What manga are you reading now?

Outbreak Company (LN) vol 8
For a lot of this volume, I thought Lauron had some kind of learning difficulty. But no, a sensitive examination of that wasn't likely to come from an LN like this. Not that this volume was bad, exactly. I feel like my own expectations betrayed me somewhat with it. It was mainly building for future volumes anyway.

Cooking With Wild Game (LN) vol 2
I must say, I like how this LN has been going so far. It's like Grimgar, a "realistic" isekai. And this volume really brought that home. Yes, everything ended up working out. But it wasn't simply the otherworld falling at the feet of the protag. Which was very nice to read.

Outbreak Company volume 8 (light novel)

Cooking with Wild Game volume 2 (light novel)

That Time I Got Reincarnated Into a Slime volume 5 - Millim next volume <3

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Sword Oratoria volume 8 (light novel) - Didn't enjoy this one a great deal because I'm not much of a Beta fan and him being the main character soured it a bit. Also while I'm enjoying these background stories, I wouldn't mind getting back on track with the main plot. :(

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom volume 1 - Not sure this works as well as a manga rather than a light novel. It's just a bit too dialogue heavy. Going to keep reading anyway because I want to see some of the cute scenes in manga form.

Reborn as a Vending Machine, Now I Wander the Dungeon (LN) vol 3
The novelty was beginning to wear off a bit, really. Becoming a bit formulaic. Also, the whole "I'm a vending machine so don't feel anything but these girls are cute" thing it has going on is happening just a bit too much to be comfortable. I was expecting the entire volume to end with yet more dull predictability, but near the end it did drop a surprise and potential for an actual plot. It did immediately undo the initial damage (i.e. two character deaths), which lessened the impact a bit, but it does at least make me want to try to continue reading it.

Anyway, next up is 86. Which I've just noticed currently has a rating of 8.61 on MAL and is ranked #85. So close.
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime volume 6

Spirit Chronicles volume 1
When you posted about volume 5 I thought "huh, it's out already?" and I just had the same thought with volume 6... took me a few minutes to realise you were referring to the manga :p

When you posted about volume 5 I thought "huh, it's out already?" and I just had the same thought with volume 6... took me a few minutes to realise you were referring to the manga :p

I own the first volume of the light novel, but by the time I got to where it was in my pile of books the anime had started. So I just indefinitely stalled it and continued on my way with the manga, which I started as soon as it came out. Maybe one day I'll actually get back to. :p

Hiro Mashima's Playground (complete) - I think my favourite collection of one shots is still Kazue Kato's Time Killers, but I think that's because Kato's stories are a lot more varied than Mashima's. Still a good read either way though. :)

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in A Dungeon? Volume 13 (light novel) - Stayed up way too late reading this last night. I was only at page 60 of 210 when I started, but the further I got the more difficult it became to put it down until I got to the end. A really gripping start to a two-volume arc and a lot at stake for the various characters. I can see why volume 14 is such a long book now. There was some extreme panic when Bell lost his arm. I was sure it'd be fixed eventually, but the author did a fantastic job of really driving Bell's fear home. The illustrations for the latter part of the book were fantastic too. Overall this might be one of my favourite volumes in awhile.

Vinland Saga Vol 5 and part of 6 (ch 29-39)
Bad times for Askeladds band.

Tokyo Ghoul ch 1
The art seems a bit average in this chapter, but I guess from looking at MAL this is the first published stuff from the mangaka so I guess it gets better.
The one difference from what I remember of the anime is that I seem to recall the doctor transferring Rize's organs into Ken to have had a bit more of a sinister reason than they were the same blood type and they couldn't get a hold of his family.

86 (LN) vol 1
Well. I can certainly understand why this has a good rep. That was pretty darn impressive. Intense, well-paced... heart-rendingly painful. In the best possible way.
Every time it gives you hope, it ruthlessly rips it away. Right until the end, when you've contented yourself with the bittersweet ending, and it surprises you in the final moments. I do have one slight concern - it could very easily have been a self-contained story, with the sole volume. I'm worried that further volumes will have jumped the shark a bit. But that doesn't detract from the quality of the first volume, at least.

Back