchlist thus far:

Amazon Prime:
After the Rain
BEATLESS
Killing Bites
KOKKOKU: Moment by Moment

Crunchyroll:
The Ancient Magus' Bride (2nd half)
OVERLORD II

Netflix:
Devilman Crybaby (Completed)
Violet Evergarden

Also planned to watch but not started (or hasn't aired yet):

Crunchyroll:
DARLING in the FRANXX
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
Junji Ito Collection
Record of Grancrest War

Netflix:

A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-
B: The Beginning
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
Sword Gai: The Animation

Lord Bacchus

Student Council President
Violet Evergarden ep 1 - Well it has hooked me in like a good first episode should, so no complaints there. Intriguing premise hinted at, and some of the best visuals I've ever seen in a TV anime.

Ancient Magus Bride ep 14 - This show continues to be brilliant. One of the more interesting fantasy worlds I've seen in anime. Shame the new opening isn't as good though.

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond ep 2-12 - I took series one of this as a pretty good action show, but series 2 has elevated it for me. Far more character driven than the first series, and the last two episodes in particular are magnificent. Some incredibly stellar moments, and one scene in episode 12 that was so well done I watched it a few times in awe.

Last edited:

Haven37

Brigade Leader
Fell behind on my binge watching in the last few days, but here we are again.

Cardcaptor Sakura
(Episodes 11-20):

Episode 11 was really good. Sakura goes to Tomoyo's house, and she lives in a mansion. We see more of Tomoyo's mother, and we find that she is actually Sakura's mum's cousin! Making her and Tomoyo distant relatives! The ending was sweet with the contents of the box. The Clow Card here was Sheild, this seems like it's going to be very useful.

Episode 12, and we learn more about how Clow Cards work. They apparently choose their master depending on who did the most in capturing it. Li manages to catch a card instead of Sakura! And it's a pretty OP one at that. I saw it somewhere that Li never managed to snatch a card away from Sakura in the manga, so this must have been quite the twist for fans.

Episodes 13, 14 & 15 where pretty boring to be honest. Basically filler episodes. Sakura captures Power, Mist and Float, while Li gets Storm.

Episode 16 was brilliant. I won't lie, it was a bit creepy in places. Sakura goes to a holiday cabin with her family and Yukito, and befriends a lonely old man who lives nearby. The creepy parts are with the old man, he seems nice enough at first. Making her tea and cakes, and playing tennis. But then he shows her his granddaughters room who is now dead, and then dresses Sakura in her outfits. This is where I was creeped out. And I was wondering why Sakura's father was ok with her going to an old mans house alone. In the end everything was cleared up and I felt sorry for the old man, and Sakura uses Rain to create a rainbow (something the old man's granddaughter loved) and ends on a happy note. Oh and the old man's granddaughter turns out to be Sakura's mum! Making him Sakura's great-grandfather! And Sakura's dad knew it was him that Sakura was going to see. I wonder why Nadeshiko's family hates Sakura's dad so much. What's with all the secrecy?!

Episode 17- Sakura has an outdoor activity class with the school, and they go to the beach. They play volleyball, swim, and catch fish. The next day their activity is a test of courag and Sakura,being the scaredy cat that she is, is dreading it. During the test, people start disappearing. Sakura and Li realize that it is the work of a clow card called Erase. After working up the courage Sakura captures it and everyone comes back, but with their memories erased. The only ones who remember are Sakura and Li. I felt so bad for Sakura this episode, I hate seeing her to afraid. She was basically full on crying, I wanted to help her :(

Episodes 18 & 19 where alright. They where mostly filler again, but the end of episode 19 did introduce us to a new character. Someone who Li knows from Hong Kong. Sakura caught Glow and Move cards in these episodes.

Episode 20 was great. I loved how competitive Meiling is with Sakura. It seems she's jealous that Sakura and Li might be a thing. We learn that she is Li's cousin, and that apparently she's also his fiance. Sakura's brother tells us that someone has been going around town beating up martial artists, and is a girl in strange clothes. I thought it would turn out to be Meiling haha! But it was a clow card called Fight, Sakura uses power (which she captured in episode 13) and captures it. It's funny that Meiling is very similar to Li when he was first introduced, and now he's being embarrassed with her outbursts toward Sakura. It shows how close he and Sakura have gotten in such a short time. I love the dynamic between the cardcaptors. We have Sakura, Kero-chan, Tomoyo, Syaoran Li (i'm going to have to call him his actual name now, now we have another Li) and Meiling Li.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
Cardcaptor Sakura-Episode 33

I kinda feel that burnout is starting to set in somewhat with this. I dunno, I like it and all, but I feel like the premise is being stretched too thin. It's better than it's ilk, I'll grant, at least the cards being unique each episode give it something, but I dunno, I just wish there was more plot.

Gakuen Babysitters-Episode 2

Still enjoy this a surprising amount, I like the mix of fun SoL antics and some genuine emotional moments.

Mitsuboshi Colours-Episode 2

This is the thing this season that seems designed specifically for me. It's literally just three girls running around doing nothing in particular, but I love it.

Dave1988

Thousand Master
Fate/Apocrypha-Episode 23

I'm unsure if it's just because I was falling asleep towards the end of this episode, but I'm genuinely unsure what happened in the last 5 minutes or so.

Cardcaptor Sakura-Episodes 1 and 2

Can I catch up on the first 70 episodes before Clear Card? Probably not, but I'll be damned if I won't try!
So does clear card follow on then? As I've not seen any original cardcaptor?

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
Been dedicating a lot of free time over the last week to anime, feels good.

I watched Devilman Crybaby, which was absolutely incredible from an artistic point of view, from its creative and kinetic storyboarding, catchy soundtrack (oh the OP, it has no right being as good as it is, really), beautiful animation flourishes and Yuasa's strong sense of style and direction. Being unfamiliar with the source material, I'm guessing it was strong on its own (and Nagai is known for being a trendsetter, and it shows). Highly recommended.

I'm also (re)watching Escaflowne (up to episode 18) which I'm enjoying quite a bit, even if its shoujo leanings end up tiring me a bit now and again. The soundtrack is indeed beautiful, but I'm not the hugest fan of the character design. Or rather the artstyle, as reflected on the character design. Those look like some deadly noses. Nothing that really impedes my enjoyment, though.

Up next is Ajin on Netflix. Up to episode 9. It's alright, so far? I don't really have a strong opinion on it, for now . Sato makes for an entertaining antagonist, so there's that.

Finally, I've started rewatching Casshern Sins, which is one of my all time favorites. Up to episode 5. I love the retro character designs so much. The fight scenes are brutal yet elegant and have great sound design. The world, though post-apocalyptic, is beautifully depicted and the soundtrack is one of my most memorable. It really resonated with me and I'm looking forward to continuing rewatching this.

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
5 2nd episodes:

Yuru Camp△
More camping goodness, with the girls we saw at the end of episode 1 getting a full introduction. I felt Rin was a bit harsh in ignoring Nadeshiko, but later regretted it..

Also
_20180114_161119.JPG

Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles
Ms. Koizumi opens up a bit with Yuus friends. I want to try some of the pineapple themed Ramen.

Katana Maidens ~ Toji No Miko
The events at the end of the first episode is explained. Seems all is not right in the Toji organisation. Slowish episode with a bit of action.

Record of Grancrest War
Still like watching a JRPG. They're in the recruitment phase, building the squad.

Citrus
Hints at more than just trashy love story. And is that younger character models of the main cast in the OP? Hinting that they've met before.

_20180114_215310.JPG

Lord Bacchus

Finally, I've started rewatching Casshern Sins, which is one of my all time favorites. Up to episode 5. I love the retro character designs so much. The fight scenes are brutal yet elegant and have great sound design. The world, though post-apocalyptic, is beautifully depicted and the soundtrack is one of my most memorable. It really resonated with me and I'm looking forward to continuing rewatching this.

Hmm, I've had the US BD of that on my shelf for about six years now. I recall watching one or two episodes of it and never touching it again. Perhaps I should give it another go.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Hmm, I've had the US BD of that on my shelf for about six years now. I recall watching one or two episodes of it and never touching it again. Perhaps I should give it another go.
Casshern Sins is pretty decent, it kind of got forgotten about when it got shafted to the SAVE line but I think it deserves some attention

Lord Bacchus

Casshern Sins is pretty decent, it kind of got forgotten about when it got shafted to the SAVE line but I think it deserves some attention

That's actually why I have it in the first place. I saw the full BD in the SAVE line for about £15 or less and thought it was worth getting just because it's rare to see a Blu-ray set that cheap. It was a little over my head at the time, but I have more patience for slow burners now than I did then. I'll probably give it another shot.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
That's actually why I have it in the first place. I saw the full BD in the SAVE line for about £15 or less and thought it was worth getting just because it's rare to see a Blu-ray set that cheap. It was a little over my head at the time, but I have more patience for slow burners now than I did then. I'll probably give it another shot.
I also discovered it via SAVE back when Rakuten still operated and used my points to buy the set from Allyourmusic for like £6. It was one of my earliest anime buys

Lord Bacchus

I also discovered it via SAVE back when Rakuten still operated and used my points to buy the set from Allyourmusic for like £6. It was one of my earliest anime buys

Yeah, if you have a region free player, the SAVE line is well worth digging through occasionally. The box art leaves a little to be desired, but if you wanna try something on the cheap it's probably the best way to do so besides just streaming it.