Your viewing journal

Diamond is Unbreakable ep28

I enjoyed that one a lot, but gee whiz, Araki must have been on the Sunny D when he wrote it.

Drifters ep1

That was everything I wanted an adaptation of the manga to be like. Keen to see what the op will look like when it drops.

Angel cop 02-04 Subbed

Meant to say the last time you mentioned it - a guy I follow on twitter apparently picked up an Angel Cop cel for $15 recently. I'm not really into cel collecting, but it's a pretty neat collectable for the price:

CtS7kO5WIAAJeF5.jpg:large

Haikyuu!! Season 3 Episode 01
Hibike! Euphonium Movie - I wish I'd known it would be available this week, I'd have held off on watching the season 2 premiere for a couple days.
Selector Destructed WIXOSS - A nice recap of Infected and Spread, even if it does feel far too fast-paced.

over the last week...

Izetta: The Last Witch ep 1. They should have just used the real country names, it's ridiculously obvious what everything is supposed to be.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans s2 ep 1. Yup, it's more shirtless gundam.

Natsume's Book of Friends
s1 ep 7-11.

When Marnie Was There. Watching a Ghibli film on DVD feels heretical in this day and age but I didn't have any other choice really. Beautiful film in every way, the story, animation, music, all gorgeous. A great send-off for Ghibli. Now if I could just watch it on BluRay...

Full Metal Panic-Episodes 21-24 (Complete)

Really enjoyed this series, I look forward to watching the sequels. I've heard Fumoffu and The Second Raid can be watched interchangably, but I think I'm going to stick with Fumoffu first.

Photo Kano-Episodes 8-10

Last edited:
Fumoffo is definitely the high point of the series - some of the best standalone episodic content in anime ever. There are some real action/comedy set pieces in there that stand out, even today - acing it even before the likes of Gintama got in on the act.

Assassination Classroom - Episodes 16-19 - Still enjoying it, don't actually have much to say about it though, what I will say is the subtitles are really annoying me. I dunno if this is a common thing I've never noticed or if it's just the lack of sleep over the past week but see when two people are talking and the person in the foregrounds subs (the ones you're supposed to be paying attention to) are the top set, then halfway through they switch to the bottom set of subs....so annoying, but again I dunno if it's just the lack of sleep is slowing down my reading or what, I may even be imagining it lol.

Izetta The Last Witch - Episode 2 - I'm pretty indifferent about this show to be honest and some of the dialog is just awful, think I'll give it one more episode to win me over before I drop it, shame as the premise sounded great.

Drifters - I knew nothing going into this, I picked it up as a lot of people seemed pretty hyped for it and I enjoyed it quite a bit in the end but tbh I'm still not entirely sure what it's actually about (like I get whats going on, I just dunno where the story plans on going.).

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu-Episodes 1-3

Episodes 1 and 3 were fairly good, but Episode 2 was downright hilarious, more like that one please.

Photo Kano-Episodes 11-13 (Complete)

Pretty glad that's out the way.

Hakkenden Eight Dogs of the East ep 17 - 26
Samurai Deeper KYO ep 4 - 7
Bungo Stray dogs ep 13
Yuri on Ice ep 1 I wasn't going to bother with this series, it didn't really look like something I would enjoy, but I thought I'll give it a go. I quite enjoyed the first episode. I'm going to stick with it for now.
Poco's Udon World ep 1
Flip Flappers
ep 1 not too sure about this series, I'll try a couple more but I think I may drop it.

Izetta episode 2 - Really enjoying this so far, great animation and soundtrack. No issues with the dialogue IMO.

Occultic 9 episode 1 - No idea what this was about it was a bit of a mess really

Crayon Shin-chan Episode 7 - The fansubs of this may be getting released slowly, but I enjoy watching each episode as they come out.
Wake Up, Girls! Movie Seishun No Kage - The wait for this has been far too long, but it was a great movie. I do kind of regret not waiting for the second movie to be subbed though.
I've Always Liked You - This was a great movie, if a little short, and I'm glad Aniplex put it on Crunchyroll. I should probably check out HoneyWorks at some point.
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+! Episode 2
Ao Oni The Animation Episode 2

I've still got plenty to catch up on from last season and the new season has already started. Oh well.

Amanchu! Episodes 9-12.

This has really been a brilliant show and the ending is impressively satisfying. I'd say one of the greatest strengths of the show has been it's character development, especially in terms of the two main characters. While we spend the most time with Teko and her issues with a lack of confidence and sense of isolation, I really enjoyed the way that the show managed to also develop Pikari's character. She could easily have just been a magical figure with no flaws and boundless positivity, but we gradually get more insight into her personality and she ends up being a fully rounded person (who just happens to have plenty of positivity).

Another highlight of the show is seeing the way that both characters (and, to an extent, those around them) benefit from their relationship. The presentation might not always be entirely realistic but there's something very real about the underlying themes and feelings that it deals with.

I suppose the one downside to the show is that the diving aspect is kind of forgotten for around half of the episodes (to the extent that it almost felt jarring when they returned to it), so anyone watching mostly for the diving would end up disappointed. Still, the show has excellent character work, an overall uplifting atmosphere that's handled well and some pretty solid humour so there are plenty of good reasons to watch it even without the diving.

It was really a great show, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more but even if there isn't any it makes for a satisfying whole and a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

This Art Club Has A Problem! / Kono Bijutsu-Bu Ni Wa Mondai Ga Aru! Episodes 1-12.

I quite enjoyed this show, it's not necessarily exceptional but it's fairly consistently entertaining. It's kind of a mixture of some light club/character comedy and a bit of relationship development with a slice of life feel. It doesn't really go all out on anything, there's a possibility of romance but it's not a main focus and the comedy isn't exactly relentless. The show doesn't even have the mood and atmosphere building of more relaxing slice of life shows. I don't think any of that is a complaint, because the show still manages to be enjoyable, but it keeps it's ambitions low and mostly just works as something entertaining but not outstanding.

One of the stronger points of the show is the gradual development of the relationship between the two main characters. It unfolds in a fairly natural way without being overly dramatic or focussing too much on making a point of any major developments. It does feel like two people gradually growing closer over time. There are similar developments with the other characters but the main two characters get by far the most attention in this department.

Depending on how you look at it, it could be a bit of a downside that there's not much actual romantic development. This is something else that feels vaguely realistic but can still be a little disappointing since it leaves things feeling somewhat unresolved from a story point of view. It does add to the slice of life feel of the show, there are frequent implications that there is more to the characters and their lives but we only get to see a limited part of that. Still, it's hard to say if this is simply because the characters don't get as much development as they could or if it's a deliberate aspect of the show.

Overall, it's a pretty good show with some nicely handled relationships and some entertaining, if perhaps underdeveloped, characters. It's probably worth a watch if you like similar shows and just want something easy to watch but it's probably not likely to be a favourite for many.

Assassination Classroom - Episodes 20-22 - I enjoyed this quite a bit, it more or less grew on me by the episode (sure someone else on here said the same thing actually) so I look forward to season 2, whenever that makes it over here anyway. Also, they managed to get through 19 episodes before they stuck him in a skirt, so well done them lol.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Iron-blooded Orphans - Episode 26 - Yup, this was an episode of IBO alright :p

Non Non Biyori is now in my life, and it is all the richer for it.

I'm happy you like it, Non Non Biyori is really great!
CWYhjisUEAAuImH.png

might as well go whole hog

I must say I quite thoroughly enjoyed the simplistic nature of this show and amazing background artwork that I could almost smell the morning dew

Interesting point I read somewhere on how it felt like a pretence for a spill into nightmare Higurashi territory, though it wasn't until I had already watched the series by the this point that it does have some similarities. Thank god it didn't , it would've spoilt the backgrounds immensely.

Another point that Renge makes or breaks this show, just like Mashrio from Engaged to the Unidentified. I doubt be half as entertaining

Teekyu 2: Episodes 1 - 12 [Complete]

Teekyu 3: Episode 1

The Crunchyroll pass finally expired Friday evening around 20:45 so never got to finish my umpteenth Teekyu Rewatch, Will probably pick a sub back up at some point, but for now I want to turn my focus elsewhere.

Sword Art Online: Episodes 8 - 14

These episodes of the series certainly had some intriguing stuff happening. Some interesting twists and some bittersweet moments on show!

Back