What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

Was never a big fan of The Silent Man, acoustic ballads never really do anything for me, but this live version from Scenes from New York, which sees the whole band playing instead of just Petrucci, is really great. LaBrie's vocal performance is absolutely fantastic, and they add a kick-ass guitar and piano solo to boot! Really been listening to it a lot recently. Dream Theater have a habit of having live versions of songs that sound way better than some of the studio material. Stuff like Hollow Years from the Live at Budokan album, The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee and Take The Time from Chaos in Motion all take the studio versions and build upon them and expand on the originals greatly. Hell, the Budokan version of Hollow Years contains what is one of Petrucci's best guitar solos, and it is totally absent on the original studio recording.

The band recently confirmed that they have finished writing the new album, and are currently in the process of recording it, aiming for a Q1 2019 release. From what they've said in interviews, it's going to be a big improvement from their last effort. The entire band is involved in the writing process this time, and they've promised it's going heavy again after a rather ballad filled last album. I'm very excited to see what they do, and hopefully I can catch them on tour this time!

Lofi still reigns supreme at the moment. I love the Facebook pages where fan vids are made using anime. Anime and lofi is bae. Same as Bojack and lofi.

Also love songs from The Neighbourhood and Tame Impala at the moment. My music taste is going crazy vague and less known.

Saying that, LOVE Youngblood by 5 Seconds Of Summer. Wasn't expecting to.

The collage set to the lyrics is amazing, Godley and Creme were an obscure duo but had wacky and weird hits.
Quite like what I've heard from them. My personal favourites of theirs are "Under your Thumb" and the obvious favourite "cry"
What I found out recently is that they were involved in a fair few famous music videos from around that time including Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" and Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Two Tribes"

I'm trying to find more of the OST for c.g berserk, the sound track is probably the best thing about it, it would have probably been better if they took more time to adapt it faithfully and do them in trios like they did the golden age, the advent film ended up looking amazing, but meh "we're doing c.g and we have a week"

Ash "Physical World" - from the "A-Z Part: II" series. The "albums" are nothing spectacular, but well worth a listen in my opinion. There's tracks that are "classic Ash" and also tracks that sound a bit more progressive and experimental (well, experimental for them at least). Wheeler's voice has matured a bit more as well (he's not got the greatest singing voice but it suits their music I think). "Arcadia", "Dionysian Urge", "Insects" - top tunes 👍

As a band, they're not a favourite by any stretch, but they're still pretty special - not because of any astounding musical quality, but just because their sound is so nostalgic and some of Wheeler's lyrics really do hit the spot ("Shining Light" 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 ). Much of their earlier stuff is a bit really cheesy I'll admit (the stuff from the mid 90's when they were riding the Grunge wave); their later stuff is far better quality (lyrically and musically) in my personal opinion. But hey, we all go through phases, right? Overall though, their sound is catchy, it's uplifting and personally, I enjoy it. "Meltdown" is a top album (I did have a copy of that one, as well as the "A-Z" series, and their "Intergalactic Sonic 7"'s", but after my split with ex#3, I got rid of loads of stuff, including lots of my music :eek:). Charlotte Hatherly added another dimension with her backing vocals (I think that gave them their trademark sound), but even without her presence, they can still deliver. I'm not a gig or festival goer these days (no interest anymore), but I had the privelage of seeing them at V Festival in 2003 - they were really good! I fell in love with Tim Wheeler that day as well (well, his Irish accent at least) 😄 😅 😆 - he was a dish to 16 year old me!

Okay, I've gushed enough now 😅 I'd say whilst they're not a band I listen to as much as I used to, they've still got some pretty special tunes (nay belters) that I really enjoy coming back to every now and then. Top band 🙂

I've been waiting for this! It's the first single from Haken's upcoming fifth album, Vector. It's really proggy as expected, but far more riff heavy than their last album, whilst maintaining the 80's retro tinge. Brilliant stuff, cannot wait for the full album in October!

I see Muse's next album is going full 80s. Their songs leading up to this have all been pretty different so I'm interested to what styles they'll experiment with next.

Back