What Games Are You Playing?

Fullmetal Shorty said:
Is Dragons Quest any good?

I take it you mean Cursed King for the PS2? Short answer: oh YES!

I'm no fan of Toriyama's artwork at all, yet the characters in this game are absolutely gorgeous - the style of the graphics marries with Toriyama's models perfectly.

It's extremely old skool, some grinding to do in places, but there's lots of little distractions and some mini-games. There's plenty of hidden chests and monsters strewn across the landscape too.

There is a system to combine items to create new ones, but each character has a limited amount of equipment (especially weapons) open to them. That said, rustling up a brand new item for your favourite character is still a great feeling.

One other minor niggle - SEDC (same enemy different colour) syndrome, this game has quite a bad case of it. Again, it doesn't detract from the game since the different versions have different abilities and the monster designs are worth repeating.

I bought this a couple of weeks after it was released on Ebay - got a new promo edition for £14. Gamestation had this in for £25 new last time I looked.

This week I have mostly been eating Samurai Legend Musashi, Runescape (you do it to yourself, you do) and Rumble Roses.

The story mode of Rumble Roses has some toe-curlingly embarassing lines spoken between the characters: the language, slow speed of speech and long pauses makes them all look like eejits. I'm a little concerned that blocking some attacks is more to do with button-mashing than skill - I can block punches OK but throw-moves seem almost impossible to block. There's no warning at all, you're just caught all of a sudden and SPLAT.

Runescape had the player-owned houses update, 2 years in the making? It's a nice addition for those who like to use RS as a chatroom, but it's an obvious money-pit to try and get some of the cash out of the game. Still annoyed by RS, it's no fun anymore :( Need to find an alternative fast. Biosfear would have been a good one, if it was more than half a game, but I think it's all but dead anyway.

Musashi is a fun game, but it's incredibly easy (level grind then murder bosses), painfully linear and insists on loading the home base room-by-room, yet the levels themselves are absolutely huge with no loading for several minutes at a time. Sloppy, gah I hate things like that. It was on sale at Play for £10 but they're sold out now, I think anyone who liked Misadventures of Tron Bonne or Megaman Legends would get a kick out of it.

Gallus Glee said:
The story mode of Rumble Roses has some toe-curlingly embarassing lines spoken between the characters: the language, slow speed of speech and long pauses makes them all look like eejits.

The story mode in Rumble Roses is hilarious! I thought it was the best thing about it! My favourites: The BBD and Sgt. Clemets (LOL to her story) I don't own any other wrestling games as it's all too masculine - although I know Rumbles Roses are marketed towards males. It was for the story I tell you! *cough* :D

Gallus Glee said:
I'm a little concerned that blocking some attacks is more to do with button-mashing than skill - I can block punches OK but throw-moves seem almost impossible to block. There's no warning at all, you're just caught all of a sudden and SPLAT.

I'm currently playing Steambot Chronicles. Got myself a nice outfit and now heading towards the Killer Elephants hideout. :)

It's easy to win over the CPU by spamming the same submission moves. I found it hard with Makoto because she lacks any easy spam moves. That's why The BBD>>>>>>Makoto. :wink:
________
Bmw r75 history

Gallus Glee said:
Runescape had the player-owned houses update, 2 years in the making? It's a nice addition for those who like to use RS as a chatroom, but it's an obvious money-pit to try and get some of the cash out of the game. Still annoyed by RS, it's no fun anymore :( Need to find an alternative fast. Biosfear would have been a good one, if it was more than half a game, but I think it's all but dead anyway.

I used to play that till boredom set in, but yeah. 2 years for what Ive heard is a load of crap with a new skill possibly more pointless than firemaking.

Oh and thanks for the mini review on Dragons Quest.

I'm currently having a lot of of with Metroid Prime Hunters on DS. So hard to control at first, but I got used to it really quickly....thank Nintendo for the thumbstrap. >_<

Ive got Metroid for DS too, I got to the 3rd level and just cant figure out what to do :D So I bought Trauma Centre: Under The Knife... which Im also now stuck on :lol:

Decided to go retro this week, so ive been playing Ghouls and Ghosts (Rock Hard) and Gynoug on the old Mega-Drive

I got Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King about a month ago...and I finally just played it...a mammoth four-hour session. >_<

Ah the problems with having no cash..no new games in a couple months now :( , at least i get payed on thursday so new games soon..erm..so at the moment just revisiting the old days of when i played jet force gemini and Conker's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64

Disco Machine said:
I got Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King about a month ago...and I finally just played it...a mammoth four-hour session. >_<

Kiss goodbye to your free time, it's addictive!

Once I've completed it, I might get Shadow of the Colussus, after watching Mutsumi playing it at the meet (they should pay you royalty's for that sale!)

im playing, atm:
Gulty Gear XX2 slash - Still trying to get past that last ******* boss ><
Rayman 2 - Its not often that i actually enjoy a 3D platformer, so this comes as a pleasent surprise :)
R-types - I ******* love these two games. much better than the sms and snes verisions
Crazy Taxi

Samurai Matt said:
im playing, atm:
Gulty Gear XX2 slash - Still trying to get past that last ******* boss ><

:? How're you playing X2 Slash? Slash and X2 (I have X2 Reload) are the only ones missing from my GG collection (untill the DS and PSP GGs are released :lol: )

oops, imeant guilty gear X2 reload, not slash. Sorry i aint very good at names :lol:

also, do you have the wonderswan guilty gear games?

This week I have mostly been eating Dynasty Warriors 5 (again), Samurai Legend Musashi (again), Runescape (again, but for hopefully the last time since I QUIT the stinking thing YAYY!).

I have secret (and worrying) desires to eat:

Haunting Ground (replay with the leather whip suit thing, easier to hit baddies),
Resident Evil: CV (half-way through another replay, this one isn't aging very well :/),
Rumble Roses (throw your partner round the ring, spin them in the mud) and
Phantom Brave (got bored of this, want to see if I can play it without excessive grinding. If not, it's going to be traded in).

I've ordered Zombie Attack and Michigan: Report From Hell, so hopefully I'll have a new experience for the end of the week.

Gallus Glee said:
Haunting Ground (replay with the leather whip suit thing, easier to hit baddies)

I thought I was practically the only one here who has played Haunting Ground. Her leathers arn't quite as useful as her cowgirl outfit. Danielle is the best character..shame. :D

Gallus Glee said:
Resident Evil: CV (half-way through another replay, this one isn't aging very well :/)

I had this on my Dreamcast and the second disk kept crashing (On Chris' part) so I never got to the ending. The opening was so amazing at the time, but that's the rose tinted glasses speaking for you!

Gallus Glee said:
Rumble Roses (throw your partner round the ring, spin them in the mud)

Miss Spencer x Candy Cane ftw!

Gallus Glee said:
Phantom Brave (got bored of this, want to see if I can play it without excessive grinding. If not, it's going to be traded in).

Haven't played more than 5 mins of this, as it will probably consume me for a whole week and a bit!

Gallus Glee said:
I've ordered Zombie Attack and Michigan: Report From Hell, so hopefully I'll have a new experience for the end of the week.

Tell me how they are! I hear that in Michigan, all the got extras taken out for the PAL version..but at least we got the game.

I should go and play Steambot Chronicles today at some point, I haven't played a game in over 2 days (a world record). :wink:

That I shall Neptune. I've been agonizing over buying both for months :)

Regarding the extras in Michigan, if it's the game I'm thinking about (apparently) some of the extras are still in there, though the.. videos? are gone, something like that. I'll have another look about.

Back