Your controversial anime opinions.

Fantastic. Let me take a crack at some of these.
Not sure if this counts as controversial but it's all I can think of that goes against the grain, so my contribution to the thread is that Angel Beats is complete and utter garbage.
Yep, that's plenty controversial for me, because I rate Angel Beats very highly. I've seen it a few times now and have yet to make it through episodes ten and thirteen without tears. There are some genuinely great laughs to be had along the way as well. You must have a concrete block in place of a heart or something, @Buzzkillington! :p
I think My Romantic Teen Comedy Snafu is literally the worst thing ever. See here.
Judging by the first episode (which I didn't get beyond) , I couldn't disagree with that! What awful characters.
The original Ghost in the Shell is boring as all hell
I wouldn't go quite that far, but I was quite underwhelmed by it when I first saw it. (Although, to be perfectly fair, it was the 2.0 version I saw first; the original is far superior.) I'd say I "appreciate" GitS, but without being a massive fan of it. Haven't seen either series of SAC; I've seen The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven to get a flavour of what it's about, but I don't think I'd want to sit through two entire series of it. It seems kinda heavy-going.
Akira is also over praised, but I still find it enjoyable. I actually need to watch it again some time, perhaps in Japanese.
Confession: I didn't see Akira until 2011. I went into it thinking "I'm sure it was groundbreaking in its day, but..."
About twelve minutes in I'd already changed my tune to "Oh my god! This is incredible! Why did no-one tell me it was this good?" (To which the answer should've been "We've been telling you for bloody years. You just wouldn't listen.")
Also, if you haven't seen Akira in Japanese, you haven't seen Akira. ;)
Nisemonogatari's toothbrush sequence is a work of art.
I watched a YouTube clip of the toothbrushing scene only recently. Put it this way: I went from not being particularly interested in Monogatari to reeeally preferring to just avoid it.
Punch Line is a fantastic series.
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to.
When Supernatural Battles Become Common Place is the second best thing Trigger has produced.
Given that Trigger were responsible for Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia and Denkou Choujin Gridman from Khara's Animator Expo project, Supernatural Battles doesn't make my top three. Don't get me wrong: I do own a copy; I bought it just for the Hatoko rant scene alone! The series as a whole is very unremarkable, though, I feel. What do you rate as being Trigger's first-best thing, Lemon?

Given that Trigger were responsible for Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia and Denkou Choujin Gridman from Khara's Animator Expo project, Supernatural Battles doesn't make my top three. Don't get me wrong: I do own a copy; I bought it just for the Hatoko rant scene alone! The series as a whole is very unremarkable, though, I feel. What do you rate as being Trigger's first-best thing, Lemon?

Definitely Kill la Kill, but I prefer Supernatural Battles to Kiznaiver, Ninja Slayer and both of the LWA shorts. I'm not watching the LWA TV series yet because it's not legally streaming, but I definitely want to, so we'll see if that changes my mind. If you are interested, I did write a full review when Manga released it a few months back.

Hoorah! :D

I've only seen the first LWA short, and I love it. I've held off on the sequel so far in case of a UK release. (Although given that the Japanese BD already has English subs, maybe that's not very likely. :()

They're both on Netflix, if that's something you have, it's where I saw them. I prefer the sequel, personally. Still not as good as Supernatural Battles though! ;D

I am finding myself agreeing with a lot of these opinions and disagreeing with others, which is interesting.

- The only good thing to come out of the entire Fate series has been Fate/Zero.
- Amnesia was actually good and everyone else is sharing some weird mass hallucination.
- The Cowboy Bebop sub is still better than its dub.
- Guys walking in on girls changing or just standing around naked in their rooms (then accidentally groping them) hasn't been funny or exciting for a very long time. I don't think this is especially controversial but someone really needs to get the message across so that comedy anime can finally move on.
- Harem leads are universally better when they are jerks, actual perverts or both at once.
- Prison School writes its female characters better than any given moe school show.

I haven't seen Keijo!!!!!!!! either, but from what a friend who has seen it tells me, it's played straight. As in, it models itself after proper sports anime. :D I don't know how true that is, since the clips I've seen in passing on Facebook look truly ludicrous, and I can't imagine a world where that show takes itself seriously.

It's a bit of a mix. The girls in the show definitely treat it as a serious sport worthy of the utmost respect, but the audience is very much in on the joke along with the staff. I thought it was oddly watchable for something with such an openly terrible premise; it's just silly.

R

I watched a YouTube clip of the toothbrushing scene only recently. Put it this way: I went from not being particularly interested in Monogatari to reeeally preferring to just avoid it.

Did you even watch the AMV I posted? :D Say what you like about it, but it's probably the single most creative ecchi scene I've ever witnessed in an anime.

I was majorly concerned when Nisemonogatari was being rated for a UK release that the BBFC might not take too kindly to the toothbrush scene. Thankfully it slipped through with an 18 rating uncut. :D

Although I personally like Fate/Stay Night (the VN and the ufotable anime at least), I do think Zero is definitely the best thing to come out of the franchise. I'm in a situation where I really wish they would stop milking Fate and give Tsukihime some love though. I think it had a far superior story and tighter narrative structure, and while Fate has become a sprawling franchise which had its VN ported to multiple consoles, the original Tsukihime has gone out of print and become abandonware which fetches a truly ludicrous price when it crops up on an auction site.

- Guys walking in on girls changing or just standing around naked in their rooms (then accidentally groping them) hasn't been funny or exciting for a very long time. I don't think this is especially controversial but someone really needs to get the message across so that comedy anime can finally move on.

Yeah, I'm not sure who that scene is put in for anymore. It's such a predictable development that I can usually call it well in advance of it happening. :D

- Harem leads are universally better when they are jerks, actual perverts or both at once.
Agreed, spineless harem protagonists are the blandest and most frustrating archetype of all. School Days had the right idea. Make him a monster, and then bring brutal retribution down upon him. Or make him the ultimate pervert, like Kintarou from Golden Boy. Golden Boy should be the (excuse this) gold standard for harem protagonists. :D

Last edited:
- Prison School writes its female characters better than any given moe school show.

Probably not seen enough school moe shows to really compare, but I'd be inclined to agree. Look past the top layer of gross-out humour and Prison School is surprisingly sophisticated in how it constructs both plot and characters.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks to Fate/Zero I had quite high hopes for the Fate/stay night adaptation by Ufotable, but was very disappointed (apart from the overall eye-candy and fight scenes).

Despite being good, the storytelling in Monster cripples it by telling and not showing.
While I haven't seen Monster yet, it's a big problem with most anime IMO. Everything always has to be spelled out or, even worse, given flashbacks within five minutes of the scene in question being shown.

Not sure if all of the following are actually considered controversial or not, but here goes:
  1. AnoHana is not a very sad anime or at least in no way a tearjerker.
  2. Same goes for Plastic Memories
  3. The 2003 adaptation of FMA was in many ways better than FMA:B
  4. 'Your name.' is visually a step down from Shinkai's earlier works
  5. Three things any anime hardly ever gets right: 'show don't tell', endings (if there is actually one) and pacing
  6. The second season of Chuunibyou is just as good as the first one
  7. Asuka was one of the weaker characters in Hibike! Euphonium
  8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica should have focused on any other character than Madoka for a more interesting story

While I haven't seen Monster yet, it's a big problem with most anime IMO. Everything always has to be spelled out or, even worse, given flashbacks within five minutes of the scene in question being shown.

I think you misunderstood, Monster is flawed because it doesn't spell things out enough. There aren't any flashbacks despite the fact that the whole series is about uncovering the past. Everyone is just described, which is far too vague and just left me feeling muddled and confused most of the time.

I think you misunderstood, Monster is flawed because it doesn't spell things out enough. There aren't any flashbacks despite the fact that the whole series is about uncovering the past. Everyone is just described, which is far too vague and just left me feeling muddled and confused most of the time.
Ah, I indeed interpreted it the other way around, my bad :oops:
Still I think anime generally tends to heavy-hand everything as if the viewers can't remember a single thing.

And I still haven't watched either! Is that admission par for this thread's course?

I'll add to that a little and say that though I have seen it, and acknowledge it is good, I've never thought it was anywhere near as good as people claim it is. It doesn't even break into my top twenty, and probably not my top thirty either.

Fantastic. Let me take a crack at some of these.

Yep, that's plenty controversial for me, because I rate Angel Beats very highly. I've seen it a few times now and have yet to make it through episodes ten and thirteen without tears. There are some genuinely great laughs to be had along the way as well. You must have a concrete block in place of a heart or something, @Buzzkillington! :p
It will come as no surprise that you are not the first person to suggest such, and I very much doubt you'll be the last. :p I hated pretty much everything about it tbh.

I'm just gonna throw my one out there.

Kill La Kill is way too over hyped and isn't as funny as it likes to think it is.

AnoHana is not a very sad anime or at least in no way a tearjerker.
Hahaha, that's a good one... oh wait you're serious?

Monster is flawed because it doesn't spell things out enough. There aren't any flashbacks despite the fact that the whole series is about uncovering the past. Everyone is just described, which is far too vague and just left me feeling muddled and confused most of the time.
Yeah, I often felt lost when watching Monster, I felt like I skipped an episode sometimes as they seem to know something I hadn't found out yet.

I don't think SAO is the worst thing ever, nor does my love for it burn with the passion of a thousand suns. While it isn't the greatest anime out there, it has a decent entertainment factor, and in my opinion, calling it the worst anime ever is pretty ridiculously hyperbolic. I mean, have the people hating on it to such a huge degree ever even seen TRULY bad anime if they think SAO is the worst anime ever?

*waits for the **** to hit the proverbial fan*

Back