What Games Are You Playing?

May is a smaller month but focused on two rather lengthy games for different reasons.

#10 - Resident Evil 6 (PlayStation 4)
Acquired: July 2022

After going through the rest of my physical games backlog of Resident Evil throughout the month of April, what was left is the one that basically went off the rails for the whole franchise - Resident Evil 6. Unlike Resident Evil 5, I did not play this when it was first released and I remember at one point I had an opportunity to get the PS3 version for £5 in HMV but I ignored it. Eventually Resident Evil 6 was remastered for the modern consoles with better framerate and honestly that does hold up well, just like the other PS4 versions had done so this is in a sense the best console version to date.

Now I spent the whole week playing Resident Evil 6 and I did manage to finish the story, which was very long to begin with. Clocking in at 18 hours 30 minutes, this is one of the longest games in the franchise (though Resident Evil 4 Remake does surpass this but in a good way). Overall there's a reason why it's this long, because essentially Capcom had decided to provide us with four separate story campaigns focusing on one character and a sidekick each, with each one having a specific type of concept and gameplay ideas. I do think there were some really interesting ideas throughout, but overall it's not a perfect experience either and there are some ups and downs.

The game lets you choose which campaign to start with, so the first one I went with was Leon's campaign which aims for a traditional Resident Evil survival horror type gameplay with the modern action approach that we've seen in Resident Evil 4. This is a perfect example of style over substance, as the concept overshadows the gameplay and pacing which drags for way longer than it should. I did enjoy the puzzles that were shown throughout, but I was not having fun when it came to the combat because for some reason the zombies were way more of a nuisance than previous games had been. The health system doesn't help either as it's completely redone and is the perfect example of why you shouldn't change something that had already worked in the first place. On top of that, the campaign's first half was not as fun as I had hoped. That said, I did like the story but it's main gimmick is providing us with questions without concrete answers. Took about 6 hours to beat.

Next came Chris' campaign which switches things up and continues the Resident Evil 5 tone with its action approach and honestly I started to like the game more in this direction. There is still elements of horror with its setting and enemies, but the gameplay felt much better due to the enemy variety. In terms of the story, it does provide more context from what we saw in Leon's campaign, but I did not think it was as interesting because it felt one dimensional at parts. That said, I did enjoy the ride and it helped that your progress from Leon's does carry over so the difficulty and gameplay balance does improve. Took about 5 hours to beat.

Then we have a rather interesting storyline with Jake's campaign, which is a combination between traditional and modern Resident Evil tones and gameplay, with its inclusion of a Nemesis style monster and the over-the-top action seen in Resident Evil 4 & 5. Yes this game has Jake essentially pulling some Matrix moves, but to be completely honest this worked really well. I also enjoyed the character dynamic between Jake & Sherry because it works really well when you consider the context and historical lore, but also how the two grow to know and trust each other as the story continues. Took about 4 hours to beat.

Last but not least we have Ada's campaign, which is essentially this game's equivalent to Resident Evil 4's Separate Ways campaign. The general gist of this campaign is that it's mostly side stuff whilst also trying to fill the gaps on the story beats. I didn't enjoy the first mission of the campaign, but it did get better as we progress with the next mission forwards. I will admit she does monologue a bit too much but overall it ends on a good note. Took about 3 hours to beat.

So in terms of the gameplay, it does work better on the shooting aspect of things especially as you can walk and shoot at the same time compared to previous games, but for some reason they really overcomplicated the rest of the setup. The way that you switch between weapons just doesn't feel right and can be jarring especially during combat. In previous Resident Evil games you had a good balance between easy switching of weapons/items and a big loadout where you are able to pick and choose at ease, but here it doesn't have the latter's flexibility and is just a single row of messiness. I already spoke about how bad the health system is as well, so overall the best way to describe it is that they took a step forward on the aim & shoot part, but multiple steps backwards on the interface, gear and inventory management.

So after playing through the whole game, is Resident Evil 6 a bad game. Technically it's a decent shooter but as a Resident Evil title it does falter on various areas. The story feels incomplete because there's a lot of missing gaps that needs more context and whilst I liked the idea of interconnected storylines across four campaigns it does feel choppy and inconsistent. While there's not that much horror throughout, I do think it's a decent game in general but definitely not a good Resident Evil instalment. It's still better than Revelations 2 though.

Also this game does have co-op so I would say you'll probably get a much better experience playing the game with a friend. The partner AI is fine in general and hasn't annoyed me at all, but for more entertainment co-op is probably the way to go.

#11 - Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (PlayStation Vita)
Acquired: July 2018

It's been a year since we last checked out a game from the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise and it's been on my mind for a while to revisit more of the games. So I decided to finally check out the game's second spin-off for the PlayStation Vita. I don't own or plan to even touch Perfecting Perfection because it's noted to be pretty terrible.

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart puts Noire in the spotlight as the game's protagonist and alongside that is a different genre, going from your traditional turn-based RPG to a tactical style similar to Fire Emblem. The general concept is simple as you control a set of characters (from 4-7) and you guide them through a map to defeat enemies or do a specific task to complete the mission.

What I liked about this game is the range of characters you have available, each of them being a reference to a franchise and considering Noire is based on PlayStation, the side characters are all based on various games released on the console - this includes Lee-Fi (Chun Li from Street Fighter), Lid (Metal Gear Solid), Estelle (Dragon Quest), Ein Al (Final Fantasy), Moru (Monster Hunter), Ai Masujima (The iDOLM@STER), Ryuka (Like a Dragon), Blossom Aisen (Sakura Wars), Wyn (Winning Eleven aka Pro Evolution Soccer), Saori (Tokimeki Memorial), Vio (Resident Evil) and Sango (Dynasty Warriors). Each have their own abilities and gameplay styles which adds to the tactical decisions you want to make during the missions. For instance, Wyn can reach far distances which helps to getting to another part of the map, whilst Sango can buff your teammates to enhance their strength and Vio can turn people into Tofu using a special move.

Like previous Neptunia games, Noire, Neptune, Blanc and Vert each can transform into their HDD forms which adds more to the gameplay but I only saw minimal differences like being able to reach higher ground and deal more damage as they can still be hit pretty hard and even be affected by buff effects. That said, their special moves does add more value as it can deal a lot of damage when handled correctly, like with the right items and support effects.

There's a lot of buff effects that can be inflicted upon your team, ranging from skillseal (which disables skills), frozen (which limits your movement), freeze bug (which stops your character for the phase), reaper (which will instakill if you don't have the cure), love (which makes your character randomly heal you or the enemy), and even tofu (which turn you into tofu). There's tons of effects in this game so while it can be overwhelming it does add more value to the combat. There's also elemental abilities like fire, wind, lighting and ice which can be used against enemies or even treasure chests that you find throughout each map to receive more items.

Speaking of maps, whilst Hyperdimension Neptunia tends to re-use their assets a lot, the map designs in this game are pretty good as there's a lot differences for each story mission and even though the enemies are mostly the same as before they do have different ranges of attacks in terms of distance and style. Though I will say it's rather inconsistent how enemies can easily avoid areas where your team can't traverse like traps and even the height differences can be rather annoying. Despite these issues I do think there was more effort on the level design and gameplay here than usual, and that is likely down to developer Sting who collaborated with Idea Factory on this spin-off.

The game's difficulty is for the most part pretty doable as the only real struggle I had was the final boss which insta-killed my whole team in one turn. This prompt me to venture into the rest of the trophies like the Lily Ranks and Level 99 for all characters. Admittedly it's because of the Platinum trophy journey is why I held off on this game because I had heard how much time is needed to sort out the Lily Ranks. A game that would normally take about 25 hours took me 75.5 hours because of the Lily Rank grind, and there's not much reward for it other than getting that trophy at the end of it, so it comes down to whether you are a die-hard fan who wants to platinum the franchise or not at this point. I will also admit that as much as I had enjoyed my time with this game, it didn't make me want to immediately jump into playing it each day, and I suppose part of that was down to the game's difficulty and time it takes to finish a mission.

The story for Hyperdevotion Noire is also an interesting one because it adds the inclusion of a self-insert male protagonist which worked at first but over time it felt one-dimension and deviated from the interesting dialogue between Noire and the other side characters. There's also some inconsistencies with the English dub especially with Neptune going from regular form to HDD form. Overall the story was fine but it didn't feel like it had that much of an impact on the world that makes you want to explore the whole place and instead it felt like it had the idea of going with a 'everyone forgot who I was' to just scrapping it afterwards with the simple 'oh everyone stopped teaming up with you'.

Despite the rather exhausting Platinum trophy journey, Hyperdevotion Noire is a pretty decent spin-off for the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise and worth a shot, though at this point you're best going for the PC version since it's either that or on the PlayStation Vita. The Vita version actually holds up pretty well with the only issue being loading when going into a mission.

My backlog so far:
#​
PC/Steam Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the SkyTurn-Based RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SCTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation 3 Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
3D Dot Game HeroesAction RPG
2​
Castlevania: Lords of ShadowAction, Hack n Slash
3​
CatherinePuzzle
4​
Drakengard 3Action RPG
5​
Eternal SonataTurn-Based RPG
6​
FolkloreAction RPG
7​
inFAMOUSAction
8​
inFAMOUS 2Action
9​
Katamari ForeverPuzzle
10​
Prince of PersiaAction, Platformer
11​
PuppeteerPlatformer
12​
SEGA RallyRacing
13​
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeAction, Platformer
14​
Split/Second: VelocityRacing
15​
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the OverlordTactical RPG, Visual Novel
16​
Way of the Samurai 4Action
#​
PlayStation 4 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
13 Sentinels: Aegis RimTactical RPG, Visual Novel
2​
AI: The Somnium FilesAdventure, Visual Novel
3​
Black Clover: Quartet KnightsAction, Fighting
4​
Bullet Girls PhantasiaAction, Shooter
5​
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseTurn-Based RPG
6​
Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New ChampionsSports
7​
Catherine Full BodyPuzzle
8​
Chaos;ChildVisual Novel
9​
Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve StarsTurn-Based RPG
10​
CRYSTARAction RPG
11​
Cyberdimension Neptunia: Four Goddesses OnlineAction RPG
12​
Danganronpa 1 ReloadVisual Novel
13​
Danganronpa 2 ReloadVisual Novel
14​
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair GirlsAction, Shooter
15​
Danganronpa V3: Killing HarmonyVisual Novel
16​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 1: Rinne UtopiaVisual Novel, Dating Sim
17​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 2: Ars InstallVisual Novel, Dating Sim
18​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 3: Twin Edition: Rio ReincarnationVisual Novel, Dating Sim
19​
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's MemoryTurn-Based RPG
20​
Disaster Report 4: Summer MemoriesAdventure, Simulation
21​
Dragon Quest Heroes IIAction RPG, Musou
22​
Dragon's Crown ProAction RPG
23​
Fairy TailTurn-Based RPG
24​
Fate/Extella LinkMusou
25​
Final Fantasy VIII RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
26​
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares WinTactical RPG
27​
Gal*Gun 2On-Rails Shooter
28​
Gintama RumbleAction, Musou
29​
GOD EATER 3Action Hunter RPG
30​
Gravity Rush 2Action, Platformer
31​
The Great Ace Attorney: AdventuresVisual Novel
32​
The Great Ace Attorney 2: ResolveVisual Novel
33​
Gundam Breaker 3 BREAK EDITIONAction, Arcade
34​
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite CombateAction RPG
35​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of HeavenFighting
36​
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of FujisawaPuzzle, Visual Novel
37​
LangrisserTactical RPG
38​
Langrisser IITactical RPG
39​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold SteelTurn-Based RPG
40​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IITurn-Based RPG
41​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IIITurn-Based RPG
42​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IVTurn-Based RPG
43​
Legend of ManaAction RPG
44​
Megadimension Neptunia VIITurn-Based RPG
45​
Megadimension Neptunia VIIRTurn-Based RPG
46​
MELTY BLOOD: TYPE LUMINAFighting
47​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja StormAction, Fighting
48​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2Action, Fighting
49​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3Action, Fighting
50​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: Road to BorutoAction, Fighting
51​
NEO: The World Ends With YouAction RPG
52​
Neptunia Virtual StarsAction
53​
Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja WarsAction
54​
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
55​
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KingdomAction RPG
56​
Nights of AzureAction RPG
57​
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New MoonAction RPG
58​
One Piece Burning BloodFighting
59​
One Piece Unlimited World RedAction
60​
One Piece World SeekerAction
61​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3Musou
62​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4Musou
63​
Our World Is EndedVisual Novel
64​
Persona 5 RoyalTurn-Based RPG
65​
Persona 5 StrikersAction RPG, Musou
66​
Phoenix Wright: Ace AttorneyVisual Novel
67​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for AllVisual Novel
68​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and TribulationsVisual Novel
69​
Punch LineVisual Novel
70​
Raging LoopVisual Novel
71​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Prophecy of the ThroneVisual Novel
72​
Robotics;Notes DaSHVisual Novel
73​
Robotics;Notes ELITEVisual Novel
74​
SD Gundam G Generation Cross RaysTactical RPG
75​
SD Gundam G Generation GenesisTactical RPG
76​
Secret of ManaAction RPG
77​
Sengoku Basara 4: SumeragiMusou
78​
Senran Kagura Burst Re:NewalAction
79​
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD RemasterTurn-Based RPG
80​
Star Ocean: First Departure RAction RPG
81​
Star Ocean: The Last Hope HD RemasterAction RPG
82​
Steins;Gate EliteVisual Novel
83​
Super Neptunia RPGTurn-Based RPG
84​
Super Robot Wars 30Tactical RPG
85​
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon DwellersTactical RPG
86​
Super Robot Wars TTactical RPG
87​
Super Robot Wars XTactical RPG
88​
Sword Art Online: Fatal BulletAction RPG
89​
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Sessions!Music, Rhythm
90​
Tales of BerseriaAction RPG
91​
Tales of VesperiaAction RPG
92​
Tokyo Xanadu eX+Action RPG
93​
Trials of ManaAction RPG
94​
Utawarerumono: Mask of DeceptionTactical RPG, Visual Novel
95​
Utawarerumono: Mask of TruthTactical RPG, Visual Novel
96​
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the FallenTactical RPG, Visual Novel
97​
Utawarerumono: ZanAction, Musou
98​
Valkyria Chronicles 4Tactical RPG
99​
Valkyria RevolutionAction RPG
100​
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival EditionAction RPG
101​
WORLDEND SYNDROMEVisual Novel
102​
Yakuza 3 RemasteredAction Beat em up
103​
Yakuza 4 RemasteredAction Beat em up
104​
Yakuza 5 RemasteredAction Beat em up
105​
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this WorldVisual Novel
106​
Ys IX: Monstrum NoxAction RPG
#​
PlayStation 5 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII -Reunion-Action RPG
2​
Cyberpunk 2077Action
3​
Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami ChroniclesFighting
4​
The DioField ChronicleTactical RPG
5​
DOOM EternalAction, Shooter
6​
GrimGrimoire OnceMoreReal-Time Strategy RPG
7​
JudgmentAction, Beat em up
8​
Lost JudgmentAction, Beat em up
9​
Mobile Suit Gundam BATTLE OPERATION Code FairyAction
10​
MONARKTactical RPG
11​
Neptunia ReVerseTurn-Based RPG
12​
Neptunia: Sisters vs SistersAction RPG
13​
Nioh 2Action Souls RPG
14​
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit of Wonder LabyrinthMetroidvania RPG
15​
RelayerTactical RPG
16​
SD Gundam Battle AllianceAction RPG
17​
Star Ocean: The Divine ForceAction RPG
18​
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginAction Souls RPG
19​
Tactics Ogre RebornTactical RPG
20​
Valkyrie ElysiumAction RPG
21​
Yakuza 7: Like a DragonTurn-Based RPG
22​
Yurukill: The Calumniation GamesShoot em up, Visual Novel
#​
PlayStation Vita Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Bullet GirlsAction, Shooter
2​
Freedom WarsAction
3​
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action UnleashedAction
4​
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS ZombiesAction, Musou
5​
Muv-LuvVisual Novel, Dating Sim
6​
Muv-Luv AlternativeVisual Novel
7​
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard GirlsTurn-Based RPG
8​
Valkyrie Drive BhikkhuniAction
#​
Nintendo Switch Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Cytus AlphaMusic, Rhythm
2​
Fire Emblem: Three HousesTactical RPG
3​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from ZeroTurn-Based RPG
4​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to AzureTurn-Based RPG
5​
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WildAction RPG
6​
Mario Kart 8 DeluxeRacing
7​
Metroid DreadMetroidvania
8​
Metroid Prime RemasteredAction, Shooter
9​
MUSYNXMusic, Rhythm
10​
New Super Mario Bros U DeluxePlatformer
11​
Senran Kagura Peach BallPinball
12​
Senran Kagura ReflexionsSimulation
13​
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's FuryAction, Platformer
14​
Super Mario GalaxyAction, Platformer
15​
Super Mario SunshineAction, Platformer
16​
Super Smash Bros. UltimateFighting
17​
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive EditionAction RPG
18​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2Action RPG
19​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden CountryAction RPG

gGNW84cl.png
The 2023 '40' Games Goal:
No.Game
Console​
Acquired​
Genre
1​
Shining Resonance Refrain
PS4​
2018​
Action RPG
2​
Wing of Darkness
PS4​
2022​
Action, Arcade
3​
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
PS4​
2022​
Puzzle
4​
Tales of Zestiria
PS4​
2018​
Action RPG
5​
RESIDENT EVIL 4
PS5​
2023​
Action, Survival Horror
6​
RESIDENT EVIL 2
PS5​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
7​
RESIDENT EVIL 3
PS5​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
8​
Resident Evil Revelations
PS4​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
9​
Resident Evil Revelations 2
PS4​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
10​
Resident Evil 6
PS4​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
11​
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
Vita​
2018​
Tactical RPG

FmtJjLOl.png

Last edited:
Jedi Survivor

I don't know the first thing about game design, but I know that a lot of the games I like have intricate level design and/or have a movement system that is, in itself, fun. Here we have both to the nth degree.

Moving around is reminiscent of Prince of Persia Sands of Time with its fluidity plus it has an air dash, grapple and double jump. These are all put to use in actually fun platforming (with hidden challenges that up the ante and the fun).

The level design is world-class. It's among the most intricate I've ever seen in a AAA game. Respawn actually pulled some legit Dark Souls tier sh-t with some of the shortcuts and how the levels serpentine around themselves. It just goes on and on, up and down, around and around. It's exemplary, truly Fromsoft-tier, through a AAA, mostly frustration-free lens. I beat the game a couple of days ago but I'm going for 100% because exploring is so much of what makes this game great.

Another thing that helps with the drive to want to see more and more is the huge amount of collectibles that'll help you customize your character and your equipment. You can make some truly cool looking lightsabers.

The souls/Sekiro inspired combat feels good and is weighty - it helps keep it engaging all throughout. I'm 30 hours into it and still have a lot to explore.

Story is OK, cutscene direction is good to excellent and art direction makes the most of fact these are alien worlds.

Most of my interest in Star Wars comes from the fact that people fight each other with laser swords and psychokinetic powers but this is above all an excellent game.

I spent the whole week playing Resident Evil 6
I have no idea why you would do that to yourself. Is this a cry for help?

I keep the RE6 demo on my PS3 so that, every few years, I can remind myself that it really is as awful as I remember. RE5 gets some flak, but it builds on the solid gameplay fundamentals of RE4. 6 feels like a budget RE knock-off, with controls and combat so much worse than the previous games, it's beyond me how they screwed it up so badly.

I keep the RE6 demo on my PS3 so that, every few years, I can remind myself that it really is as awful as I remember. RE5 gets some flak, but it builds on the solid gameplay fundamentals of RE4. 6 feels like a budget RE knock-off, with controls and combat so much worse than the previous games, it's beyond me how they screwed it up so badly.
The best thing about RE6 is that it led to RE7.

I wanted to check it out because people had their issues with it, and yeah it's not a great Resi game but if I had gone through it in co-op I think it would have been a better experience (especially the train segment in Leon's campaign heh).

I finished up the campaign for GTA V. I enjoyed it. Trevor never did grow on me in the end but that was honestly to be expected lmao.

I think next I'm going to play Tales of Berseria. I've had this sitting in my library for years, and I've wanted to play it for years before that, so it's finally time.

I also played the thing.

I honestly did a double take at the scene with Shiva and Titan, I wasn't really sure if it was CG or real time. It looks absurdly good.

Then you get to the other Eikon battle later on and I had hard shivers from the start, just relentlessly spectacular presentation. I felt lost between marveling at the spectacle of the fight and having the stunning music sensually assault my ears, my lord man.

And when I started getting a bit worried that fighting might feel a bit samey (you only have a couple of base combos), I played the second part of the demo and I saw how fun it is having 3 Eikons equipped at the same time. So many cool abilities! Fights feel challenging without being too difficult.

The tone is like anime Matsuno, it's so good.

The few worries I had like the QTEs and enemies looking like they can take a beating were gone in an instant. The QTEs aren't annoying at all when playing (they're just there) and pounding on enemies is so much fun that I have no idea if it takes long - certainly doesn't feel like it!

What an amazing demo, holy sh.t.

I also finished the Final Fantasy XVI demo. If you want a high budget fantasy game there isn't going to be one with this level of spectacle, cinematography or scale. On that level the demo is immaculate. The Eikons feel colossal and as terrible as they are awe inspiring. Even the frame rate is solid in fights and only slowed down once for a bit. The demo obviously can only give you the most basic of the basic combat and even with the extra mission designed to show it off there's only so much you can learn. But something I found really interesting was how the dodge felt. Unlike Nier Automata where you can just mash the button FFXVI leaves a surprisingly long window where after you hit the dodge you are unable to dodge again. Meaning combat feels more methodical while forcing you to pay attention, while also still being forgiving enough.

But I actually didn't like it much. It's very hard to make a demo for an RPG because you need to show all of the earliest stuff. So no wider areas, no side quests, no crafting etc. And that's the stuff that has me the most interested for a game like this instead of just the basic plot set up. So it's unfair to judge the game yet for because the demo can't properly represent the experience without spoiling a lot. Most of my issue is that I find it hard to get invested in a pure, realistic fantasy game. It's clear why they chose that setting. XVI's marketing is about onboarding newcomers by giving them familiar action combat and a world that is familiar but intriguing. That way they get invested in the wider FF franchise. You can see that happening in the game with how 'standard' fantasy stuff is peppered with more unique and weird Final Fantasy monsters. It feels like some big twist that changes everything and shatters the Game of Thrones inspired setting into something more unique. The trouble for me is I struggle to get invested in the really traditional fantasy world.

Everyone who is interested in the game should play the demo. This is someone who just doesn't jive with it rambling but that shouldn't scare people away.

I think next I'm going to play Tales of Berseria. I've had this sitting in my library for years, and I've wanted to play it for years before that, so it's finally time.
I really liked Berseria's story. It might be the best JRPG casts I've seen. Hope you enjoy it!

Finally got around to finishing Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Reunion and this was great, had a real fun time with it. Was my first time experiencing Crisis Core and despite knowing how it ends, experiencing it yourself hits different. It makes me even more excited to see how things will play out and change with FFVII Rebirth.

The gameplay took some adjustment coming from FF7R but I picked it up soon enough and was a decent battle system. During the game you could feel some of the restrictions of it being a PSP title but Square Enix did a damn good job on the visual upgrade and the gameplay systems didn't feel to archaic or anything.

Soul Hackers 2
Not a bad game, but disappointing. After Persona 5 I thought Atlus had finally cracked good dungeon design, but SH2 is a huge step backwards. It's all tedious empty corridors, corridors, corridors as far as the eye can see. They don't even have the excuse of being procedurally generated this time, since they're all bespoke layouts. Docks, a subway, another subway, a bland office building; it's like they were going down a checklist of urban game location cliches. I'm surprised there wasn't a sewer. Only the final dungeon shows any visual imagination, but that one falls victim to another of the game's design problems: awful layout gimmicks. Several areas have confusing layouts that loop back on themselves up and down the floors like a protracted game of snakes and ladders. Others randomly teleport you all over the place. It feels like a budget game from 20 years ago.

Making things worse is the insane encounter rate. You will soon grow weary of the party's resident threat detector yelling, "Enemy! Enemy! Enemy!" every five seconds. While enemies are easy to avoid, the game difficulty is balanced with the assumption that you won't, which makes it feel very grindy.

The battle system itself is basically the same one the Shin Megami Tensei franchise has been trotting out for two decades, with only one tweak. Instead of giving you an extra turn, hitting elemental weaknesses now queues up a Sabbath, a hit-all attack for the end of the turn. It's as good a system as any of the previous variations, but fatigue may set in if you've played a lot of SMT games. The default pace is sluggish too. Thankfully options to double battle speed and skip the lengthy Sabbath animations were patched in after launch, but the fact those were considered necessary are symptomatic of how sluggish the whole experience feels.

Despite that, the story moves much faster than a Persona game. It can take 50 hours to recruit your full party in a Persona, but SH2 gets to that point in 5. It continues to move at a fair clip from then on too, but most of it ends up being a pretty basic chase-the-magic-macguffins affair, where the fate of the world depends on who can collect a bunch of glowing rainbow-coloured snakes. No, really.

As for characters, I especially liked Ringo and Figue, the two AI constructs who found themselves stuck in humanoid bodies to investigate the whole glowing snakes situation. Saizo was a decent character too, but Arrow was a boring goody-two-shoes and Milady was a boring grouch. As for the main villain, he was about what you would expect from a guy in an iron mask who calls himself Iron Mask. The story does take some interesting turns later on, but by that point the game is almost over.

The only things above reproach are the music and the stylish character designs. Aside from that it was a decent JRPG, elevated by all the good stuff it stole verbatim from previous SMT games. The awful level design and high encounter rate made it too much of a slog though, despite not being abnormally long. I skipped most of the tedious-looking optional dungeons, and that's probably why I got the normal ending, which was kind of a downer. I doubt I'll bother going through it again for the good ending; I'll probably just look it up on Youtube.

Last edited:
I finally, more or less, finished Tears of the Kingdom. I dare say there’s a small quest or two that I’ve missed and there’s some equipment I can’t be arsed to grind to upgrade, but otherwise I’ve pretty much explored all three tiers of the world as much as I’m willing to do unless/until DLC emerges.

This worked well as a sequel to Breath of the Wild, and is much bigger in scope and scale, with more story and surprises. At this stage I’m not sure I’ll ever replay BOTW again, though I appreciate the groundwork it laid and still rank it highly amongst the LoZ series of games.

Next up from the backlog to play is likely going to be the Pixel remasters of Final Fantasy I-VI, which will be a mixture of first time experiences and revisits for me.

Last edited:
What do those that have played it make of the FF16 demo? I can't play it alas, as I don't have a PS5 but I'm intrigued as FF has always been one of my personal favourite game franchises. I read that the dev team were told to watch the Game of Thrones box set during development to really hammer that show's atmosphere into their heads, and hearing that worries me. A bit of influence ground up and mixed in among other influences is understandable though so hopefully it will be more like that. I also wonder why the decision to lip sync it in English rather than Japanese. The original script I'm assuming is in Japanese and not English, so the English is still likely to sound more stilted and unnatural. HOWEVER if I had £90 spare I'd buy myself that big Torgal plushie right now with no regrets!

I enjoyed the FF16 demo more than I expected. I hate action games and suck at them so I was groaning every time I saw footage, but when I got into it the battle system was far better than FF15's (which is, to date, the only FF game I have started and just abandoned partway through out of boredom). The FF16 demo started off feeling like any old grungy Souls-wannabe action adventure game but once things got going past the boring introduction segment (I hate tutorial-style introductions) it got a lot better and I really got into it. The music and sound work in general is fantastic, really brilliant stuff from a composer with a strong track record, and the demo makes it very clear that they're following on from the producer's work with FF14 and throwing in classic FF references all over the place.

The English script of FF14 also has the 'GoT fanfic' feeling (sorry, but... that's how I view it) and it's quite cringey at times, but it's what the team enjoys creating and I'm used to their style after years of FF14. The atmosphere in the English script of both games sometimes bears little relation to the Japanese but the producer is buddies with the crazy guy who does their localisation and lets him have his head with it, so that's intentional (annoyingly). Still, I found the chunk of the story in the FF16 demo quite powerful once it got going and the Japanese voice work was good stuff. I might flip to the Japanese interface once I play the actual game to drop the annoying localisation, but there are a lot of fans of the crazy localisation guy's style so it's worth trying it out to see if you like it better than I do.

The part which worries me the most is whether the characters will prove memorable. I still don't have a good handle on that from the demo alone - nobody (besides Torgal, obviously!) stands out all that much - but at least I feel an awful lot better about my preorder after playing the demo.

R

What do those that have played it make of the FF16 demo? I can't play it alas, as I don't have a PS5 but I'm intrigued as FF has always been one of my personal favourite game franchises. I read that the dev team were told to watch the Game of Thrones box set during development to really hammer that show's atmosphere into their heads, and hearing that worries me. A bit of influence ground up and mixed in among other influences is understandable though so hopefully it will be more like that. I also wonder why the decision to lip sync it in English rather than Japanese. The original script I'm assuming is in Japanese and not English, so the English is still likely to sound more stilted and unnatural. HOWEVER if I had £90 spare I'd buy myself that big Torgal plushie right now with no regrets!

The demo has made quite an impact on the general public. Personally loved it. It ends in a way that leaves you wanting more immediately.

I think mentioning GoT, while being an influence, is also part of their effort to sell the mass-market appeal they're hoping it'll have. It's still a distinctly Japanese game, if that's what you're worried about. There's like a 5 second scene in the demo that's straight lifted from Eva 01 vs Eva 03. It feels like anime Matsuno, that's the best compliment I can give it.

Speaking of the demo, if you've kept up with trailers so far, you knew exactly what was going to happen and the tension and dread in the lead up to the event was very well pulled off.

While Maehiro did the script, Koji-Fox and his team actually wrote the English dialogue and Maehiro would then adjust the JP script based on feedback. It being English lipsync only goes back to mass-market appeal, probably. There's only so much this can sell in Japan, anyway.

I'm finding these last few days really hard... I didn't go for the plush, but I did get the ultimate edition OST and I'm getting the artbook and Ultimania, for good measure. Can't wait!!

Thanks for the replies! I have to say, it sounds pretty good, worth being excited about at least!

Just based on the couple of trailers I've seen I would echo Rui's sentiment about the bland looking characters (not you, Torgal!). I'm actually someone who really liked FF15 but the characters weren't especially memorable at all, though thanks to the abject sillyness of the game they were all at least pretty adorable to hang out with, so I worry that the serious tone may accentuate the problem here. Square used to have such a knack of creating really captivating imaginative characters when I think of previous games, I hope that's still in there somewhere!

Also, that translating method sounds pretty interesting! So, if I've got that right, the writer will go back to his original script and amend the original Japanese version based on what the translator decided to do with it in English? Does sound unconventional but definitely interesting!

Thanks for the replies! I have to say, it sounds pretty good, worth being excited about at least!

Just based on the couple of trailers I've seen I would echo Rui's sentiment about the bland looking characters (not you, Torgal!). I'm actually someone who really liked FF15 but the characters weren't especially memorable at all, though thanks to the abject sillyness of the game they were all at least pretty adorable to hang out with, so I worry that the serious tone may accentuate the problem here. Square used to have such a knack of creating really captivating imaginative characters when I think of previous games, I hope that's still in there somewhere!

Also, that translating method sounds pretty interesting! So, if I've got that right, the writer will go back to his original script and amend the original Japanese version based on what the translator decided to do with it in English? Does sound unconventional but definitely interesting!

I know as much about the characters as anyone else, but tying the Eikons to specific characters is a hell of a concept and ripe for developing strong personalities with the various ways people see the power of the Eikons and even how the Dominants see themselves. I doubt that potential was left on the table.

Yeah, adjustements were made based on the English writing, as per the team. On the other hand, I've also seen trailer and demo comparisons showing how there aren't really any linguistic flourishes in the JP dialogue. Kinda like Vagrant Story, that game's story was incredible but the English dialogue was all Alexander O Smith and collaborators.

Back