What Games Are You Playing?

I'd say I'm finding the game a bit more fun as a stealth playground rather than playing for the "challenge", so I might end up feeling the same way as you. I guess it depends if the extra abilities of the enemies make it more fun to figure out ways to deal with them or just end up forcing me to play a particular way (sounds like it might be the latter, which would be a shame).

I guess maybe part of the problem is that it might depend on what gear you've developed, with tranquiliser guns seemingly becoming less and less useful (despite being somewhat expensive, especially for the sniper versions). I noticed that guards seem to have recently been equipped with gas masks in my game, which is interesting because I haven't even been able to develop a gas weapon yet (unless there's a lethal one I didn't notice) so I wonder if I'll ever get much use out of those.

I suppose it might be easier to just play more lethally but I quite like the non-lethal approach, killing people feels kind of like a failure. If I like the game enough (and could find time) then I could well do a more lethal playthrough but I generally like to play non-lethal first if it's an option. Also, going lethal second means I can take revenge on all the people that made it difficult during my non-lethal playthrough.

Steam World Dig

Played through this in the last few days on my PS4, really good fun, only lasted baout 5 hours but it's a unique combination of gameplay. Nice visuals, digging tunnels and pathways for yourself made you think about where and how to dig etc....plus the gameworld and what you can read in to the background of the world was great.

Finished 'Remember Me' yesterday. Really enjoyed the world and the story but the gameplay was average and the memory editing was just too laborious. A couple of sections were also frustrating.

It's definitely worth a playthrough though if you got it on PS plus.

So I started playing Rock Band 2 and discovered I absolutely suck at it and I'm not sure why. Up until now, I've been playing a PC game called Phase Shift, which is pretty much an RB clone. Someone ported all the songs from the RB games so I've been playing the same charts as the Rock Band games just on PC instead. So, when I started playing Rock Band 2 today I was quite shocked to see that I can barely play it. Here is a comparison of me playing Rock Band vs Phase Shift.

This is actually putting me off buying RB4 because I don't want to buy it if I can barely even play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it could be a number of things but there's probably some slight difference in the timings the games expect. It looks like Rock Band is counting you as being late, so maybe you want to try and hit the control just before you normally would (so it'd be before the note reaches the line, I guess).

I haven't played any of these games for a while but I vaguely remember there being a setting for something like "controller lag" in one that I played and that could be the issue. If Rock Band is delaying the response to your inputs more than the other game then it'd act as though you're playing late when you're really just playing as you're used to.

Whatever the issue, you'll probably find that if you keep at it you'll naturally get used to the new timings and it'll become second nature again. I remember having a similar problem with a Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors game once, where the controls seem the same but the slight differences throw you off.

Yeah, I'm playing through the Rock Band tutorial to get a sense of the timing and while in Phase Shift you can get away with hitting the notes early, in Rock Band you can't, but you can hit them slightly late. I think the window is a little different and a little tighter. It's going to take some time readjusting.

Finally got around to playing the Disgaea 5 demo, been a long time since I've played Disgaea on a big screen rather than a handheld and honestly not sure how I feel about it but I'll most likely buy day 1 anyway.

Yakuza 4 (PlayStation 3)
I spent two weekends spending hours on this game, and it's a blast.

It took me 35 hours and 41 minutes to progress through the game only because I decided to go through the game on Hard Mode (I wanted to see how tough it was, and it's doable but Saejima's playthrough will make people rage especially with Part 2 Chapter 1) and with that I did 62 of 63 sidestories to help me level up and get better abilities for the main storyline. In the end only 20% of the game was completed, there's a lot of stuff in Yakuza.

I thought by doing Hard mode without changing difficulties I would get the Indomitable trophy, then I realised it's only for Normal mode. Oh well at least I unlocked Extra Hard mode. What I'm currently trying to do now is beat Amon, the last sub-story which I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TACKLE ON HARD MODE. I made that mistake and screwed myself over. I'll be beating him on Normal Mode instead.

As for the story, it's amazing how everything ties together as you play each character. I couldn't count how many plot twists there were in this game because so much is happening at once. In the end they managed to conclude the story which is great. Akiyama is a great character and I loved his ending haha. I can see why they kept him for Yakuza of the Dead (Dead Souls), Yakuza 5, a version of himself in Yakuza Restoration (Ishin) and the upcoming Yakuza 6.

I don't have Dead Souls yet but I'll get it at some point, I do want to pickup the Japanese versions of 1&2 HD Edition and Yakuza Rises (Kenzan) before jumping into the PS4 era.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skylanders: Trap Team

The Skylanders games are a definite guilty pleasure of mine. Having played Swap Force to around 75% completion around this time last year, I am now on the 6th of 18 chapters in trap team. Fun Combat and the addition of tower defense mode just adds to the things to do.

Only played through using the same base skylander so far but may pick up one or two more.

Winkuru said:
Corpse Party:Book Of Shadows

It's funny that i hated the gameplay in the first game but i'm already missing the first games format.

I hope you enjoy Book of Shadows, I had a blast when I was playing the Japanese version. I'm looking forward to Blood Drive this month

Played Trine and Trine 2 with the Bro and OH. Enjoyable but nowhere near long enough! Looking forward to the 3rd.

Been playing the DLC stuff from Borderlands with the Bro.

Rena Ryuugu said:
Winkuru said:
Corpse Party:Book Of Shadows

It's funny that i hated the gameplay in the first game but i'm already missing the first games format.

I hope you enjoy Book of Shadows, I had a blast when I was playing the Japanese version. I'm looking forward to Blood Drive this month

Well sadly i didn't like it and i'm worried that Blood Drive is going to be a disappointment too.

The reason why i didn't like BOS was that the stories that it told just weren't good. The first two chapters were okay but the rest were awful and pointless (especially chapter 6)

Of course many say to BOS defense that it gave side characters more development but i say that it wasn't good development. I much rather ignore everything from BOS if Blood Drives just let's me. (though because Blood Drive continues the story from Chapter 10 i at least have to swallow event's of that chapter)

And when it comes to gameplay i say BOS was even worse than the first game. At chapter 5 i even gave up trying to go on without the guide because the game started to expect you to search every hallway section to find the the thing that let's you move on.

Should have just been a pure visual novel.

Got Rock Band 4 today and I've been playing it a bit. I really like it. Nothing has really been changed or innovated or anything, they just took everything from previous games and refined it to make the best Rock Band game so far. In theory anyway. Rock Band 4 is weird in that it lacks a lot of features that previous games had. Nothing deal breaking but stuff like Multiplayer and a Practise mode are missing and I also really miss the Challenge section. They have added in some stuff I really like like how it counts you in, even half way through a song, and how it saves your preferences on your profile like Breakneck Speed rather than have to activate it every time you launch the game. I haven't played all the songs yet (Obviously) but the ones I have played a really fun even if I don't recognise most of them. My first port of call in this game was to play all the Impossible difficulty songs on Guitar and, to be honest, I find them easy as hell. I don't know if it's just a sign I need to move off of Hard and onto Expert but my lowest notes hit percentage was 97% (Halls of Valhalla) with me getting 99% on the majority of them. Still, a lot of fun. One thing I will say is the Freestyle Guitar solos aren't my thing. Nailing the solos in famous songs is the most satisfying part of Rock Band so taking that out seems backwards to me. Something else to mention is the Song store is currently completely broken on launch. Not Harmonix's fault, completely on SCEE. Barely any of the DLC has been changed over to RB4 on the store and as such, when you access like 90% of songs through the in game store, it just opens up the PSN store with a Content Not Found message. This is absolutely fine on the US Store so I assume it's down to Sony Europe. I hope they fix it, I spend a fair amount on DLC yesterday and I can't download any of it.

Super Meat Boy

Been waiting to play this for ages via my PS4, managed to finish the "light" campaign, including the ridiculously hard Cotton Alley. Don't believe I have the required skill and or/patience to complete the Dark version, but man, this is an excellently addictive game.

FEBTXnq.jpg

And now I await DLC.

I think try will be the correct word haha. I am pretty terrible at Expert. I did manage to FC Friday I'm In Love on Expert but that's about all I can muster. Even songs on the two lowest difficulty tiers I struggle with on Expert. I need a lot of practise at it. Also, I absolutely love Foreplay/Long TIme. Can't say anything about drums but the Foreplay section and the first solo are incredibly fun on Guitar.

Back