What manga are you reading now?

I had a busy Saturday reading Manga.

The Garden of Words

Nice take on this story, the artwork is paticularly lovely.

Star Protector Dog, Volumes 1 - 2

This Manga broke me, tears swelled at a certain part of the first main story because you see something play out, but even though you know how it ends because it shows it in opening pages, it still manages to hit those nerves.

Bakemonogatari Volume 3 (light novel, complete).

Well that was certainly something. I really do enjoy this series. I agree with what @IncendiaryLemon was saying earlier about the first half of volume 3 not really doing anything, but I guess that's because of the split and I prefer this to a massive second volume. Also agreed chapter 7 needed a stopping point and easily could have had one. I had to put the volume down a couple of times and just keep track of the page count so I could jump back in easily.

Definitely looking forward to more Monogatari in the coming months. :)

Baccano! (LN) vol 4
Ten Count (yaoi) vol 4...I hate her, I hate her, I seriously hate her.
The Case Study of Vanitas vol 2...I just love the art of Jun Mochizuki. From Pandora Hearts to Vanitas it's so beautiful.
Karneval (omnibus) vol 7...Touya Mikanagi is another one that does beautiful art.

Last edited:
Goodnight Punpun-Volume 5 (2-in-1)

Reading this is hard. Not because it's bad, far from it, it's pretty much perfection, but after you finish each volume, you just feel like total ****. It's just utter despair. The characters are amazing, because they're not morally black or white, and they feel so human because of it. They do bad things, things they regret, yet you still genuinely feel for them. Following the cast from childhood into adulthood really lets you grasp just why these characters ended up in the awful situations and becoming flawed people. Even though this volume ended on what should be a happy note, it has such a sour twist to, that despite the small flicker of happiness, there is so much sorrow still. It's genuinely powerful and moving stuff. Even though I can relate less and less as each subsequent volume deals with more adult and serious topics, it still just impacts me to my core after every volume. With only 3 volumes left, I can only hope for a somewhat happy ending, but I am just not sure such a thing can even happen at this point and if it did, it just wouldn't tonally fit. As much as I would love to recommend this, this absolute hollowness you feel sometimes can be hard to bare. I don't know if it's just me (and I'd certainly like to hear from others about Punpun) but damn, I'm just kinda at a loss.

The Girl from the Other Side - Volume 2

I found it a bit difficult to follow who was saying what in the beginning of this volume (I think that could be a problem going forward with heavy dialog scenes), but otherwise I'm still enjoying the series. Looking forward to seeing where the twist at the end goes!

Finished Bakemonogatari 3. I agree with comments regarding chapter length.

Read Flying Witch 1, so chill. I love it.

Started Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun 7, will probably finish that, Hero Academia 8 & Welcome to the Ballroom 5 in the next few days.

Last edited:
Re:Zero Volume 2 - Finally finished something from the backlog! This volume wasn't as good as the first one and it reaffirmed that I just hate the mansion arc. I find it dull and takes too long to get anywhere. I've already got volume 3 to read, but I think I'm going to read the next volume of DRR I have first as I'm not sure I'd get through another volume of Re:Zero right now...

Oh I like the sound of this. After seeing your comments on the books here & there I've ended up almost purchasing the first book many times... maybe a review would tip me just enough to click that button ;)

Thank you for the kind words! Always nice to know that the things I write can sometimes influence people. Well, kinda in your case anyway :p

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord - Volume 1 (light novel).

Really enjoyed the first volume of this series. In the end I kinda wonder how much the main characters actually accomplished (beyond Dale taking in the little demon at the beginning), but it's so cute that I don't really mind! Definitely looking forward to more. :)

Descending Stories (Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju) Vol. 1 - the paperback. At Last. (We need more Haruko Kumota in translation! :)
The Royal Tutor Vol. 1 also 'At Last' in paperback. I do like real books. :cool:

Back