What manga are you reading now?

Finished Eden: It's an Endless World... I remember when I held this series in high regard, but it's been three years since I read it and WHAT THE ****, this **** is bananas. Between Kenji doing back flips and people getting killed off for the sake of it, this series goes through so much and a lot of it is irrelevant. It has one of the best and most intense rescue missions but the end result is fruitless.

AironicallyHuman said:
Helena's a pretty amazing 2D woman, until Endo turns her into a cheating slut. I can't think of any other characters that just deal with having an ear and eye removed, as well as being gang-raped, all at once. It came as no great surprise that Elijah fell for her, knowing full well about her job.

I don't really get why you like her, she's not awful... but she's nothing special, typical whore who develops through rape and beatings.

1180098450661.jpg

Maybe you like the idea of being a prostitutes pet and you want to be Elijah in that situation? I don't know.

AironicallyHuman said:
Dunno if I'll ever finish Eden, now that DH have dropped it. I did get an email from DH suggesting there'd be re-prints/V13, but nothing happened. The best of Endo seemed to be done with after Helena's fun - there's little else in terms of variation Endo could have included.

After Helena's death does it get better...? Yes and no, but it's not really worth the read, you don't feel any sense of fulfillment finishing it off, it's an endless world after all.

Mirai Nikki ended this month and I'll end up finishing that off, even though the series is terrible. Along with that I got Taiyo Matsumoto's Zero, the first volume of one of Mohiro Kitoh's latest series, Hiroki Endo's short stories and I'm contemplating starting Franken Fran. That's in between reading several comic series too, got a lot of reading material for the next month or so, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
20th Century Boys 1-10

I have trouble taking this series seriously. But I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to: If the conference chapter in v4 is anything to go by, Urasawa is definitely in on the joke.

A lot of things that happen in this manga are so silly that my suspension of disbelief is frequently stretched to breaking point. But if you can get past that and accept 20th Century Boys as a sci-fi thriller that revels in being over-the-top, there's a lot to like. It can't be denied that Urasawa can tell a story, and here he weaves his typical tangled web of plot threads and jumps back and forth between different time periods. And yet it's not confusing in the least, though admittedly this may be because I've read the first ten volumes over a couple of weeks rather than the year or two it took to release all those books.

Urusawa may not be subtle but he creates memorable characters, is one of the finest artists in manga, and I wager he doesn't take himself as seriously as many of his fans take him.

Lupus said:
Mirai Nikki ended this month and I'll end up finishing that off, even though the series is terrible.
Comments like this are never very convincing.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Urusawa may not be subtle but he creates memorable characters, is one of the finest artists in manga, and I wager he doesn't take himself as seriously as many of his fans take him.
Well, you have to remember how heavily influenced he is by Tezuka. He was never afraid of taking something that had a serious nucleus and wrapping it in some totally over the top melodrama. I think anyone who is prepared to put out a series that started in 2003 and credit himself and Tezuka as co-authors takes his craft pretty damn seriously, but just recognizes that part of that craft is to remain as entertaining as possible.

Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei
This series is so difficult to read. The amount of references to japanese thing is overwhelming, which makes me only think of this as enjoyable, but can't consider it a work of art. I like the simple art and the dark humour in it though.

ilmaestro said:
Well, you have to remember how heavily influenced he is by Tezuka. He was never afraid of taking something that had a serious nucleus and wrapping it in some totally over the top melodrama. I think anyone who is prepared to put out a series that started in 2003 and credit himself and Tezuka as co-authors takes his craft pretty damn seriously, but just recognizes that part of that craft is to remain as entertaining as possible.
Yup, fair point. I didn't mean to imply that Urasawa doesn't take his craft seriously, but make the point that I think he's aware of how outlandish some of his characters and plot developments are. Melodrama tends to repel me, which probably explains why I'm not quite as big a fan of Urasawa as a lot of people, but because I always find his work hugely entertaining it doesn't bother me so much.

ilmaestro said:
Lupus said:
Mirai Nikki ended this month and I'll end up finishing that off, even though the series is terrible.

Not my fault you seem to accept and enjoy mediocrity in its finest form. I hope you have fun with the end result of Mirai Nikki.

Lupus said:
ilmaestro said:
Lupus said:

Not my fault you seem to accept and enjoy mediocrity in its finest form. I hope you have fun with the end result of Mirai Nikki.
I wasn't questioning the quality of the series, I was questioning your attitude towards "terrible" series in general.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Higurashi Abducted by demon's arc volume 2

This is a definite improvement over the last volume, I'm getting a feeling that this is going to turn out that it was all in his mind and Kiiechi has Schizophrenia or something to that akin. I believe the plot resets after each answer arc, so I am hoping one of the future arcs, that will be the case, if not this arc.
Time resets after every arc except the final answer arc (Matsuribayashi / Festival (Musical) Accomaniment) (vague spoiler) after a certain condition if fulfiled.

There is one important clue in that first arc, which you'll miss. Rereading it is great fun after you have a better idea what's happening.
It's not until Minagoroshi (Massacre), the third answer arc, that you actualy find out what's going on. It'll be a while until the manga is out that far in English, Kai (answer) arcs are 4 volumes long instead of 2.

Up to volume 19 with the Negima! catch up.

Fairy Tail, through volume 8. Just can't knock how well the comedy works on the page in this series, nor some of the excellent chapter/volume front pages. The only thing I think the anime maybe did a little better so far was the pacing of the "fight" between Juvia and Gray, but even that might just be me mis-remembering.

Stuart-says-yes said:
And whats this about a key hidden in the first three arc?
The main solution/key/answer (Kai) is in that first chapter/arc.
I assume the abducted by demon's arc will be touched on again though because there's so many things that are vaguely obscured in the final chapter, it seems like the author has purposely left it open, so to revisit it or something.
It's answerd in the "Atonment arc" like it says.
Series structure is:

Question 1: Onikakushi (deamoned away)
Question 2: Watanagashi (cotton dirfting)
Question 3 Tatarigoroshi (Curse killing)
(bonus?/ Question 4) Himatsubushi (Time killing),
Filler: Yoigoshi/beyond midnight
Answer 1 (answers Q2) Meakashi (Eye opening)
Answer 2 (answers Q1) Tsumihoroboshi (Atonement)
Answer 3 (answers Q3) Minagoroshi (Massacre)
Answer 4 (answers A3) Matsuribayashi (Festival Accompaniment)
filler: Onisarashi (Demon Exposing)
filler: Utsutsukowashi
filler: Kokoroiyashi
filler: Hirukowashi

I got MAOH V2, so I'll be reading that.
I finsihed The Time Killing Arc v2 today which means I've read all the Higurashi that are out so far (I read Midnight before). Does anyone know the release dates for the "Eye Opening Arc"?

Stuart-says-yes said:

Hell, how do we even know that the drug he was going to be injected with, was even the same one that was used to kill tomitake, the village did have a strong liking for him after all.

About that, I wondered the drugs are the "key" that is eluded to in the authors notes? Is he being given hallucinogens? After all There is certainly an unknown drug in the Cotton Drifting arc as well. (Though my assumption had been that the drug was going to be used on Mion.)

Stuart-says-yes said:
The question is, if they were hallucinogen's, when did they start entering his body, remember he ate food prepared by others regularly, till they started trying to "kill" him. Bah spoilers :p, I haven't got that far in cotton drifting yet, lol. Maybe he's constantly being drugged, and the whole reseting time line, is actually some sort of drug induced dream.

Also, I was thinking, today, what if keiichi is actually in a coma and time keeps resetting because he gets close to waking up (not getting killed by the villagers), and thus his coma continue's. Thats probably the worst suggestion of why things are happening, but hell at this point anything seems possible in higurashi

Oh so your think of it as 1 thing? I was thinking of them as alternate worlds!

Dojin Work v1

Tsuyuri is an adult dojinshi writer. After a moderately amusing misunderstanding, her friend Najimi finds out about it and wants in, believing the world of dojinshi to be a road to riches... only she can't draw for ****.

Less Genshiken than it sounds, this 4-koma is, in fact, little more than a thinly veiled excuse to have cute high school girls (and younger...) talk about sex. It's not always terribly funny and it has sparser backgrounds than your average shoujo manga, but the lack of drama or anything remotely serious makes it a relaxing read.

Back