What Games Are You Playing?

Final Fantasy VI (pixel remaster)
In my FFXVI review, I mentioned the main thing that otherwise great game lacked was charm and personality. FFVI has those by the gallon. The chibi art style of 16-bit RPGs felt like it held back some games, but FFVI takes full advantage of it to make its varied cast of characters irresistable, whether it's someone throwing a knowing wink, a knucklehead martial artist bouncing around the screen, or a psychotic clown pulling Iyami's "Sheeeh!" pose when something doesn't go his way. Each character has an inventive signature playstyle in combat too, making for a lot of party-building options. All of this acts in service to one of the series' best stories, an epic ensemble piece that goes from one memorable scene to the next, even massively shaking up the structure of the game in its latter half.

The pixel remaster does a good job of addressing a couple of the original's few flaws. As good as the original's music was, the iconic opera scene was too ambitious for the audio capabilities of the SNES. Thankfully its unconvincing MIDI squawks are finally replaced with real vocals, along with the whole soundtrack getting excellent new arrangements. The other flaw in FFVI was always the massive amount of grinding required before facing the final dungeon, since it's the one part of the game where you need three full parties that can take on tough bosses. The optional progress boosters in the pixel remasters turn this into a much quicker exercise in the late-game.

The one problem that remains in FFVI is inextricably tied to its story. After giving the player over a dozen excellent characters to take into battle, the latter half of the game takes a lot of them away for a long time. Depending on which characters end up being your personal favourites, it can feel like it takes forever to get the band back together.

That one gripe aside, FFVI remains an all-time classic. Even if you normally have trouble engaging with games from the 8 or 16-bit eras, you will probably be pleasantly surprised at how well FFVI has aged.

Final Fantasy II (pixel remaster)
I've made a couple of previous attempts to play FFII, first with the NES original and then the PS1 remake, but just could not stand the awkward levelling system. The pixel remaster does a good job of rebalancing it, so that you can now build up your characters as the designer probably intended originally, instead of having to resort to infamous workarounds like beating up your own characters to increase their stats. Despite that, FFII remains a weirdly masochistic experience where you will be happy about monsters beating the stuffing out of your party because that will increase their HP and defence.

FFII has amazing flexibility in developing your characters' abilities, especially when you consider it was originally a NES game. Fortunately I got lucky and put together a party that saw me through the bulk of the game with few problems. The final boss was a different story though. Talk about a difficulty spike. I looked up some walkthroughs, which all mention that the standard method for defeating him requires a weapon that can only be obtained during one brief moment in the story. I'd already missed that chance, so I thought I was screwed. I ended up coming up with an unorthodox and counterintuitive strategy that worked, but I was just lucky that two of my characters had high enough evasion for it. Even if you're not the type to check walkthroughs on your first attempt (as I'm usually not), I would recommend looking up how to get the blood sword, even if only to keep it as a backup.

The plot has all the twists and turns that would come to typify some of the later FF games, but it whizzes through them with little dialogue. It's like the skeleton of a FF story without the fleshed out dialogue scenes that make the later ones great. There are a surprising number of noble sacrifices, but the game is in such a hurry that each death just allows for a few seconds of sad music before you trot off to the next location without comment. There are some okay characters, but the main party get short shrift on characterisation, with only caveman-esque meathead Guy being remotely interesting (the dude can talk to beavers...).

It ends up feeling like Final Fantasy on fast forward, my first complete playthrough clocking in at a mere 15 hours. Even in its improved pixel remaster state I wouldn't recommend FFII for anyone but the series completionist. It's not bad; it's just that the series has produced so much better games in the years since. Definitely don't prioritise it over IV, VI, or even V.

Final Fantasy (pixel remaster)
Like FFII, I've made a couple of previous attempts at this game (PS1 and PSP versions), but never finished it before. This time, I only knew one thing: I wanted to kill Chaos. I needed to. It wasn't a hope or a dream. It was like a hunger, a thirst.

If FFII was the levelling system that the series never returned to, then FFI is the critical path that time forgot. Looking at the two side-by-side, FFII was the real prototype for future FF plot structures: recurring NPCs, major characters who tell you what to do next, etc. FFI does a lot less hand-holding, for better or worse. Villains aside, there aren't really any characters you need to speak to more than once or twice. Hardly anyone even has a name. Rather than being given specific quest goals (aside from the broad strokes of "fix the crystals"), you have to speak to every NPC in every town and piece together what to do next based on fragments and rumours, like a proto-Shenmue. It's surprisingly freeform a lot of the time, allowing you to tackle certain sections in different orders. Though a more organic system in theory, in practice this could be a pain at times. There were a few places where I could not figure out what to do next and had to resort to a walkthrough.

Thankfully, the progress boosters took the pain out of the major level grinding this game requires. If anything, the pixel remaster requires more grinding than earlier versions, since I'd heard that Chaos has apparently been bench-pressing behemoths, and can now flatten parties capable of one-hit killing any other enemy in the game. Fortunately the lords of RNG looked kindly on me; he didn't use his most annoying abilities and I beat him on my first attempt, with 10 hours on the clock.

I'm glad to have finally filled in these two missing chapters in my experience of the FF series, but I don't know if I'll ever replay the first two games again. While the battle systems have aged well enough (in their tweaked pixel remaster versions), when it comes to story, characters, or locations, they just can't compete with what came later.

Last edited:
Having had it sitting for quite some time, I've finally gotten around to the remake of Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I'm not sure how it compares with playing the game on the original hardware (I've casually tried a few times to acquire the cart, but never been successful), but the remake takes a lot of getting used to. The controls, even with the 'assist' mode turned on, are very slippery, leading to a great many aimless deaths from misjudged jumps. Compared with other 8-bit Sega platformers like Wonderboy in the Dragon's Trap, which still holds up remarkably well (and also boasts an excellent remake), I think, assuming it's a fair representation of the original, Miracle World just hasn't aged well. I'm a patient man, but the quirkier parts that give the game its personality, like the vehicle sections and the scissors-paper-stone boss fights, are far too weighed down by gameplay which just feels twitchy and needlessly unforgiving.

I really wanted to love this one, the pixel art graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is great, but it's been an incredibly frustrating playthrough, and even though I think I'm on the final level now, I can see myself dropping it in the near future.

Having had it sitting for quite some time, I've finally gotten around to the remake of Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I'm not sure how it compares with playing the game on the original hardware (I've casually tried a few times to acquire the cart, but never been successful), but the remake takes a lot of getting used to. The controls, even with the 'assist' mode turned on, are very slippery, leading to a great many aimless deaths from misjudged jumps. Compared with other 8-bit Sega platformers like Wonderboy in the Dragon's Trap, which still holds up remarkably well (and also boasts an excellent remake), I think, assuming it's a fair representation of the original, Miracle World just hasn't aged well. I'm a patient man, but the quirkier parts that give the game its personality, like the vehicle sections and the scissors-paper-stone boss fights, are far too weighed down by gameplay which just feels twitchy and needlessly unforgiving.

I really wanted to love this one, the pixel art graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is great, but it's been an incredibly frustrating playthrough, and even though I think I'm on the final level now, I can see myself dropping it in the near future.
Slippery controls and frustration sure sounds like Alex Kidd to me. How he ever got more than one game is beyond me, and even more so that Sega were grooming him to be their mascot before Sonic showed up. The only remotely decent one is Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, and that's mainly because of the ways it's more like Shinobi than Alex Kidd.

Oh well, I’m glad I’m not coming down hard on the game unnecessarily. Even though I never owned it, I do have fond memories of playing the original on a friend’s Master System when were little. It does strike me now though that I don’t remember anything past the second level…

I did play one of these in June but it wasn't completed until July, but I also played a few more (and one of them wasn't finished until August).

#12 - FINAL FANTASY XVI (PlayStation 5)
Acquired: June 2023

Final Fantasy is a franchise that I do like a lot, but admittedly I had only played a few of their games. Final Fantasy III on the Nintendo DS was the first one I've played but it was very challenging and hard to navigate, while Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 was off-putting and when I reached the open-world section, I got K.O.'d instantly and pretty much gave up. That said, Final Fantasy XV on PlayStation 4 was the one that I was able to complete (and even get a Platinum). When Final Fantasy VII Remake was on its way I used the opportunity to play both X & XII in the backlog, which were two great JRPGs. X to me, I still consider to have the best turn-based system amongst the many that I have played, and while I did enjoy XII I felt its battle system wasn't up to par due to how automated it felt.

Going into Final Fantasy XVI I didn't exactly feel the hype and anticipation that everyone was having, and I wonder if its because of the Final Fantasy XIV fanbase given its the same creative team involved. Regardless it's always good to keep a low expectation or try to avoid the hype so that your stance is at a better level to enjoy it and not feel dismayed by any promises or rumours that you may have encountered.

One thing that I had expected going into the game was the concept itself. XVI is the franchise's first M-rated & PEGI 18 rated mainline game and going in we knew it had elements that were similar to Game of Thrones but keeping the fantasy aspect of the franchise. You could also say they were even inspired by Attack on Titan. It's a weird comparison to make for both of these popular IPs but it actually makes sense why I mention those two in particular. Final Fantasy XVI goes back to the medieval theme of the classic mainline titles but also provides ideas of rivalry between nations and families with some twists here and there. And then you have the addition of dominants which are individuals who can transform into giant eikons like Bahamut, Shiva and Garuta.

So after playing Final Fantasy XVI, I can say that the marketing did a very good job fooling you expecting the comparisons that I mentioned above. They are there, but it's more so part of the introduction to what the game truly offers, because what we have at the end of the day is still our usual Final Fantasy journey. The game's world map features vast amount of monsters and people that you can interact with, all fully voiced and the transition from battle to travelling is pretty fast. The people are also dicks but eventually it gets better as you progress the story.

Despite the game being available for more than a month, I found that the story is best experienced going in blind so I won't talk about it much here. But what I will say is that after playing the game, I felt that what we have is essentially a modernised version of the classic Final Fantasy games. The modernised parts being the Action RPG gameplay, the realistic graphics, the mature tone and world-building that gave people comparisons to Game of Thrones. I very much enjoyed the story and I think it's up there as one of the best in the franchise, especially how complete it felt with its conclusion. If you get lost in the story, the game does feature a lot of information to help you understand each character, factions and more to keep you up-to-speed.

Clive as a main character is well-developed and likeable throughout your journey, he grows as the story progresses and is pretty cool. Other noteworthy characters are Cid, Gav and even Dion who I wish had more time because he's also an interesting character in this game for specific reasons I won't mention. The rest of the cast I felt were not as memorable as I had wanted, probably because there wasn't enough charisma in the voice, or they felt 1-dimensional or not enough interesting lore related to them when you compare them to others in the franchise. They're not bad, just not enough to make me go "oh yeah that person was great because of this and that".

With that out of the way, let's talk about gameplay because many kept comparing the game to Devil May Cry and button mashing. The game does start off with a simple one button combo approach but as you progress you will unlock more abilities that branch out your options and give you enough of a variety to change up the combat with different styles, for instance using various elemental attacks and special moves whether its projectiles or extra parrying options. I also enjoyed the dodging mechanic as its very useful and effective during combat, whilst the parrying is more of a risk and reward approach because it's challenging to pull off. All abilities can be upgraded and you can mix and match so you can have a variety at your disposal. I enjoyed all of them and there are trials available to test your skills on them, so you can try them out and see what best fits for you.

In terms of content, outside the story we have side quests, hunts, chronoliths, and curiosities collectibles. Side quests are the game's weakest points as most of them are pretty forgettable and repetitive, but there are some that do have major connections to the story (noted with the + sign) and add more context to the locals in those areas. A few will also pave way for bonus travel options, more weapon unlocks and more space to use potions and items during combat. The hunts are really fun, essentially you fight a big boss to earn more EXP and money, but a couple are also tied to side quests if you want to complete them. The chronoliths are the mini trials that test your skills on each elemental ability (being vague here, but this unlocks later in the story). Completing the chronoliths will also unlock a curiosity collectible, as most of these are sorted through side quests. Before you ask, only the first 20 side quests are missable and you'll know when you're at that point when a notice appears, so once you sort those out and continue the rest can be done at any point.

Last bit to talk about is performance. The game offers two options; high graphics or framerate, and I went with the latter. Now I won't lie, the performance is not particularly great but for the most part it was serviceable and the developers are looking to patch this in the future to get this sorted. The graphics had a lot of flack from the gaming community but to be honest both the graphics and the user interface reminded me of the PS3 era in terms of presentation so it felt retro and nostalgic. The voice work was solid and thankfully they went with proper British accents rather than Americans pretending to be British with their Victorian 'cup of tea' accents (for instance Cid's voice actor is Ralph Ineson, one of the cast members from The Office UK which was amusing).

So overall is Final Fantasy XVI worth the full retail price? I say absolutely. The game provides you with a complete and accessible story with a great protagonist, a solid music score and tons of content that makes it worth while. You also have Final Fantasy mode which is this game's New Game + feature which allows you to take on tougher enemies during the story. This was a really enjoyable experience and while I have yet to decide whether this would be my favourite in the franchise, it's definitely up there. I will admit it is not a perfect game, as the side content was hit and miss, and there are definitely pacing issues here and there (they're essentially side quests in disguise), but overall it's a solid mainline game. I didn't talk about the Eikon battles because that's best going in blind because they are a lot of fun, but given there's a Capcom staff member involved I would not be surprised if they were obsessed with Asura's Wrath.

One last thing to mention is the trophy list if you're going for the Platinum trophy. Now I didn't get the Platinum because the game wants you to playthrough the story twice (the second time for Final Fantasy mode). That said, the list is very easy but will reuire a lot of time spent doing the side content. I spent 58 hours on my first playthrough dealing with almost everything and Level 50 is the cap for your first playthrough, whilst Final Fantasy mode increases the cap to Level 100.

#13 - Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (PlayStation Vita)
Acquired: July 2018

After completing Hyperdevotion Noire I wanted to keep the Nep Nep spin-off train going and wrap up what was released on the Vita. Back in 2018 I bought most of the Neptunia games that I wanted on that platform (excluding Perfecting Perfection) but they weren't played until years later.

What Neptunia does with their titles is that each game tends to share a specific theme, whether its a gameplay design or a concept. To provide some examples, Perfecting Perfection was an idol simulator (a badly designed one from what I had heard) and Hyperdevotion Noire is a tactical RPG with various characters each having a connection to Sony PlayStation. With Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed we have two new characters who are references to magazines/editorial companies with Dengeki and Famitsu, plus the gameplay is now an action focused one where you whack enemies on the screen all over the map. It's not exactly a Musou type experience but more like the Senran Kagura titles which coincidently this spin-off was developed by Tamsoft.

Now I'll get this out of the way, due to how the game was designed I had accidently skipped the dialogue because once you press skip it keeps it active throughout the whole game and by the time I figured out how to undo it I decided to just focus on the gameplay because there really isn't that much going on other than Dengeki and Famitsu want to interview our CPU cast. The gameplay has three sections - the main story mode which consists of quests spread across multiple locations. The locations are mostly recycled from the mainline games and the goal is primarily find some items or defeat all enemies on screen until a boss appears.

Much like Senran Kagura, when you start the quests you don't do that much damage against the enemies but you will eventually level up and gain more attack power and defence against tougher enemies. The enemy variety isn't much but the quests for the most part are fairly short. The gameplay consists of you hitting enemies using a high and low power attack and when you deal enough damage to enemies, a bar fills up mid-way through that allows your partner to use their CPU powers which provides more damage and power against the enemies on the screen. This is a weird mechanic because it does force you to control both characters during your quest, which is not a bad idea but at the same time it can cause balancing issues depending on the situation, as your partner may not be on the same wave length i.e. they could have different attacks that don't fit the level or they may get K.O.'d faster than you would have wanted. That said, when the powers are used it does a good job clearing enemies from the screen, though there isn't much variety overall so it does become repetitive.

What made Hyperdevotion Noire really interesting was that each character had different abilities and personalities so they stood out, but here we only have 10 characters in total and while its cool to have the option to use CPU mode, without a wide variety of abilities, repetition is all that's left. It is fortunate the quests are not super long but it can take a while if you start one that recommends a much higher level than you are currently at. As you defeat enemies you will notice coins show up which are medals that you can use to redeem additional health, defence and power points as well as unlocking more accessories and weapons.

The story mode only has three chapters which is rather short compared to other games that came prior, but in return we do have two more modes available. The second mode that is unlocked after finishing Chapter 3 of the story is a mini tournament mode which is like those old tournament modes you get in a Dragon Ball Z Budokai game, where you can select a character and fight to reach the top spot in an arena that looks like it came out of Kingdom Hearts' Olympus Coliseum. To be fair this mode is pretty entertaining as Compa and IF make a cameo appearance to spectate the fights.

The third mode is Neptral Tower which consists of 50 floors with each floor containing various monsters to fight. The tower is not exactly balanced but you can manage to get to the top without major issue, however each character has to play all 50 floors to reach the top, but it counts the pairing which can speed up the pacing. Other than that, the game does have clothes destroying stuff like Senran Kagura but is fairly tame. There's also mini event dialogue but it's not much.

The trophies in this game are much easier than the others in the franchise released at that point. The Lily Ranks system does make a return, but to build a level you need to play 3 stages with your chosen partner which can be sorted much faster when you unlock in-game cheats like 1-hit kills. In total the game took me 34 hours 13 mins to get all of the trophies which consists of finishing the story, playing the tournament mode with all characters, finishing the tower with all characters and all Lily Ranks completed for all characters in addition to all accessories and medals collected.

To be honest, Hyperdimension Neptunia U is a rather mediocre spin-off despite its gameplay and additional modes. I like the ideas throughout this game but is rather underwhelming. I suppose Hyperdevotion Noire was the peak in terms of spin-offs for the PlayStation Vita but I still have more to go for the franchise. Performance on the Vita was pretty good outside of the long loading times. The game was exclusive to PlayStation Vita but is also available to play on PC.

#14 - MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (PlayStation Vita)
Acquired: July 2018

And as soon as I had finished Action Unleashed I was immediately going to go straight into the next spin-off in the backlog which was MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies. This game puts Blanc as the main lead and the story is a surprising one as we have the cast now in a school where they decide to make a Zombie film because the school is in danger (literally Love Live!'s plot but without idols), but also use real-life zombies during the filming which adds some more amusement to the mix.

So the gameplay is very similar to Action Unleashed as Tamsoft have returned to develop this title, but in return Tamsoft the character joins the group and she's a fun busty ninja which fits in line with the Senran Kagura homage. Now the story and dialogue I did enjoy this time around and while the final villain reveal was lackluster the journey was entertaining and I appreciated it. The gameplay on the other hand I felt was rather messy and convoluted.

It's hard to describe how I feel about MegaTagmension Blanc because the mission structure I enjoyed a lot more in terms of difficulty as it was the right balance compared to Action Unleashed which was grindy, but the setup in terms of the equipment and progression was inferior. Previous games had accessories that gave you additional health or offence power but this game they replace that with mini slots within your weapon which is not great. You also have to rely on points gained by levelling to add more health, defence and power which is alright but it just means you have to grind in a specific way just to progress and I hate that.

There were numerous occasions where I struggled and because of how messy the controls were, I didn't realise you could activate HDD until half-way through the story. The way the game uses EXE abilities is not as simplistic as Action Unleashed which is ironic considering I had some gripes with the combat on that as well. But overall what does save this game is how short it is because I would have considered this to be one of the least likeable spin-offs had it been twice as long.

Alongside the story mode we also have multiplayer which can be played solo using ad-hoc. In the multiplayer mode, we have more missions available and I have played through all of them. Honestly they were pretty solid in general, however the big bosses are terribly designed because they keep running away when you want to perform specific moves and I found this to be infuriating as all it does is just pad out the fights themselves. It's even more ridiculous when you want to go for the Platinum trophy because some of the trophies requires items that have a pretty awful drop rate that can range from a few minutes to a couple of days if you're very unfortunate. I got very lucky getting the rest of the trophies a day after I started the grind whereas others had waited much longer. And while in-game cheats do make a return, they don't apply to multiplayer compared to Action Unleashed. There's no Lily Rank max trophies at least but I find these drop rates to be worse given Lily Rank progression in this game to be much better paced.

So MegaTagmension Blanc also ended up to be a mixed bag. It's like the opposite of Action Unleashed where I really enjoyed and engaged with the story mode but the gameplay goes in the wrong direction. I do think it's worth checking out if you're not a trophy hunter at all as there's some fun in the dialogue and it's fairly short compared to other spin-offs. This is exclusive to the Vita but you can also play it on PC.

My backlog so far:
#​
PC/Steam Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the SkyTurn-Based RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SCTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation 3 Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
3D Dot Game HeroesAction RPG
2​
Bleach: Soul ResurrecciónFighting
3​
Castlevania: Lords of ShadowAction, Hack n Slash
4​
CatherinePuzzle
5​
Drakengard 3Action RPG
6​
Eternal SonataTurn-Based RPG
7​
FolkloreAction RPG
8​
Gran Turismo 5 Academy EditionRacing
9​
inFAMOUSAction
10​
inFAMOUS 2Action
11​
Katamari ForeverPuzzle
12​
Prince of PersiaAction, Platformer
13​
PuppeteerPlatformer
14​
SEGA RallyRacing
15​
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeAction, Platformer
16​
Split/Second: VelocityRacing
17​
StrangleholdAction, Shooter
18​
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the OverlordTactical RPG, Visual Novel
19​
Way of the Samurai 4Action
#​
PlayStation 4 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
13 Sentinels: Aegis RimTactical RPG, Visual Novel
2​
AI: The Somnium FilesAdventure, Visual Novel
3​
Black Clover: Quartet KnightsAction, Fighting
4​
Bullet Girls PhantasiaAction, Shooter
5​
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseTurn-Based RPG
6​
Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New ChampionsSports
7​
Catherine Full BodyPuzzle
8​
Chaos;ChildVisual Novel
9​
Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve StarsTurn-Based RPG
10​
CRYSTARAction RPG
11​
Cyberdimension Neptunia: Four Goddesses OnlineAction RPG
12​
Danganronpa 1 ReloadVisual Novel
13​
Danganronpa 2 ReloadVisual Novel
14​
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair GirlsAction, Shooter
15​
Danganronpa V3: Killing HarmonyVisual Novel
16​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 1: Rinne UtopiaVisual Novel, Dating Sim
17​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 2: Ars InstallVisual Novel, Dating Sim
18​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 3: Twin Edition: Rio ReincarnationVisual Novel, Dating Sim
19​
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's MemoryTurn-Based RPG
20​
Disaster Report 4: Summer MemoriesAdventure, Simulation
21​
Dissidia Final Fantasy NTArcade, Fighting
21​
Dragon Quest Heroes IIAction RPG, Musou
22​
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive EditionTurn-Based RPG
23​
Dragon's Crown ProAction RPG
24​
Fairy TailTurn-Based RPG
25​
Fate/Extella LinkMusou
26​
Final Fantasy VIII RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
27​
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares WinTactical RPG
28​
Gal*Gun 2On-Rails Shooter
29​
Gintama RumbleAction, Musou
30​
GOD EATER 3Action Hunter RPG
31​
Gravity Rush 2Action, Platformer
32​
The Great Ace Attorney: AdventuresVisual Novel
33​
The Great Ace Attorney 2: ResolveVisual Novel
34​
Gundam Breaker 3 BREAK EDITIONAction, Arcade
35​
The Hong Kong MassacreTop-Down Shooter
36​
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite CombateAction RPG
37​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of HeavenFighting
38​
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of FujisawaPuzzle, Visual Novel
39​
LangrisserTactical RPG
40​
Langrisser IITactical RPG
41​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold SteelTurn-Based RPG
42​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IITurn-Based RPG
43​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IIITurn-Based RPG
44​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IVTurn-Based RPG
45​
Legend of ManaAction RPG
46​
Megadimension Neptunia VIITurn-Based RPG
47​
Megadimension Neptunia VIIRTurn-Based RPG
48​
MELTY BLOOD: TYPE LUMINAFighting
49​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja StormAction, Fighting
50​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2Action, Fighting
51​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3Action, Fighting
52​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: Road to BorutoAction, Fighting
53​
NEO: The World Ends With YouAction RPG
54​
Neptunia Virtual StarsAction
55​
Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja WarsAction
56​
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
57​
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KingdomAction RPG
58​
Nights of AzureAction RPG
59​
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New MoonAction RPG
60​
One Piece Burning BloodFighting
61​
One Piece Unlimited World RedAction
62​
One Piece World SeekerAction
63​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3Musou
64​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4Musou
65​
Our World Is EndedVisual Novel
66​
Persona 5 RoyalTurn-Based RPG
67​
Persona 5 StrikersAction RPG, Musou
68​
Phoenix Wright: Ace AttorneyVisual Novel
69​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for AllVisual Novel
70​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and TribulationsVisual Novel
71​
Punch LineVisual Novel
72​
Raging LoopVisual Novel
73​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Prophecy of the ThroneVisual Novel
74​
Robotics;Notes DaSHVisual Novel
75​
Robotics;Notes ELITEVisual Novel
76​
RUINERAction, Shooter
77​
SD Gundam G Generation Cross RaysTactical RPG
78​
SD Gundam G Generation GenesisTactical RPG
79​
Secret of ManaAction RPG
80​
Sengoku Basara 4: SumeragiMusou
81​
Senran Kagura Burst Re:NewalAction
82​
Shadow of the ColossusPlatformer
83​
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD RemasterTurn-Based RPG
84​
Star Ocean: First Departure RAction RPG
85​
Star Ocean: The Last Hope HD RemasterAction RPG
86​
Steins;Gate EliteVisual Novel
87​
Super Neptunia RPGTurn-Based RPG
88​
Super Robot Wars 30Tactical RPG
89​
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon DwellersTactical RPG
90​
Super Robot Wars TTactical RPG
91​
Super Robot Wars XTactical RPG
92​
Sword Art Online: Fatal BulletAction RPG
93​
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Sessions!Music, Rhythm
94​
Tales of BerseriaAction RPG
95​
Tales of VesperiaAction RPG
96​
Theatrhythm Final Bar LineMusic, Rhythm
97​
Tokyo Xanadu eX+Action RPG
98​
Trials of ManaAction RPG
99​
Utawarerumono: Mask of DeceptionTactical RPG, Visual Novel
100​
Utawarerumono: Mask of TruthTactical RPG, Visual Novel
101​
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the FallenTactical RPG, Visual Novel
102​
Utawarerumono: ZanAction, Musou
103​
Valkyria Chronicles 4Tactical RPG
104​
Valkyria RevolutionAction RPG
105​
WipEout Omega CollectionRacing
106​
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival EditionAction RPG
107​
WORLDEND SYNDROMEVisual Novel
108​
Yakuza 3 RemasteredAction Beat em up
109​
Yakuza 4 RemasteredAction Beat em up
110​
Yakuza 5 RemasteredAction Beat em up
111​
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this WorldVisual Novel
112​
Ys IX: Monstrum NoxAction RPG
#​
PlayStation 5 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Alan Wake RemasteredAction, Shooter
2​
CONTROL Ultimate EditionAction, Shooter
3​
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII -Reunion-Action RPG
4​
Cyberpunk 2077Action
5​
Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami ChroniclesFighting
6​
The DioField ChronicleTactical RPG
7​
DOOM EternalAction, Shooter
8​
GrimGrimoire OnceMoreReal-Time Strategy RPG
9​
HadesDungeon Crawler
10​
Hot Wheels UnleashedRacing
11​
JudgmentAction, Beat em up
12​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails into ReverieTurn-Based RPG
13​
Lost JudgmentAction, Beat em up
14​
Mobile Suit Gundam BATTLE OPERATION Code FairyAction
15​
MONARKTactical RPG
16​
Neptunia ReVerseTurn-Based RPG
17​
Neptunia: Sisters vs SistersAction RPG
18​
Nioh 2Action Souls RPG
19​
QuakeAction, Shooter
20​
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit of Wonder LabyrinthMetroidvania RPG
21​
RelayerTactical RPG
22​
SD Gundam Battle AllianceAction RPG
23​
Star Ocean: The Divine ForceAction RPG
24​
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginAction Souls RPG
25​
Tactics Ogre RebornTactical RPG
26​
Valkyrie ElysiumAction RPG
27​
Yakuza 7: Like a DragonTurn-Based RPG
28​
Yurukill: The Calumniation GamesShoot em up, Visual Novel
#​
PlayStation Classics (via PS5) Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Ape EscapePlatformer
2​
Disney Pixar's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the RescuePlatformer
3​
Everybody's GolfSports
4​
Everybody's Golf 2Sports
5​
Jumping Flash!Platformer
6​
KurushiPuzzle
7​
The Legend of DragoonTurn-Based RPG
8​
Syphon FilterAction, Shooter
9​
Syphon Filter 2Action, Shooter
10​
Syphon Filter 3Action, Shooter
11​
Valkyrie Profile: LennethTurn-Based RPG
12​
Wild ArmsTurn-Based RPG
13​
Wild Arms 2Turn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation Vita Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Bullet GirlsAction, Shooter
2​
Freedom WarsAction
3​
Muv-LuvVisual Novel, Dating Sim
4​
Muv-Luv AlternativeVisual Novel
5​
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard GirlsTurn-Based RPG
6​
Valkyrie Drive BhikkhuniAction
#​
Nintendo Switch Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Cytus AlphaMusic, Rhythm
2​
Final FantasyTurn-Based RPG
3​
Final Fantasy IITurn-Based RPG
4​
Final Fantasy IIITurn-Based RPG
5​
Final Fantasy IVTurn-Based RPG
6​
Final Fantasy VTurn-Based RPG
7​
Final Fantasy VITurn-Based RPG
8​
Fire Emblem: Three HousesTactical RPG
9​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from ZeroTurn-Based RPG
10​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to AzureTurn-Based RPG
11​
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WildAction RPG
12​
Live A LiveTactical RPG
13​
Mario Kart 8 DeluxeRacing
14​
Metroid DreadMetroidvania
15​
Metroid Prime RemasteredAction, Shooter
16​
MUSYNXMusic, Rhythm
17​
New Super Mario Bros U DeluxePlatformer
18​
Senran Kagura Peach BallPinball
19​
Senran Kagura ReflexionsSimulation
20​
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's FuryAction, Platformer
21​
Super Mario GalaxyAction, Platformer
22​
Super Mario SunshineAction, Platformer
23​
Super Smash Bros. UltimateFighting
24​
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive EditionAction RPG
25​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2Action RPG
26​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden CountryAction RPG

gGNW84cl.png
The 2023 '40' Games Goal:
No.Game
Console​
Acquired​
Genre
1​
Shining Resonance Refrain
PS4​
2018​
Action RPG
2​
Wing of Darkness
PS4​
2022​
Action, Arcade
3​
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
PS4​
2022​
Puzzle
4​
Tales of Zestiria
PS4​
2018​
Action RPG
5​
RESIDENT EVIL 4
PS5​
2023​
Action, Survival Horror
6​
RESIDENT EVIL 2
PS5​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
7​
RESIDENT EVIL 3
PS5​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
8​
Resident Evil Revelations
PS4​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
9​
Resident Evil Revelations 2
PS4​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
10​
Resident Evil 6
PS4​
2022​
Action, Survival Horror
11​
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
Vita​
2018​
Tactical RPG
12​
FINAL FANTASY XVI
PS5​
2023​
Action RPG
13​
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed
Vita​
2018​
Action, Musou
14​
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Vita​
2018​
Action, Musou

FmtJjLOl.png

The games I play every day are genshin impact and diablo 4. super like them😍
already have a lvl 60 character in diablo 4 and 60 AR in GI, which was released relatively recently. i enjoy the gameplay, i really like the map for its atmosphere. i play as a mage mainly because of ice + electric. i don't seem to have any problems.👽
upd:I added more pyro, because some people had unpleasant resistances I got this advice here

Last edited:
Baldur's Gate III

20230808133802_1.jpg

Why am I getting blamed for this terrible accident? Dror told me he wanted the floor oiling and to be brought those barrels of gunpowder, I was just following orders. Seriously though, within the game mechanics I think if I drop a brazier on him from up in the rafters out of all NPC line of sight then immediately and successfully hide, there's no real reason everyone should aggro on me. Comments seem to suggest stealth was way too OP in early access, but it feels like it might have gone the other way now. Come on Larian, let me Agent 47 this. The goblins are all right, it's just their crappy leadership I have a problem with.

Anyway, I'm still in Act I after 20 hours but so far this game absolutely lives up to the Baldur's Gate name. It's like Larian blended the best parts of BGII and Dragon Age: Origins and seasoned it with a little Disco Elysium. The sheer amount of stuff you can do is amazing, I'm already very aware that if was playing another class, race or had different skills then my experience would have been very different, which has me hyped for replaying it already. My minor stealth niggle aside, the gameplay seems rock solid and probably the best interpretation of actual D&D I've seen. The world is wonderfully realised, it really does feel like being back in a better BGII. Actual RPG heaven, more proof independent developers can make better AAA games than the big corporations with all their wealth and power and it only took 22 years (what a horrible, horrible thought). Maybe there's hope for Half Life 3 yet.

I am slightly concerned that my camp already seems pretty full and while I don't know for certain, because I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible, this probably means there aren't a lot more companions to find. While I'm enjoying the ones I have so far (Lae'zel literally, that one dev wasn't wrong about the raunchiness) and they all seem to have interesting stories and interactions, in BG & BGII there was a choice of several companions for each role to suit your leanings as a do-gooder or a scourge of the Realms. If Astarion and Shadowheart really are the only thief and cleric in the game (and you're not playing either class yourself) then I can see that potentially being a bit of an issue down the line if they don't agree with your decisions. You can play without those classes I suppose, but personally I always like to have both because what sort of insane adventurer doesn't make use of healing or lock-picking? And if you were to play say, an evil wizard, I can see a similar issue in that all the tanky characters seem to be rather noble. Guess we'll see how it goes.

BG3 is so far a fantastic game, and one I just went and bought on Steam without any real idea what it was like, other than I saw it was being made by the DOS2 devs. I liked that game but I somehow never completed it. I can see now that BG3 is the same sort of game but just better in almost every way that matters.

My main complaint at the moment is that camera angles can get a bit wonky at times, I wish you had a bit more control about vertical camera scrolling.

Naturally, I'm in yuri heaven, with an all female party, just because I can. It's also I think the only way I can do this with the possible origin characters.

My party consists of:

Custom MC called Cel - half-elf rogue, as you said, need a thief.
Shadowheart - Cleric origin character.
Lae-zel - Fighter origin character.
Karlach - Barbarian origin character.

Being relatively evil is the order of the day.

I'm playing a co-op campaign with a friend where I am playing a Gnome Sorceress, who has tentacle tattoos around the eyes and likes tadpoles, long walks on the beach, and gaining power by any means necessary.

I'm following my friends lead, but I want all the tadpoles for my collection. What can go wrong?

Learning the systems is fairly in-depth and there is still a lot I don't fully get, but I'm getting there with how the DND rules work, I've only played DND once in real life, so I kind of knew bits and pieces of it, but I like how the game abstracts a lot of the dice rolling and does the leg work on calculating stuff.

Some good tips I learnt recently:
  • Shift-C makes the whole party stealth all at once.
  • G to unlink/re-link party members.
  • Shift-Space puts you into turn based combat anytime, so you can pickpocket or surprise attack without worry about stuff moving about.
  • You can toggle a passive skill to attempt to knock people out instead of killing them, can be good if you wanna go pickpocketing and don't want to kill them outright.

Meanwhile, I played BG3 since the first cycle of Early Access and put a lot of energy into reporting gamebreaking bugs and generally being helpful, and am currently extremely irritated that everyone else is able to play the release version while I've had the rug pulled out from under me. I had the Mac version, which was day and date with Windows throughout Early Access and sold to me as a simultaneous release, only for me to discover on release day (after wiping all of my saves and downloading what I thought was the release client as per their instructions) that it had been quietly pulled without a word to the users who paid for it. Now I have no idea when it will be released, and apparently neither do its makers. So that's a fun way to destroy the goodwill of someone who paid for the game back in 2020.

It feels bad, and has honestly destroyed my impression of how Larian treats its (paying) playtesters. Not least because my multiplayer buddy is already playing on without me and my lack of availability is spoiling his experience with the game too. I can at least play on PS5 in a month (I preordered that version too on the strength of Early Access) but there's no confirmation of crossplay with PS5, so I'll probably be playing that alone. After my friend has finished anyway. Who delays one of the original core platforms (RIP Stadia, haha) indefinitely without bothering to tell anyone?!

Anyway, I hope everyone else is enjoying it. I'm bitter and jealous. Advice about running the Windows version is not required; my laptop isn't very powerful and I'm unwilling to take the enormous performance hit just to crawl around at 2fps in a world which looks like Minecraft when I already know that the native version I paid for runs beautifully.

R

Ah that sucks, I don't really put much thought into Mac vs PC for stuff as I've never had one. Can the Mac emulate PC somehow? I thought that was a thing, but not sure on the specifics of it.

BG3 is so far a fantastic game, and one I just went and bought on Steam without any real idea what it was like, other than I saw it was being made by the DOS2 devs. I liked that game but I somehow never completed it. I can see now that BG3 is the same sort of game but just better in almost every way that matters.
Since you're enjoying it so much I'd definitely recommend checking out the original games at some point, both of which have remasters now. I don't think playing them out of order is likely to matter given that we're 100 years on in the timeline in BGIII, they are for my money some of the best old school RPG experiences. BGII is still my favourite game of all time, we'll see if BGIII manages to dethrone it.

I'm still a lot more familiar with 3/3.5e than I am 5e (even though I have played 5e a little) so while there's changes I'm having to learn as well, familiarity with D&D definitely allows people to hit the ground running. I can imagine anyone completely new to the system might find it all a bit bewildering at first, but the game makes it fairly easy to pick up. Maybe unless you pick a more complicated class. I'm also going sorcerer for my first playthrough (who I RP as being the child of my original BG character, he's a half-drow so he can still be alive, hope that headcanon doesn't screw with any upcoming lore too much). I've come to like that class very much, magic based off the same stat that also lets you charm your way out of anything? I'll have some of that, thanks.

Shift-Space puts you into turn based combat anytime
Hoho, first keybind I changed when I realised slamming the spacebar didn't immediately stop time like it did in BG & BGII. I don't have time to be remembering to hold shift.

Thank you for your service @Rui, I was simply too much of a cheapskate to shell out £50 for early access and don't really pay much attention to what's going on with Macs (much like Larian by the sound of it) but that does seem like pretty shoddy behaviour.

So after many attempts with different methods, I don't think there's any way to kill Dror without turning all the goblins hostile. It appears to be scripted to happen when he dies, even if you quietly shove him off a cliff while you're both shrouded in a darkness spell without turning him hostile. Bugger. That was a waste of a couple of hours, seems a bit pointless to allow the player to stealthily off Minthara and Gut, but not Dror. Perhaps some advances in gaming are not for the best after all; I feel bad killing the gobbos now, they have personalities.

Last edited:
BG wasn't on the menu for me, I thought Alan Wake II was my next big thing, but after all I've seen and read, it is now. Looks pretty fun!

Jealous of you guys (except for Rui, that's pretty s-hitty). Hope to join on release day for PS, or thereabouts.

Hoho, first keybind I changed when I realised slamming the spacebar didn't immediately stop time like it did in BG & BGII. I don't have time to be remembering to hold shift.

I'll have to try out swapping it over to space bar!

BG wasn't on the menu for me, I thought Alan Wake II was my next big thing, but after all I've seen and read, it is now. Looks pretty fun!

Go on, you know you want to!

Okay, I've found my first major game breaking bug in BGIII: I cannot have sex. That's the reality I retreat into fantasy to get away from, Larian. No fewer than five of my companions want to jump my character's bones (charisma 17 working its magic) and no matter which one I choose, there is no sex scene. Have reported the bug, I'm doing my part now.

fixit.gif

I have a distinct feeling this is an issue related to how many things are queued up to happen upon resting at the camp and what happens when there are like, three. Because it's only gonna play one. It feels like resting at camp was designed to be done a hell of a lot more often than I am doing, mainly because I don't need to. I swear to Sharess if that cutscene of Astarion going all Paul Whitehouse "Monster, monster!" on me has overwritten a sex scene like I suspect it might have and this has permanently broken my romances, that foppish little elf is getting that stake through his heart after all. Funny as this issue might be, it is honestly pretty disheartening because having happened at a particular point in the story where you have to pick a partner which will not occur again, I'm concerned that if I just keep playing past it and it has broken my character relationships and dialogue, I am going to be pretty annoyed. So I've just stopped playing until I get a response. Which is equally annoying.

Edit: I also added in my feedback that maybe it would be a good idea to give the player a notification when there is a companion event to trigger at the camp, so they don't build up or go ignored by the player. Just a pop-up saying "Gale wants to talk to you" or "Asterion is looking forward to spending the evening with you" or something. I struggle to believe none of the early access testers identified this issue in three years when it's become an issue for me in three days.

Last edited:
I don't think I've hit that bug yet, but I also haven't invited most people into my camp, only my main party of the 4 lasses and a tag along skellie.

If it's related to what I think it is, that is to say the build up of multiple resting cutscenes at the same time, you may well not suffer from it as long as you're keeping on top of camp events. I hadn't been.

Hopefully they fix the small bugs like this, largely though not really hit any issues, which is a positive!

Couple of minor bugs which is to be expected.

I do long rest a fair bit, mostly as I have a lot of supplies and no real reason not to, also lets me keep on top of camp events :)

Couple of minor bugs which is to be expected.
It both is and it isn't, I feel like something this noticeable should really have been picked up in early access, unless those cutscenes simply weren't present until release, I don't know. At any rate, it seems I'm definitely not the only one with this kind of bug, or alone in thinking some camp cutscenes appear to be overriding others so you never get to see them and dialogue options concerning them don't appear. Missing cutscenes, while disappointing, I could live with, but it's the fact characters are also acting afterwards like they didn't happen either. That is concerning for story progression and makes me far more wary of playing on and simply hoping my quests haven't been f*d (much like my character).

So either this was never really explained properly in game or perhaps I just zoned out while talking to old man Withers, but one thing that has brightened my day somewhat is learning that he can respec not just the player character, but any member of your party. So apparently I can turn Astarion into a barbarian (has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?) or Lae'zel into a bard if I want to, completely negating my earlier concerns regarding class and alignment in companions. Neat.

Anyway, I've started a new game with a different character I'm less attached to in order to commit acts of unconscionable evil to take out my frustrations, I'll see what happens this time.

20230811020725_1.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway, I've started a new game with a different character I'm less attached to in order to commit acts of unconscionable evil to take out my frustrations, I'll see what happens this time.

Excellent! I had to reign in the evil a bit as it upset my party members and made one of them want to leave.

Shame!

Back