What manga are you reading now?

My long-awaited copy of Volume 14 of Karneval by Touya Mikanagi (Yen Press) arrived yesterday - and it's good to read such a satisfying resolution of this 28-volume series which has taken the story and characters far beyond the volumes covered in the anime series. The Yen Press 2-in-1 volumes have more than done justice to the art, with plenty of colour plates and the cover images that were originally under the dust jackets in the Japanese editions faithfully reproduced.
karneval 14.jpg

I finished Zombie Powder.

I can't remember if I read this years ago or got bored and gave up. I wouldn't blame past me if it was the latter.

It's not awful - just very very generic shonen stuff. I only finished it a few days ago and I'm already forgetting the character names and what they did.

If you enjoyed Black Cat and wanted to read a worse version, Zombie Powder could be for you!

Vinland Saga vol 22
Final orders.
An arc that was basically a distraction from what was happening and dragged on for too long with not much of an impactful outcome, especially compared to the first 2 arcs. It also brought in some of the goofier elements of the very early chapters when it was published in a Shounen magazine including the return of Thorkell, who's basically a massive man child, and the introduction of a new character who is also an OTT Shounen-esque character. But there were also some of the more serious moments that made the first 2 arcs great, so there was a real tonal clash.

The Witches of Adamas Volume 4
Always interesting 🥵

Just finished Asumi-Chan is interested in Lesbian Brothel's.
Romance

Sitting in the the pub waiting on my pal and as it's been ages since 5, I'm reading
The Elder Sister-like One volume 6.
It arrived today.
Weird story that has ominous undertones.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody ch 93

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 93.1 - 93.3

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 261 - 262

Lust Geass ch 49.5

In Another World With My Smartphone ch 75

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World ch 69

Tales of Wedding Rings ch 74

Tsugumomo ch 155

I finished Mermaid Saga.

Wonderful writing and art (exactly as I'd expect from Rumiko Takahashi), but it got very samey very quickly.

I expected some progression, but it was mostly just the two main characters travelling around and getting themselves in the same situations over and over with very minor differences. The "surprises" stopped being surprising early on and nothing really advanced between the first chapter and the last.

I still enjoyed it, but I've also watched Endless Eight multiple times, so yeah.

You Like Me, Not My Daughter?! Volume 1 - OMG so cute I love this, will def be reading the rest at some point 🥰

Kare Kano Volume 9 - Very powerful! I loved the culture festival play, still getting a lot out of this series and interested to see how Masami Tsuda will balance the main storyline with the side-story content :)

Kare Kano Volume 10 - I am enjoying these side stories but glad to see that it looks like the series will get back on with the main storyline soon according to the blurbs on the back of the individual volumes, just because I feel that that storyline needs and deserves better than just occasional attention in between side stories. But this series does have a great extended cast of characters and it's a pleasure to spend a bit more time with them before it gets back on track with resolving Arima's traumatic early childhood, his issues stemming from that, and how that is affecting his relationship with Miyazawa. I do appreciate that the side stories provide some real insight into the way all the characters weave together and interact rather than purely "and then x couple got together because wish fulfillment/neat tidy bow resolutions etc. etc." :)

Last edited:
 Audiobooks
So I'm A Spider, So What? volume 4
Wasn't expecting to actually get an explanation for the whole reincarnation mechanic that the premise is built on but it was a nice addition. These books have really hit their stride now.

Reincarnated As The Last Of My Kind vol 4
Been a while since I listened to vol 3 but its nice to revisit it. Things have changed for our heroine now she has a grand mission and people treat her differently but the series is still primarily focused on SOL stuff and her attempts to navigate them. We get more world and story developments in the sections from her father and sisters POV.

Forging Divinity by Andrew Rowe. The start of another series of his set in the same world as the previous books I read. A really fun listen with a great trio of main characters. Magic, Swords, Gods and spies!

Stealing Sorcery by Andrew Rowe. This time the gang are split into 2 main storylines. One is a tournament arc of sorts. Where a group are undergoing tests to become Paladins. The other, more engaging storyline it a murder mystery plot. A good sequel with good world building and a fun set of characters.

I also read a huge bunch of comics that had built up from kickstarters. A mix of horror, action, superhero and erotic comics. By and large they were all decent to great.

I have been sick so decided to read a more popular yuri series to see what the fuss was about. Up until now I have tended to avoid any yuri set in a high school which obviously severely limited what I could read (although I have still collected A LOT).

Read: Bloom Into You vol 1-8. I am utterly in love with this series and have been obsessively re-reading the last two and a half volumes since I finished it. Sometimes really popular things are popular because they're just really good, that's lesson learned for me.

I have been sick so decided to read a more popular yuri series to see what the fuss was about. Up until now I have tended to avoid any yuri set in a high school which obviously severely limited what I could read (although I have still collected A LOT).

Read: Bloom Into You vol 1-8. I am utterly in love with this series and have been obsessively re-reading the last two and a half volumes since I finished it. Sometimes really popular things are popular because they're just really good, that's lesson learned for me.

I'd recommend the Adachi and Shimamura light novels if you want a popular (I think?), awesome yuri series to read, I'm only on Volume 2 but I love the novels and the anime adaptation they did as well. I'm sorry you've been ill, I was wondering how you were doing the other day as I saw you in my followers list when I was looking at my about section on here trying to remember if I had actually written anything in it! I hope you are feeling better now, or at least somewhat better? :)

I'd recommend the Adachi and Shimamura light novels if you want a popular (I think?), awesome yuri series to read, I'm only on Volume 2 but I love the novels and the anime adaptation they did as well. I'm sorry you've been ill, I was wondering how you were doing the other day as I saw you in my followers list when I was looking at my about section on here trying to remember if I had actually written anything in it! I hope you are feeling better now, or at least somewhat better? :)
Adachi and Shimamura has been on my radar for sure. I'm gonna start reading more of the series involving high schoolers now, I'd been cutting out a huge number of series for basically no solid reason.

And thank you, I've not been eating enough and lost a pretty noticeable amount of weight in the last two weeks but feel a bit better so hopefully I'm on the mend.

Back