What Games Are You Playing?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Shirayuri said:
Hotel Dusk on the DS

Played about an hour on the bus so far. Not a fan of the controls, but I like the atmosphere of this game. I like the general feel of this game so far; still waiting for the story to kinda... get introduced? Feels like it'll be good though ^.^

As far as I'm concerned it never does. I found the story kinda dull and the end leaves a massive plot thread a-dangling, which was the only thread I was interested in. I liked the style but not enough happens.

Also one of the last puzzle rooms requires you do the stuff in a very specific order or you die, with no indication of the order it should be done in nor the order having any logical bearing on the outcome.

Aw that's a bitch. I've not had much motivation to pick up since I've got off of that bus to be honest. I only really play this kinda game for the story. I like the sort of 'interactive book' feel - that's why I got into Phoenix Wright so much really. But a book with a bad/empty story is... well yeah, it's not good.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I found the story kinda dull and the end leaves a massive plot thread a-dangling, which was the only thread I was interested in.
Which plot thread was that? I no remember.

I like Hotel Dusk, but prefer the sequel The Last Window as I think it contains fewer long-winded conversations about not much. Certainly if you're looking for explosive narratives and conflict you'll want to look elsewhere; the stories of both games play out in a rather low-key way.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
I found the story kinda dull and the end leaves a massive plot thread a-dangling, which was the only thread I was interested in.
Which plot thread was that? I no remember.

I like Hotel Dusk, but prefer the sequel The Last Window as I think it contains fewer long-winded conversations about not much. Certainly if you're looking for explosive narratives and conflict you'll want to look elsewhere; the stories of both games play out in a rather low-key way.

The one with Kyle's partner, BRadley I think? He gets shot and goes missing but you don't find him at the end, which is what I was expecting. That Mila girl was his daughter I think...I don't remember it much, the whole story kinda underwhelmed me, it felt like nothing happened. I don't want to say it was boring because it wasn't a murder mystery and no one died (though that certainly didn't help, though I don't require death and violence for a good ol' fashioned mystery) but the core plot of the painting (again, I think, bad memory) was too dull for my liking.

The best part for me was reading on gfaqs that someone felt Kyle's smirk looked like he'd just taken a particularly satisfactory dump (which it kinda does).

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally always play Seung Mina, and have done since Soul Calibur 2. If not, I will play Taki and Mitsurugi usually as well, but can play fairly well with a fair few characters. Been a while though.

On topic: Been playing a mix of White Knight Chronicles 2 and Enslaved the past few days. Both good games, but only really started on them.

The only good thing about Soul Calibur has always been the guest characters.

Finished the last good Final Fantasy game the other day, onto Grandia now.

Lupus said:
The only good thing about Soul Calibur has always been the guest characters.

Finished the last good Final Fantasy game the other day, onto Grandia now.
I'm intrigued in what you classify as the last good FF game

I've been playing the hell out of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Which is why I've not been around the forums much. The game's superb, wonderful atmosphere and a fair few moments that shocked me. Good modding community as well. Now I have a new PC and Call of Pripyat... and Fallout 3... apocaliptaphile?

Have been trying to avoid playing Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress as well, and mostly succeeding.

Also, Project Zomboid is shaping up to be a nice little indie game.

Replaying Arkham Asylum at the mo in anticipation of City. Gotta say, playing it so soon after the highly derivative Captain America game was probably a mistake. Not least because I actually am finding the combat less fun than it was in Cap (probably due to the lack of shield combat, batarangs just don't cut it anymore) but the stealth sections in BAA were always my favourite parts anyway.

The only criticism I have about the Hotel Dusk/Last Window: The Secret of Cape West games are the odd puzzles that give no indication just how to do them - rescuing two people from dying by using the DS inventively is all well and good but I spent more than a few minutes trying dozens of methods dozens in order to do it. A little foreshadowing might have been nice.

The Ballad of Gay Tony, really liking the link between Luis and the main story and the clubbing scene that he's associated with. I guess this marks the first game were you play as an European, Jew and Hispanic.

Could you imaging if the protagonist you play is GTA as a women, defiantly make for some interesting development. Botox and bust enhancement on your days off

Genkina Hito said:
The only criticism I have about the Hotel Dusk/Last Window: The Secret of Cape West games are the odd puzzles that give no indication just how to do them - rescuing two people from dying by using the DS inventively is all well and good but I spent more than a few minutes trying dozens of methods dozens in order to do it. A little foreshadowing might have been nice.

Mmm I find Kojima logic like that pretty frustrating. I'd echo the immortal words of egoraptor "yeah that's really cool and all, but seriously, what the hell?"

Shogun 2 total war, playing as the ODA clan got too powerful too quickly, tried taking on the Shogun to early, and the once mighty Oda clan crumbled.

Sam and Max; Episode 1 The Penal Zone 8/10
Used to love playing the Sam and Max games on PC in the 90’s. It was like most games of its time (created by the same people who brought the world monkey island apparently) Monkey island, Indiana jones where similar point and click adventure/puzzle games. The Penal Zone is a good way to start off the 3rd main instalment of the Sam and Max title. Likeable characters, good puzzles although at times there are some parts that leave you completely stumped, there’s no logical way how one thing leads you to talk to X character from 2 hours ago, its loose links that eventually work, overall I’m pleased with the story and well, it was enough to get me hooked to buy the rest of the series and I NEVER usually buy anything for £9.99 on the Ps Store. So to me, in itself that speaks volumes.

Sam and Max; Episode 2 The Story of Sammun-Mak 6/10
Based in Egypt, its story is even harder to follow. In a odd way it helps you link one character to another through the fact that you can only progress so far on the 4 reels of game before having to change as your capped at certain points until you can get the information or object from another reel to progress in the 1st one, it’s the least favourite of them all so far because the trophies are 5x harder to get as they aren’t really the sort that you can go back and get, some of them you have to have X person in Y area before Z happens, and in the other trophy the same X person has to be in area B which is why C happens. It really complexes matters.

InFAMOUS 9/10
Enjoyed this game a lot, I’d like to take a second to point out that I completed this game inbetween the Sam and Max marathon, I’d already been playing it since the PS store returned and the welcome package was released, I was pacing myself but the story caught me and I was unable to stop playing till the end lol. Trophies aren’t exactly tough, it just takes patience to get them, the storyline itself I spoilt for myself before the end, I worked out who Kessler was and why things happened to trish. In the second game I’d love to have more of Kessler’s powers, they where interesting attacks, even though his 3 “laser” bursts made him tired which is strange when you learn the end storyline. (weird because I’d have thought they wouldn’t make him tired at all) I’ll be sure to pick up the second game, but not now… patience is indeed a virtue, even moreso when you’ve spent £250 this weekend and can’t really find that spare £35 on a single game lol.

Sam and Max; Episode 3 – They Stole Max’s Brain! 8.5/10
I liked this one the best so far, trophies are ridiculously easy but that doesn’t mean the game itself is easy by a long shot. It just takes it even further back than the 1st game when in terms of keeping to the original S&M games. The characters are even more likeable and built upon, I like the whole feel of this game as it takes Sam back to a clichéd P.I very nice to see him being a proper detective/P.I beating the truth out of people and not afraid to shoot lol. The plot twist in this one was very good and leads very nicely onto the 4th episode, the link between episode 1 and 2 was much better than this one but this doesn’t spoil it too much.

Sam and Max; Episode 4; Beyond the Alley Of The Dolls. 8/10
Gah now this ones the similar loose links of the first episode, at one stage it literally screws your chances of getting a trophy, 4 dials and each dial has 3 numbers (1, 2, 3) you have to guess the correct combination in under 6 tries for the trophy. Annoying but I got there in the end (missed this trophy as its really a game of luck) once you’re past this part the rest of the game is plain sailing. The storyline starts off looking like some sort of zombie game haha ends up looking like some warped evil chuckie doll joke. The bridge between this episode and the final is similar to episode 2 into 3, because you lose Max again. I haven’t played the final yet but I’m not particularly happy about losing my favourite character of the two.

Haven37 said:
Okami

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (On hold)

My PS3 broke, so I'm going back to my PS2 ^_^

Woo FES! Where are you in it? I'm still pathetically early, it's a game I go back to now and then in the background. It's nice to have a looooong gameI can chip away at now and then.

Replaying a bit of Vanquish at the mo. Anyone played it? The second to last boss is SO hard. He's easily the hardest in the game (died 21 times against him, vs 7 for the final boss...)

Replaying Pokemon Platinum, can't wait to get some more spares of the legendaries for Black :)

Also been playing Pokemon Black as well, got so many of harder to get pokemon with awesome DW abilities.

Back