What Games Are You Playing?

Picked up Guitar Hero Live for PS4 today, as someone who actually plays guitar, it's nice to see how well Guitar Hero plays now. Some of the movements even resemble actual chords!

I finished Life Is Strange episode 5. Underwhelming ending but the best of the episodes to play for sure. Loved all the dark room stuff!
I also finished Tales From The Borderlands by playing episodes 3-5 over 2 days. Amazing Telltale series and not just as a huge Borderlands fan although that helped as I followed Handsome Jack all the way bar my last chair choice lol. I can't wait for Season 2.

Also played episode 1 of Talltales Minecraft series. I'm not a fan of the franchise but it's enjoyable enough. It's like playing The Lego Movie. The least greatest of all they've released mind IMO.

Been playing the last DLC for Borderlands too. It's the Claptrap one and is fun :)

After leaving it for about a month I got to the true end in MGS5. I kind of saw the ending coming but it was kind of cool none the less. I only have one proper story mission left, the one with Quiet, then I'm all done. I've also been getting back into Fallout New Vegas recently. It's one of those games where I wasn't too into it at first but I've been having quite a bit of fun since I've started it again recently. I thought I'd give it another go seeing as Fallout 4 looks fantastic and I plan on getting it day one. My biggest issue is the clunky shooting but FO4 looks like it's fixing that so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it.

Having never played the real game or knowing little about the franchise, I have been playing Minecraft: Storymode by Telltale. It's not bad but more for the fans, I think.

I have Rise of the Tomb Raider on preorder, and going to pick it up on Friday :)

I've also been getting back into MGS5, I've unlocked the online segment of the single-player (though I doubt I'll do much with it) and just completed the first "chapter".

What I'm finding is that whenever there's a cutscene or storyline element it tends to result in me having a lot less fun. When the story gets involved in a mission it usually means you'll be forced to play in a particular way (that you may not be used to or enjoy) and that undermines the freeform fun that missions are mostly about. There's also one particular event that punishes you basically relative to the amount of work you've put into sidequests and building up Mother Base (which for me is a whole lot), it's kind of frustrating and forces you to press ahead with the story to get past it (it doesn't take forever but it does end in one of the most story heavy non-freedom based missions).

The story and gameplay are really poorly integrated in general, I'd say. It's not terrible for the most part but between the rarity of the story appearing and it's tendency to make things less fun it does make me feel that I probably like the story less than I should. Cutscenes that have no direct effect on gameplay tend to be much better, the story is a bit silly at times but it kind of fits with the rest of the game in that respect. Still, it's a shame the two don't work together better.

It's still a pretty good game, I do like developing the base(s) and equipment. Weapon customisation is a nice idea once you unlock it, although it's a bit limited and basically mostly consists of sticking silencers on things that don't start with them. There doesn't even seem to be a way to switch weapons to non-lethal so my dreams of a non-lethal Light Machine Gun will likely go unrealised.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to finishing everything, the game can get a bit repetitive at times and there are an awful lot of things to do that include a bit too much loading (or travelling). I'm usually okay with wandering around for not much reward but there's not really much of an exploration element in the game so it doesn't quite work as well as other games (I'm expecting to get caught up in aimless wandering a lot in Fallout 4). If they do a sequel I think there's some potential to build on the systems, it might benefit from having more of a proper open-world with exploration and less need to go back and forth (technically you can actually do a lot of missions without leaving the zone but it's not really worth it).

So since I've started playing New Vegas I've become rather addicted. I've finished the main quest and quite a handful of side quests and now I've turned to the modding community for more content. Since I have technically beat the game, I'm using these missions as an opportunity to mess around with really OP modded in weapons and the like. I initially played New Vegas to get myself in the mood for Fallout 4 but now I feel I could run the risk of burning myself out before it releases.

I don't think I ever quite finished the main quest in New Vegas. I often struggle to get around to the main quests in these kinds of games, I think they often seem to be weaker than a lot of the other content and I do tend to get distracted with other things. I did play it for quite a lot of hours (I probably don't want to know exactly how many) and I think I had three different characters.

It'll be interesting to see what Fallout 4 is like, especially if the combat is going to be a bit less RPG and a bit more action game style. I don't know if it'll actually be hugely different in the end, I didn't really mind the old system anyway (New Vegas was pretty good for snipers, well maybe they could be too good really but in a fun way).

I think that's the case with all of the Bethesda made Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. I'm also interested to see how they've changed the combat in Fallout 4. As it stands in New Vegas, shooting without Vats is very difficult and I end up missing most of my shots so hopefully this changes with 4. Not sure I like how VATs only slows down combat now instead of stopping it but I guess I'll see how it ends up playing. Roll on November 10th!

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition - So I told myself I wouldn't start this until I finished some of my huge backlog, but I couldn't help myself as I was super curious how it would play with a controller so not only did I start it, I started it again.......4 times lol I would create my 2 characters (yeah, you create 2), start the game and decide I wasn't happy with my choice in classes/starting skills/stat distribution and such. In the end I have settled for a Ranger and a Wizard and using the Knight and Wizard (he's a healer so needed him) companions to fill out my party. Anyway the games really fun, love how there's no set way to do things, for example I was trying to get inside a house, so was searching for the key and after a while just thought "screw it" and blew the door down with fireballs lol it's really surprising to me how well it works with a controller too. Probably going to stop playing now and start it properly when I have the time.

Playing Final Fantasy 7. I'm already nearing the end and i guess it has been a positive experience. It has it's annoyances but for the most part the FF7 has aged pretty well.

I have to say though that
Aeris death is one of the most overrated characters ever. He barely has an presence after the first five hour's so i didn't find myself caring when she kicked the bucket. Maybe if i had been playing the game when it first came out and had been using her i probably could have she'd a tear because of losing all the limit break training.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (PlayStation 3)
Spent 42 hours trying to complete the main original campaigns.

Just beat the final one. He can knock you out with a couple hits so I was lucky enough to keep attacking him until he's dead.

For time constraints I'm not going to bother with the other missions and for spoiler reasons I'm not going to bother with the History Missions since they cover a lot of the Gundam shows (most notably the final boss).

So after the joy of having played through Halo 1 - 3 in the Master Chief Collection, I've had the "pleasure" of playing through part of Halo 4.

I like how there's more of an emphasis on Cortana and Chief this time around, but plot wise I just don't care about what's going on. The story is dull and uninteresting, (pretty sure it hasn't even answered the question as to why I'm fighting the covenant again) as are the new characters who aren't memorable in the slightest. The level design is linear and boring, missions are mainly reduced to "Do x three times then go here to progress", the gun selection is small, and my biggest problem is the new enemies.

I don't even care to know what they're called so I'll call them the robot things. They're the most frustrating enemies in a "Halo" game. There's a drone thing which is pretty much a more annoying sentinal which can also shield enemies, there's annoying dog things which are faster and more aggressive than the flood, and worst of all are the Knights - Bullet sponges that spam grenades, constantly teleport around/hide and kill you extremely quickly. In fact scratch that, every enemy in this game is a bullet sponge and that's one of the worst things about it.

Needless to say I am not having fun with this game, and it completely lacks any and all charm which the Bungie created games had. Heck, even the covenant enemies have been reduced to speaking garbled alien crap. I'm pretty much only sticking with this game because I have Halo 5 to play through. 3 more missions to go... :evil:

Steins;Gate (Visual Novel - PlayStation 3)
I've continued my progress from where I left off and have reached to the end of Chapter 6.

I'll have more thoughts on the game in general at a later point.

But here's my thoughts on the first possible ending - Suzuha:
Let's cycle forever and ever!

*after multiple loops*

"Suzuha is still gazing at Big Sight."
"My eyes roam her body."
"Those tight legs."
"That slender body."
"Her clothes accentuate all her fine curves."
"Her breasts are surprisingly large."
"Something stirs in my heart."
"Hot and heavy, like thick lava."
"It whispers to me words like poison."
"What if..."
"What if I lure her into a dark corner and have my way with her? What then?"
"Getting her alone would be simple enough."
"All I have to do is offer information on her father and she'll follow me anywhere."

OKABE GONE MAD!

*seconds later*

"You can rape her, and then undo it with the Time Leap Machine."
"And hey, while you're at it, why not taste the same girl's virginity over and over again?"

Mother of God..

No seriously this is pretty dark, it actually felt like a horror game for a moment there. Good thing this wasn't the true ending if you what I mean.

In the end Suzuha got Okabe back to normal and they went travelling together. HAPPY END.

To Chapter 7!

UPDATE: 1 DAY LATER

My thoughts on the second possible ending - Faris:
This one also feels like a horror. It's funny how this is literally the worst case scenario of a Bad End.

No one but Faris knows who Okabe is... oh dear. But on the plus side no one dies...

"Ahh, here's where I lose my virginity. Farewell, virginity. I would have preferred to give it away, rather than have it taken by force... but oh well."

LOL

To Chapter 8!

Been playing Starcraft 2 - Legacy of the Void, I'm one of those weirdos who's very much in it for the story, even though it's just stupid in pretty much every way lol not far in but I'm enjoying playing Starcraft again.

Also En Taro Zeratul, :( can't believe they did the dirty on me like that, and that early too.

I took Friday off due to other things going on.

Here's my thoughts on the third possible ending - Lukako:
While it's understandable why Okabe decided to not turn Luka back to a guy, it's pretty heartbreaking to see Mayuri just collapse like that. Okabe just stood there doing nothing, since there was no way to save her, and Daru has no idea what's going on other than be really upset since she's dead.

These 'pick your girl' endings are really god-damn depressing you know that?

Also, I like the fact that we can actually see what happens when Okabe doesn't use the machine and lets someone else use it.
To Chapter 9!

Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth - It's here! Edmund and his team have done a stellar job with this, and the ARG that's been going on the past week has been nothing short of genius. It's been solved too, and it has been amazing seeing the fan reaction to it. I wish more people would play it. The new combos, abilities, items etc are so well placed and are amazing to play around with. Highly recommend it, if you love this sort of game it's a must have honestly.

Bravely Default - Been working on this, onto chapter 3 now and really enjoying it. The Brave and Default system is pretty interesting and adds a nice level of planning to the style of gameplay. Story wise it's pretty nice, but i'm waiting for the inevitable twist somewhere down the line. It has to happen, it's just when will it happen. Will be looking forward discovering more. Music is really good too, though i want more battle music variations!

Finished Chapter 9.

I completely forgot that had happened. Good thing it's been a couple years since I saw the anime.

Back