Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

An update:
AOL sorted me out quite nicely I have to say. A+ for them! If anyone has any problem with them, don't worry to contact them, they are truly a reliable shop!

POINT OF INTEREST.

Some time ago, I believe that it was reported that the threshold below which import taxes do not have to paid was going to be lowered.

Yes. LOWERED.

Anybody got any firm news on whether this DISGRACEFUL idea was actually enacted? I believe it was due to come into effect from the middle of this month.

HdE said:
POINT OF INTEREST.

Some time ago, I believe that it was reported that the threshold below which import taxes do not have to paid was going to be lowered.

Yes. LOWERED.

Anybody got any firm news on whether this DISGRACEFUL idea was actually enacted? I believe it was due to come into effect from the middle of this month.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... =RESOURCES
Please note that with effect from 1 November 2011 the £18 threshold will be reduced to £15.

Hope this answers your query HdE.

Soon it's actually going to be cheaper to go on holiday to one of the US states with no sales tax and bring back a suitcase full of DVDs.

Hmm... it might even be worth paying for extra baggage allowance and taking orders for a 10% premium. I wonder how much you would have to sell to pay for the trip? I have to go work this out...

mangaman74 said:
HdE said:
POINT OF INTEREST.

Yes. LOWERED.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... =RESOURCES
Please note that with effect from 1 November 2011 the £18 threshold will be reduced to £15.

Hope this answers your query HdE.

And from next year, the Jersey tax breaks that e-tailers took advantage of, the Low Value Consignment Relief, will be abolished, so prices will be going up at Play and Amazon and the like.

Real smart Osborne, he wants to restore the balance so that high street stores are no longer unfairly put out by the e-tailers. Which would be all well and good if there were any ****ing shops left on the high street. Ye pudge faced moron!

Very bad news - and worthy of letters to MPs, I think. ;)

HOWEVER - I believe that a good number of marketplace / playtrade sellers pay these associated costs ahead of time, so a little time spent learning who's reliable should help import fiends to avoid being stung with the EQUALLY DISGUSTING handling fees levied by the likes of Royal Mail and Parcel Force.

Obviously, these cosys have to be passed on to the customer somehow, but hopefully it'll not be TOO painful.

Are you talking about VAT, or import duty? Import duty is waived up to a much higher threshold than VAT, and I haven't heard about that changing.

He's talking about "handling" which is a flat fee (I didn't think it was £13 though). It covers the cost of them reading the label on the package and then not delivering it to you. It also covers the cost of opening and inspecting the package, which doesn't ever happen if the customs form on the package isn't in doubt (I think I've only once had anything opened, and that was from ebay).

I mind paying both VAT and the handling charge, but the latter is obscene considering they do exactly the same thing for no charge (hold for collection) if you aren't in to receive a domestic parcel. Last time I had one held it was £8, but that was over a year ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the handling charge is subject to VAT as well, and that's why it's gone up!

Shiroi Hane said:
He's talking about "handling" which is a flat fee (I didn't think it was £13 though). It covers the cost of them reading the label on the package and then not delivering it to you. It also covers the cost of opening and inspecting the package, which doesn't ever happen if the customs form on the package isn't in doubt (I think I've only once had anything opened, and that was from ebay).
Sorry, I didn't mean Lawro (£13.50 is still the handling fee from Parcelforce, robbing basts), I meant the guy who bumped the thread. This is the problem with old forum software and lack of threading. :-/

I've paid enough in handling fees over the years to know what they are. ^^;

My last order with Amazon.com (which arrived yesterday) took two days short of three weeks. I find it's generally somewhere between 2-3. But this is Royal Mail in the festive season we're talking about, so I'd expect anything you ordered now to arrive in say, March.

Usually around a week or ten days, for me, except for one time when they sent the thing to the wrong address. The replacement turned up in about ten days or so, by which time the person who received it by mistake had sent the "original" on to me.

If you want to buy something from Amazon.com does it share the same account details as Amazon.co.uk? or do you need to make another account?

Back