What Games Are You Playing?

\o

So Dimensions has a good training mode too? Never played that one, and don't think I could go back to those plastic doll character designs after becoming accustomed to the outrageously sexy new character models. Dayum.

Every fighter should have an in-depth tutorial that teaches players how to play properly. Even games on the more accessible end of the spectrum, like DoA, can be intimidating to newcomers, and I just don't understand why developers aren't doing more to accommodate those players. I know that I'm more motivated when I feel as though my practice time is being well spent, and the best way to start learning how to ensure your practice time is being well spent is through interactive tutorials (well, aside from having a personal tutor on hand).

Lego City Undercover.

There's a lot of humour in this, a lot of funky 70s cop show music, and a lego squirrel.

Comparisons with another series are inevitable, but it's nice to play that kind of game without the violence. It seems to be a jack of all trades, but master of none, keeping options open while closing the book on something unique. But there's A LOT of things in this city; almost everything is interactive, adding to that big ol' pile of lego bricks to accumulate, opening up more places to build specific objects. The on-foot chases are like those out of Sleeping Dogs, while the vehicle ramming is straight out of GTA. Ah, the vehicles with their handling feeling like wheels are made of soap - it's twitchy and over sensitive, but you get used to it.

Chase himself is a likable character, as are the over the top character stereotypes. The city is a splicing of American cities, and loses character because of it, finding itself without a unique personality. It's an odd mesh-up, but by no means off putting.

Technically the framerate appears to be okay (certainly not the disaster some reviews made out), but I'm only at chapter 3 so far, so other areas may be affected worse. Graphically it's disappointing to see the bulk of buildings to be typical structures and not lego orientated. Jaggies everywhere and some textures are Dreamcast-era. Also load times - looooooooooooooooooong load times. I'm sure a patch could sort these issues out.

It's fun (and funny), but so far not outstanding.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I've had DoA5 on 360 since December but it wasn't until last week, when I got the Vita version with its fantastic in-depth tutorial mode, that I began to properly understand the critical stun/burst mechanic. Now that I do, it's almost like a different game. Time to stop sucking!

Hitomi is my favourite character. She's simple to use, neither too fast nor too slow, and how goddamn cute? She's like a fluffy puppy <3

I feel the need to be smug at saying, i own this classy item

Firstly, it's fantastic to see so many picking up DOA5 again, i don't feel so alone in my discussions for it now. I also feel like i should try and grab as many people as i can for a gaming night on DOA5. Honestly, i'll try to be gentle on you all ;p

I've always been a Lei Fang player so picking her up in DOA5 was a no brainer. I didn't realise until watching a couple of tournaments just how deadly she was though, her tsubakis are amazing and i love getting off a 12 hit combo with a critical burst in the middle of it all. The only character i tend to use power blows on though is Mila, who i feel is the easiest to connect it with.

Arbalest said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I've had DoA5 on 360 since December but it wasn't until last week, when I got the Vita version with its fantastic in-depth tutorial mode, that I began to properly understand the critical stun/burst mechanic. Now that I do, it's almost like a different game. Time to stop sucking!

Hitomi is my favourite character. She's simple to use, neither too fast nor too slow, and how goddamn cute? She's like a fluffy puppy <3

Firstly, it's fantastic to see so many picking up DOA5 again, i don't feel so alone in my discussions for it now. I also feel like i should try and grab as many people as i can for a gaming night on DOA5. Honestly, i'll try to be gentle on you all ;p

I've always been a Lei Fang player so picking her up in DOA5 was a no brainer. I didn't realise until watching a couple of tournaments just how deadly she was though, her tsubakis are amazing and i love getting off a 12 hit combo with a critical burst in the middle of it all. The only character i tend to use power blows on though is Mila, who i feel is the easiest to connect it with.
I have no idea what I am doing with DOA5, although admittedly this evening it's been fun getting together with 3/4 other people and button mashing together ;)

Arbalest said:
In a store with so many very cool products, that stands out as one of the very coolest.

Don't tell no-one, right, but I kinda sorta want one of these. :oops:

I've seen you playing online on 360 before, I think, but I'm no longer a Gold member (preferring instead to spend my monthly few quid on something that offers actual value, i.e. PS Plus) and thus far I've avoided online through fear of making a tit of myself. I go to pieces when I play fighting games against actual human beings ;_;

I was playing Devil Survivor Overclocked...then I used the "Summon" command and the game locked up on me. A quick look around on Twitter and GAF seems to have shown that other people have encountered the same problem with the EU version. This bug wasn't present in the US version so it baffles me that it somehow got introduced into this version. There's no added languages or anything, just an extra logo at the beginning so I have no idea how this has happened. There's a couple of other bugs around as well, but this one is completely game breaking. :evil:

Ath said:
I was playing Devil Survivor Overclocked...then I used the "Summon" command and the game locked up on me. A quick look around on Twitter and GAF seems to have shown that other people have encountered the same problem with the EU version. This bug wasn't present in the US version so it baffles me that it somehow got introduced into this version. There's no added languages or anything, just an extra logo at the beginning so I have no idea how this has happened. There's a couple of other bugs around as well, but this one is completely game breaking. :evil:

Aye, just read up on this a minute ago. The worst part of it is there will probably never be a patch or recall. Taking worst case scenarios, that is :wink:

Glad mine is still sealed...

First Virtue's Last Reward now this.

I'm starting to think these bugs are part of a master plan to stop Europeans from asking for releases of these obscure games.

Completed Bioshock 1 and 2, which I really loved playing and now making my way through Infinite and Dr Eggman's Mean Bean Machine on the Sega Mega Drive Collection.

Ive recently started playing Bayonetta...which Im blown away by. Got Borderlands and Wolfenstein which I need to get around to starting. Then back to Dead Souls for those last few trophies for Platinum.

The only things I've been playing recently are Pro Skater 4 and Minecraft for the xbox 360. Minecraft was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, split screen is quite enjoyable (and to be fair, for me split screen is the best kind of multilayer experience) obviously it won't be moddable due to being on a console, but that's understandable, my only real gripe is the map sizes are a bit small, but I guess that's more to do with limitations of the hardware or something.

I've held off on getting a 3DS for now since I want to save money and I have a large backlog of games. I've just completed all of my GBA games by finishing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap and I am starting on my DS games. There are a lot of JRPGs but I have started with Etrian Odyssey. I've completed the second floor with characters at level 12.

i was planning on going straight back to tales of graces f after my exams, but I got a hankering for persona 4, so I've been playing that. once i finish it, then i'll go back to TOGf.

FFXIII-2... A Lot of it...
I started playing it again 2/3 days ago after not having played it since something like the 22nd Feb last year and now I'm near the end of the game.
Random pointless Grinding is distracting though...

Defiance (360) -

A MMO that is free-to-play on a console? Yeah, I knew nothing about this and decided to rent it since I was interested enough to check it out, my first thoughts are mixed so far.

Since I rented it on release, I can fully understand some of the online issues i'm having, like disappearing online players and a few gliches, hopefully they can fix this problem in the future, if I end up buying it.

So far, Defiance's quests seem to be very samey, one quest I see popping up a lot, if the "Shut down or switch on various consoles in an area" and the quest is done, I haven't seen any depth to the gameplay atm, I will need to play it more with the time I have with it.

Still there are times why I see online players in the same mission area and we help each other complete an objective, that's one bit of Defiance that I really like, once you complete the mission as well, you get your own experience and loot, so I like that.

It's alright so far, making an MMO on a console is risky but it seems to be a decent game, just hope it gets better.

Back