Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

Planning on buying something from Axel next time I get my disability payment - anyone know what the delivery charges are like?

Cathe said:
Planning on buying something from Axel next time I get my disability payment - anyone know what the delivery charges are like?

Shipping and Handling charges are around GBP 1.79 for each item you have.

Then you have a fee of GBP 2.48 for the whole order for Handling, routing, customs that sort of thing.

Also payment is done in either US Dollars or Canadian Dollars

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Cathe said:

Shipping and Handling charges are around GBP 1.79 for each item you have.

Then you have a fee of GBP 2.48 for the whole order for Handling, routing, customs that sort of thing.

Also payment is done in either US Dollars or Canadian Dollars
Their prices include VAT, so there isn't any customs as it counts as being from within the EU.
It's just normal US to Uk shipping of ~£1-£2

Reaper gI said:
Their prices include VAT, so there isn't any customs as it counts as being from within the EU.
It's just normal US to Uk shipping of ~£1-£2

They upped their shipping charges recently to including a standard fee per item and then a handling fee.

I have heard that they're no longer as safe a haven as AxelMusic for VAT purposes, though such a matter may or may not be relevant to your concerns.

Zin5ki said:
I have heard that they're no longer as safe a haven as AxelMusic for VAT purposes, though such a matter may or may not be relevant to your concerns.
Shane PlanetAxel don't sell AniplexUSA titles T_T.

Yup, I think Rui has been hit by customs on TRSI orders a couple of times now, and today I received my first hit from them. If I have, then what has annoyed me is that the letter is from Parcelforce - why aren't TRSI shipping via some method that gets handed over to "regular" Royal Mail when it gets to this country? Parcelforce can go **** a **** the ****s.

ilmaestro said:
Yup, I think Rui has been hit by customs on TRSI orders a couple of times now, and today I received my first hit from them. If I have, then what has annoyed me is that the letter is from Parcelforce - why aren't TRSI shipping via some method that gets handed over to "regular" Royal Mail when it gets to this country? Parcelforce can go **** a **** the ****s.
How much I get hit for will be the deciding factor on where I order volume 2 and 3 of Madoka Magica from.

I completely agree about Parcelforce. It seems that when only a couple of items are shipped now from TRSI, it still goes by Royal Mail, but when it gets over a certain value (exact maths unknown) their horrible international shipper hands it over to Parcelforce instead. There's probably some insurance value that decides who takes it (or just weight) but I wish I knew what it was, so I could avoid spending two hours on a round trip to the Parcelforce depot every now and again to be given dirty looks for having to pay customs charges :s

R

I have to admit, PlanetAxel is slowly heading higher up my 'to buy from' list simply for the fact I dont have to worry about that.
I still buy from Rightstuf and occasionally elsewhere, but when there's £1/2 in it, PlanetAxel and it's speed and lack of customs risk is edging it.

I've been getting all of my recent American imports from PlanetAxel - I'm extremely paranoid about customs (Well, when I'm on only £150 a month, even a £20 charge is pretty big).

My Puella Magi Madoka Magica Limited Edition Volume 1 was my first ever order from RightStuf. I'm waiting to see if I get hit - and how much I have to pay, before I decide whether to pre-order the other volumes from them or UP1.

Rui said:
I completely agree about Parcelforce. It seems that when only a couple of items are shipped now from TRSI, it still goes by Royal Mail, but when it gets over a certain value (exact maths unknown) their horrible international shipper hands it over to Parcelforce instead. There's probably some insurance value that decides who takes it (or just weight) but I wish I knew what it was, so I could avoid spending two hours on a round trip to the Parcelforce depot every now and again to be given dirty looks for having to pay customs charges :s
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Any future orders "required" from TRSI shall be made on an individual item basis, I think, even with how much more expensive that makes the shipping feel.

It's definately luck.
I got two orders from Rightstuf in January from the Christmas sales. The most expensive of the two (and biggest) made it through customs without getting charged, the smaller of the two packages got custom charged.

Go figure lol

I would suggest you to look for a company that deals with private imports from the USA. There are a couple in Italy, so I suppose there will be one in the UK too. I never used any of them directly, but a handful of friends did so and they are really happy. These companies work in this way: you tell them what you want to buy from the USA, they calculate the total amount of money, you pay, the US division of this company buys your items, then package them in a container with all the orders by other people, send this container to Italy dealing with customs, and then the Italian division sends you your package. If you make various orders at the same time then you can save a good amount of money on shipping costs. If you write to your Embassy in the USA then you can get some infos, since usually people in the Embassy use these companies to send stuff to their home country. Since they work with the Embassy you are pretty safe with their services.

Teo

Back