What you guys doing right now.

Need to keep your registry clean! :)
24D35F7C-1953-484F-AFE1-4B691D78C888.jpeg
You’d think with the amount of unnecessary background processes I never asked for and need to manually disable so my drives aren’t being constantly churned by the likes of superfetch, compatibility telemetry and background defragging (oh, and Windows Defender deciding recently to scan the files some games are accessing while I am playing them causing massive load-time increases) that MS would at least have included one to do that for me...

Last edited:
Today is my 60th Birthday, so I'm now officially a Grumpy Old Curmudgeon! I'm going out for dinner at a Shogun Japanese Steakhouse restaurant with my family and the next door neighbors, maybe I'll be able to try my very first bowl of Ramen, its on the menu, yay! Then it's back to my house for cake and ice cream, and then the neighbors will be staying to watch some more Fate/stay night (Studio Deen) in the theater afterwards. We're somewhere around Episode 17 or 18, so we may be able to finish the series off tonight. Then it will be on to Fate/Zero! 👍

Then tomorrow at 6:15 am I get cataract surgery on the second eye, so then I'll be able to see clearly again for the first time in about 3 years. What a great Birthday present! 🥳

Today is my 60th Birthday, so I'm now officially a Grumpy Old Curmudgeon! I'm going out for dinner at a Shogun Japanese Steakhouse restaurant with my family and the next door neighbors, maybe I'll be able to try my very first bowl of Ramen, its on the menu, yay! Then it's back to my house for cake and ice cream, and then the neighbors will be staying to watch some more Fate/stay night (Studio Deen) in the theater afterwards. We're somewhere around Episode 17 or 18, so we may be able to finish the series off tonight. Then it will be on to Fate/Zero! 👍

Then tomorrow at 6:15 am I get cataract surgery on the second eye, so then I'll be able to see clearly again for the first time in about 3 years. What a great Birthday present! 🥳
Happy Birthday! 🥳

Listening to Parallel Universe by Red Hot Chili Peppers while I sit on my bed typing this (and tbh not wearing many clothes). Been up since half past two this morning and had one iced coffee, brushed my teeth, taken a shower, brushed my hair, been on a mile walk and eaten breakfast, I actually feel really good rn, getting up this early has such a good vibe this time of year yanno? :) 👍

I am waiting to hear back from someone I've made, erm, "plans" with today and for my laundry to need switching over again, while I chat to friends online and listen to the awesome Japanese cover of Say So by Doja Cat :)

Sick of experiencing the crappy present, I decided to retreat into the past and continue my family history research, only to learn that some distant relative overseas has filled in quite a few gaps for me recently via access to sources I wasn’t aware of.

Few things make me feel connected to history like reading a rather lurid account of how one of my female ancestors almost beat another woman to death with a rock and by kicking her in her “most secret parts” while her husband stood by and egged her on, and she had to be prevented from committing actual murder by another relative who happened to be a bailiff. Or the time another relative beat up a church official for questioning his religiosity, but was mates with the local Earl who decided the church official probably deserved it and threatened to kill all the bailiffs if they didn’t let him off. This isn’t even counting the ones who were doinking noblewomen, getting excommunicated and on one notable occasion, hanged for refusing to swear allegiance to the King.

So much makes sense now, though I’m not certain mixing Italian hot-bloodedness and Scottish hard-headedness was really the best idea.

Last edited:
Just anime in general. The good and bad. The highs and lows. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. The trials and tribulations.

Also about when I'm finally going to get around to watching some of these shows I've had sitting around for about 10 years 😅

Ahh, gotcha. I think about that stuff too sometimes. I'm working on my backlog rn, currently just over halfway through Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex 2nd GIG on Blu-ray :)

@ayase that was a wild ride! I've never really looked into my family history cuz for me personally it doesn't feel relevant but go you :) 👍 Remember that you get to choose how you behave and they don't define you if you don't want them to :)

@ayase that was a wild ride! I've never really looked into my family history cuz for me personally it doesn't feel relevant but go you :) 👍 Remember that you get to choose how you behave and they don't define you if you don't want them to :)
To a large extent yeah, I think we are primarily a product of our experiences and we certainly possess free will, but genetics undoubtedly plays some part in who we are as a well (I don’t have the connections to get away with assaulting religious leaders anyway, and the tyranny of the government isn’t bad enough for me to want to martyr myself... yet. I’d totally be down for marrying to increase my landholdings though, even better if it’s to a woman with some fire in her, some things never change).

It probably helps I have an interest in history in general, but it’s particularly fascinating to me to consider all the people who had to exist, the experiences they had and the decisions they made that led to my own unique existence both as a blend of genes and the circumstances into which I was born. If some guy hadn’t decided to uproot himself from Italy five hundred years ago and move to Scotland, I would be somewhere else (or I would be someone else, depending on your view of what consciousness is and how and why it is you who is experiencing it as an individual from a particular meat-mech, why you are you, that remains a mystery to me) just like if the bullet that went through the bridge of my great-grandfather’s nose in WW1 had been a couple of inches to one side I might not be here at all. Even a single second in someone else’s life might mean the difference between one, a dozen, a thousand unique individuals existing or not. Which is kind of amazing to think about.

Last edited:
If some guy hadn’t decided to uproot himself from Italy five hundred years ago and move to Scotland
We have a similar story in my family. My dad's done all the work on his side and I've done a bit on my mum's side.

My dad mother's side is from a French Huguenot family who left France in the events in the aftermath of the French Wars of Religion which had won the Huguenots religious freedom, but was eroded away again till the treaty was revoked in 1685.

My surname most probably comes from Old Norse and thus could have over anywhere from the 800s when Vikings started to settle to 1066 when the Normans (North men ie from Scandinavia) came over.

And my mum's mum is Dutch and met my grandad in the aftermath of WWII. He had been too young to see much action, but was over there on peace keeping duty. I haven't done any research into this side yet.

My English grandfather's side is the most dull, mostly farm labourers and such.

Back