What manga are you reading now?

Dracos said:
I think Kodansha also pulled some of the Dark Horse stuff as well. I hope It just means that Kodansha will have a load of decent titles ready when they start their direct involvement in the western market. I really hope they don't just start with volume 1s for everything and do something more sensible like release the most recent unpublished volume alongside the first couple of volumes of things, otherwise they will lose a lot of their market. Those that already have the earlier volumes are unlikely to re-buy and if they don't have the later volumes available they will either give up, forget or pirate.
You mean GitS which no one is buying off them as they censored it and the old version is easy to get.

Reaper gI said:
Dracos said:
I think Kodansha also pulled some of the Dark Horse stuff as well. I hope It just means that Kodansha will have a load of decent titles ready when they start their direct involvement in the western market. I really hope they don't just start with volume 1s for everything and do something more sensible like release the most recent unpublished volume alongside the first couple of volumes of things, otherwise they will lose a lot of their market. Those that already have the earlier volumes are unlikely to re-buy and if they don't have the later volumes available they will either give up, forget or pirate.
You mean GitS which no one is buying off them as they censored it and the old version is easy to get.
Yep that's the one now you jogged my memory. What a stupid decision to release the censored editions.

Love Com 1-2

I tend to steer clear of shoujo manga because I hate the 7-foot bishie beanpoles and brain dead girls who populate them. Plus all the sparkly **** that passes for backgrounds and the nauseatingly idealized romance and the rape drama.

Love Com is a bit different: it's a simple romantic comedy in which the two leads are almost disturbingly normal. You have a tall girl, Risa, and a short boy, Otani, and both are self conscious about their height. Initially they bicker constantly, but soon find that they have a lot in common and actually get along like a house on fire when they're not ripping the piss out of one another. Everyone--their friends, classmates, the teacher, and the reader--knows they're made for each other. The only ones who don't (yet) are Risa and Otani.

It may be a tad predictable where the story is going, and I'm not sure how it's going to hold up over 17 volumes, but at the moment I'm having too much fun to care. The banter between the characters is priceless, the warm moments are sweet but not saccharine, and the art is great.

I'm not actually reading it, but the first volume of Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai has been added to the Japanese PSN comic store, at a relatively sensible price. I hadn't really been following what had been getting added to there, but this feels like a victory for common sense over the ¥100/chapter Shounen Jump releases that they started with.

Black God

I just finished American Vampire - very uneven but innovative and original - and now I look at the cover of this and it screams cliche. I hope the content is good.[/b]

Stuart-says-yes said:
Higurashi- when they cry

the demon abducting arc volume 1

As the book was cheaper than other manga in waterstones and other forum users seemed to have a good enough opinion of it, I decided to give it a shot.

While nothing was really shocking in the manga, I was genuinly intrigued as to what would happen next. I did feel somewhat disappointed with it though as the plot twists didn't feel like enough strength was put into them It was just kind of like, oh yeah Rena was sitting behind your door........

It does however interest me to the point, that I will buy the next book, while I don't this book was greatly written, I think and hope that it will get better as the series goes a long.

Rena's Adowable moments were awesome though.

7/10

Once you've read into things I suggest re-reading the early volumes. You'll definitely see some things in a different light...Reminds me I need to get these back of a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuart-says-yes said:
- No Azu-nyan
- Nothing you haven't already really see, if you've watched the anime

I'm sad about azusa not being there (right before she appears as well) but yeah I got what I expected and fine with that to be honest.

One other point is that unlike lucky star the manga is only 4 volumes which is okay for me in terms of how long a 4-koma could last.

Stuart-says-yes said:
K-on volume 1

While I did not enjoy the first season of K-on, of which this volume of K-on is source material for, I rather K-on volume 1. The story is light hearted, Ritsu decides to continue the almost disbanded "Pop Music Club", Yes "Pop music". While the title "Light music club" would have done the club name more justice, as "Pop music" Implies they exclusively play "Pop Music" and that they actually practise. neither of which they tend to do, "Light" implies that they aren't as full on about music as an actual music club. If you haven't watched the anime though, the change most likely won't bother you.
In Japan, their concept of Light Music is actually Pop Music, rather than the orchestral based music we consider Light Music to be, i guess the change is just to avoid confusion amongst Western audiencies (not that most people who would pick up K-On probably listen to Light Music)

Surely calling it the K-ON club, and explaining what that means, would have been the way to go. ie. avoid confusion by education, rather than technically increase confusion by being vague.

Someone reading it with no prior knowledge must be thinking "Huh?" as far as the title of the series goes if they are no longer in the K-ON-bu.

I'm still moving my way through Fairy Tail, too, in the middle of volume 3 now. Mashima's art has become deceptively good over the years. And Lucy is just too cute, all the time.

ilmaestro said:
Surely calling it the K-ON club, and explaining what that means, would have been the way to go. ie. avoid confusion by education, rather than technically increase confusion by being vague.

Someone reading it with no prior knowledge must be thinking "Huh?" as far as the title of the series goes if they are no longer in the K-ON-bu.
They have to, Yui doesn't know what it means initialy.
Seitokai no Ichizon just used band. It's a fairly vague term anyway.

Reaper gI said:
ilmaestro said:

They have to, Yui doesn't know what it means initialy.
They (who?) have to... what? If they only call it "pop music club" then surely they just have to explain what "pop music club" is.

Re-reading Eden: It's an Endless World to finish off the series since I have links for all volumes. On volume 9 at the moment, the part where every chapter Elijah is smashing Helena, kind of boring, really. But it goes hand in hand with Helena's character, she out lived her usefulness a while back, she's a whore so she's DEEP and wants to one day live a wonderful life and escape prostitution... Too bad she gets whacked.

Also got some Junji Ito one shots to read.

What Aion thought, shortly after where Lulu is at: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=51195

Helena's a pretty amazing 2D woman, until Endo turns her into a cheating slut. I can't think of any other characters that just deal with having an ear and eye removed, as well as being gang-raped, all at once. It came as no great surprise that Elijah fell for her, knowing full well about her job.

Dunno if I'll ever finish Eden, now that DH have dropped it. I did get an email from DH suggesting there'd be re-prints/V13, but nothing happened. The best of Endo seemed to be done with after Helena's fun - there's little else in terms of variation Endo could have included.

So asides from the usual weekly/monthly updates, i've been re-reading Berserk as Ilmae, up to and including volume 8 now. It's funny, but no matter how many times i re-read this, i never get enough of it. Reading the golden Age/Band of the Hawk arc again is still as gripping, engrossing and full of emotion as always. It helps of course, that it has some of the strongest character leads i know carrying it along, but it's story as well is great. I honestly don't think i'd ever get tired of reading this. To watch both Guts and Casca develop as characters is probably some of the most memorable i've seen. Now, Miura, don't muck up anything else from where you are now. Stop playing idolmaster, and get that manga written.

As Arby says, we've been reading Berserk at roughly the same pace, although for the first time in my case. The level of emotional development of the main characters is startling for "this type" (violent medieval high fantasy) of series, and provides great contrast with the tense and at times spectacular action scenes. Miura even adds in just the right pinch of comedy at just the right time. Destined for my all time top 10, at the moment.

Read Volume 1 of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery service.

I bought it blind, and fortunately I like horror. This manga is a bit ****'d up in places. You can count on some necrophilia and incest in at the same time as well as a man who cuts up people whilst they are alive and sews different peoples body parts back together. It's fairly griping and the characters are enjoyable so far. The art is of a high quality but really the main feature is quite how disturbing the plot is, and quite how much gore there is.

Back