What Games Are You Playing?

Finished FF:IV DS yesterday, had to grind to mid 80s and it was a breeze, Zeromus went down really fast when everyone is hitting 6000-9999 instantly. Never got to see the ending though since a friend called and I went out with him, so I gave the game to my brother to finish off and save for me. I never stole Dark Matter from Zeromus either, but it's only apparently for an optional dungeon on NG+ so whatever.

Gonna start Grandia 2 today then hopefully.

memorium said:
Mars Prison was the best, I played that map almost exclusively on Assault so many times, Venice is another favourite of mine as well. I never really understood Cortez's catchphrase, the most I get out of it is the fact that it sounds corny, the conversation between the two Crows is probably my favourite part of the game though along with Cortez shouting "damnit" so loud that somehow Harry Tipper hears it back in the 60's (Or is that Janitor actually just a REALLY old Harry? I figured it could've gone either way). Strangely enough the bot AI in the TS series is good, really good, team mates actually have a positive impact and it makes me wonder how the hell games in recent years could **** up something like bot AI so badly.

As for TS4, I want it badly, they said they'll make it if there was a big enough demand for it, there's even a petition up online for it as well, I've obviously signed it at it's at something like 19,000 so far, so add the "dark figure" on top of that and I think there's enough fans out there to justify it being made, as long as they don't hold stuff back for DLC or make you buy online passes if you buy the game used, then things should be fine, though I'm not entirely sure how online multiplayer would pan out in this day and age, will it be matchmaking with the parameters for each gametype be fixed to a default like they are in Halo and COD with a custom games mode on the side, or will it be server based allowing the admin full control on parameters? Also, will there be bots or will they ditch them with the assumption that the online multiplayer will be popular enough to keep the game afloat for a few years (which would probably demand DLC)? That and whether they'll adopt the Halo "two weps and recharging health" system that is commonplace or stay old school are the only things that bug me about a potential sequel, mapmaking, would be cool, but I'll doubt that any major publisher would want it in a game in this day and age.

I doubt they'd adopt new FPS style, I'm sure they're aware how large a gap in the market there is for classic FPS games, plus TS3 was post Halo and stayed with classic pickup and aim styles. I don't object to 2 wep styles in games as long as it fits ok, like modern-set shooters or more realistic ones. TS has always been about silly fun so two weapons would make no sense.

Why would they not allow mapmaking? Halo had forge and it was ridiculously popular. Bots are a MUST though. It increases my odds of buying an FPS 1000-fold. I don't play online and I obviously can't invite friends round all the time, so bots are a big bonus.

As for Cortez' catchphrase, there's nothing to get, it's just a play on words "it's TIME to SPLIT" like Timesplitters. The main joke is that it's terrible and no one but Cortez thinks it's any good. I agree about the Crow conversation too XD and the first one they have "Grandpa?" "NO you fool! It's me!" "Grandpa!"

Venice isn't a favourite of mine but they're all great. I love Siberia though. Just a fantastic map, great for sniping too.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I doubt they'd adopt new FPS style, I'm sure they're aware how large a gap in the market there is for classic FPS games, plus TS3 was post Halo and stayed with classic pickup and aim styles. I don't object to 2 wep styles in games as long as it fits ok, like modern-set shooters or more realistic ones. TS has always been about silly fun so two weapons would make no sense.

Why would they not allow mapmaking? Halo had forge and it was ridiculously popular. Bots are a MUST though. It increases my odds of buying an FPS 1000-fold. I don't play online and I obviously can't invite friends round all the time, so bots are a big bonus.

As for Cortez' catchphrase, there's nothing to get, it's just a play on words "it's TIME to SPLIT" like Timesplitters. The main joke is that it's terrible and no one but Cortez thinks it's any good. I agree about the Crow conversation too XD and the first one they have "Grandpa?" "NO you fool! It's me!" "Grandpa!"

Venice isn't a favourite of mine but they're all great. I love Siberia though. Just a fantastic map, great for sniping too.
I said that the major publishers out there like EA would probably not want mapmaking, more custom **** means less DLC they can pump out, or cheaper DLC, that's the alleged reason why Dice won't have mod tools for Battlefield 3 (they were probably pressured into doing it by EA), I was concerned about the "regen health 2 weps" style because DNF adopted it, and that was meant to be old school in my opinion along with, a few years back, Resistance 2, despite the first game being a "**** you I can carry all this ****!" kind of endeavor, I have faith in Free Radical (or Crytek UK as they're known now I think), but I just have a bad feeling that the publisher might come in and **** **** up.

I've just remembered another good map, Mexican Mission, Training Ground was pretty neat too.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Having fun with it so far...the battling is less complicated than I expected, and the music is super-catchy. Well worth playing.

Also finishing up Ultimate Ninja Storm 2.

memorium said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

I said that the major publishers out there like EA would probably not want mapmaking, more custom **** means less DLC they can pump out, or cheaper DLC, that's the alleged reason why Dice won't have mod tools for Battlefield 3 (they were probably pressured into doing it by EA), I was concerned about the "regen health 2 weps" style because DNF adopted it, and that was meant to be old school in my opinion along with, a few years back, Resistance 2, despite the first game being a "**** you I can carry all this ****!" kind of endeavor, I have faith in Free Radical (or Crytek UK as they're known now I think), but I just have a bad feeling that the publisher might come in and **** **** up.

I've just remembered another good map, Mexican Mission, Training Ground was pretty neat too.

Ah, yeah I see what you mean, but EA published TS3, so I'd say they have a good chance...

Yeah MM and TG are both classics. I hope chicago is brought back, if only for the music :p Also did you ever play the anaconda minigame in TS2? Catchiest tune ever.

Timesplitters 2 and 3 are underappreciated. As Sparrowsabre7 has said, the Chicago level was so damn good. That music, that narration, that soft hued (purple-esk? It's been a while since I played it) look to the graphics, the way that Big Tony (name?) has the word 'bitch' censored from him by a clanging sound... all of it was drenched in brilliant atmosphere.

Been continuing with Xenoblade Chronicles. Now 15 hours in and still only at Gaur Plain. I think the game has hit its peak here, since I won't believe that any of the other areas coming up will be as breathtaking in their scale, artistic visuals and music.

Max Takeshi said:
Timesplitters 2 and 3 are underappreciated. As Sparrowsabre7 has said, the Chicago level was so damn good. That music, that narration, that soft hued (purple-esk? It's been a while since I played it) look to the graphics, the way that Big Tony (name?) has the word 'bitch' censored from him by a clanging sound... all of it was drenched in brilliant atmosphere.

Been continuing with Xenoblade Chronicles. Now 15 hours in and still only at Gaur Plain. I think the game has hit its peak here, since I won't believe that any of the other areas coming up will be as breathtaking in their scale, artistic visuals and music.

Actually I meant the multiplayer level :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsIDtDJv ... re=related

But it's all very cool. I feel while TS3 suffered from less variation in time periods (WWI, 60's, 90's, Near future, far future as opposed to cyberpunk tokyo, 50's sci fi, wild west, amazonian jungle etc.), it made up for it with a more rounded story and humour.

@memorium I too have an mp3 of Anaconda :p

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Max Takeshi said:

Actually I meant the multiplayer level :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsIDtDJv ... re=related

But it's all very cool. I feel while TS3 suffered from less variation in time periods (WWI, 60's, 90's, Near future, far future as opposed to cyberpunk tokyo, 50's sci fi, wild west, amazonian jungle etc.), it made up for it with a more rounded story and humour.

@memorium I too have an mp3 of Anaconda :p
The story and the humour definitely made up for the lack of variety in my opinion, overall I think that this game was more about the quality of the sets, rather than quantity, to be fair I couldn't bear another Neo Tokyo-like level, it gave me so much grief trying to play it co-op, but I guess I should be glad they nerfed the zombies and didn't have a TS1 style mansion in it's place, the hours spent trying to do that on hard... The Plutonia Experiment has nothing on that on level.

Recently dl'd and played demos for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and Red Faction Guerilla.

Both really good, exceeded my expectations. Space Marine was very Gears-y of course, but there's no cover and it has a much more arcade-style feel, it's about the quantity rather than quality of enemies that presents the challenge. There's also a greater focus on melee combat, with the chainsword and power axe being the two melee weapons given in the demo.

They also give you a meaty sniper rifle and one of those remote mine guns that are all the rage these days (though it doesn't tell you that RB is the detonate button for them).

RFG was a lot of fun the destruction engine is a thing of beauty, but I was annoyed I couldn't attack the level more stealthily. I wanted to plant charges and blow up a chem plant as a distraction as I snuck round the back in a civilian miner vehicle to steal the walker, but as soon as the charges went boom everyone was on me, despite having kept out of sight...

Max Takeshi said:
Xenoblade is the best JRPG I've played this generation - and in terms of scale, I don't think there's anything quite like it. Gaur Plain is a highlight but fear not: there are more jaw-droppingly beautiful and vast expanses to come.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Xenoblade is the best JRPG I've played this generation - and in terms of scale, I don't think there's anything quite like it. Gaur Plain is a highlight but fear not: there are more jaw-droppingly beautiful and vast expanses to come.

Agreed, really loving the sheer spectacle of the entire thing. Don't know how many times I quick travelled back to Ragrina Canyon Path just to step out into the plain again to see the sights as the music kicks in. Even if Gaur Plain IS the best highlight I won't mind, since it is one hell of a moment.

At about 20 hours now and it's off to find JuJu (second time, location known, but I didn't approach him). Didn't realise that there was another entire section to Gaur Plains past the lake. Amazing.

Just wish I could nobble that giant turtle walking around under Sky Stage.

Finished it a week ago, but when i get back to the flat i've been playing Bastion on Xbox Live Acrade and my god, was this damned good. I seriously recommend anyone with XBL goes out and gets this. You could get it on steam if you don't have a 360 mind you as well, i think it still has controller support. Soundtrack is fantastic, gameplay is solid, but the way the story is told is what sells this to me. I'm never sure on how i can explain it, so i'll fire this first part of gameplay here instead(don't worry, it's the start of the game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FuG0H3x2k

Since then, when i'm at home, i'm working through Deus Ex: Human Revolution which so far, has been superb. Though cause of my glitchy ethernet plugs i can't get online with it, so i'm probably missing a patch or something, i keep crashing at where i am presently.

Also occasionally playing Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, which is worth it all for Rebeccas alt costume. Yup. not really had much time to get any other gaming done, but i play a few other indie titles usually as well as some of my other ones on the 3DS and PS3 if time actually frees up for me.

Finished Grandia 2, game has some good ideas but rushes them or uses them poorly which is a shame, still worth the playthrough, voice acting and music were good too.

Started FF:VII the other day, game is shorter than I remember, only 20 hours in and half way through disc 2, the pacing for this game is all over the place. Still a good game though, best part of the game is when Sapphire Weapon attacks Junon.

Aside from that I've got back to Gears of War 2 whenever I need to charge my iPod, need to de-rust in preporation for Gears 3. Gonna buy Xenoblade too sometime, should I buy now or wait for price drop?

Playing a lot of games recently:
PS3 - Dues EX Human Revolution, and The Hunted - The Demon Forge.
Xbox 360 - Space Marine
And 2/3 games on Facebook.

Time well spent?

Back