What Games Are You Playing?

I'm still trying to fill my Pokédex up on Pokémon Sapphire...only about 40-something left now. :?

I've got back into Final Fantasy X after being out of it for a while when I managed to lose my memory card...it's back now, so those 23 hours weren't a waste.

I switch to Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour on DS when Sapphire starts to annoy me...I'm also trying to get used to the GBA YGO! Ultimate Masters Edition.

And I played Donkey Konga yesterday just for a laugh.

Dusting off my Dreamcast, I had a quick go at these games:

Beats of Rage - A 'homebrew' game with King of Fighters characters in a remake of Streets of Rage. Surprisingly good with some nice trance/industrial tunes. It makes all the difference! Got to the last level on normal mode before I died.

Radilgy - A cel-shaded shooter that was a released a few months ago on the Dreamcast in Japan. I have no clue what it's about but you control this mecha type ship, there is a shoot and sword attack. You collect up these icons that represent different food - to power up the machine when you defeat the enemies. Reminds me of Castle Shikigami 2 but without the 1337 characters and music. It's decent enough. :D
________
SIMCA ARIANE

Played the FFXII demo - I just hope the real version is an improvement.

Impressions

After the opening trailer complete with movie voice over that cried out Star Wars, you can pick two scenarios.

First Scenario

You play as Vaan, Penelo and Basch on the Pron Coast.
Anyway, you are on this FFX-styled beach with FFVIII styled enemies. The graphics itself is only slighter better than FFX and looks more in common with older Final Fantasy games. The battle system which people rave on about is like pseudo-MMORPG, except offline. I noticed that your team mates follow behind you like .hack, infact it's a lot .hack!
You can switch team leader using the d-pad and the system itself is .hack but with the ATB from FFVII. Magic wise, you get white (healing) black (attack) green (support) and time (status ailments) - the demo is biased - the women have cure spells! :p There is also something called 'Gambit' in the menu. Think of it as the AI. Apparently you can customize it in the full version. I left it switched on as I'm lazy.
No more random battles too! Most people would see this as a good thing, but I like battle music even if I do hear it 1000's of times. It's better than listening dreary dungeon music.

Back on track - the point of this mission is to beat the T-rex (last seen in FFVIII) with Vaan and co. The first thing I did was switch my character to Panelo - after I figured out how to. Panelo uses a bow and arrow so she can hit enemies before anyone else does. After a few more battles I noticed than Vaan's mp bar turned dark blue to red - now he can use an Esper.
You can pick a summon from the Esper menu and like FFX, your fellow comrades run away as the summon appears. An esper only has a certain amount of time on the field and you can't control what attack they do.
I finally got to the T-rex at the top of hill and now the bosses have a big red health bar at the top screen instead of having actual HP stats. After it gets defeated, the demo ends without a hint of story. meh!

Second Scenario

Play as Ashe, Fran and Baltheir in the Stilshrine of Miriam.

w00t! Main heroine Ashe has a sword? Similar to the first scenario except different characters and scenery. I was disappointed with the magic spells, I want big explosions and fancy graphix..it delivered none in true MMORPG style. I really can't see how the battle system is a step forward -I want to play a RPG - not a pseudo-MMORPG that isn't internets!
The mission was to defeat the big boss at the end, I died to see what the game over screen looked like. Not worth the effort.

Thoughts
It's only a demo - but I felt really disappointed with the gameplay aspects. The story looks interesting (from the trailer) although it has none in the demo. I'll probably change my mind once I play the full game. I know the first thing I'll do though when I get FFXII (if possible) change all their names! :wink:

I am currently playing the "sitting on my hands waiting for Half-Life 2 Episode 1" game. The fun packed game of suspense is the most realistic waiting simulation ever devised, with Valve's reknowned pre-loading game mechanic drip-feeding me gigabytes of unplayable content that magically becomes playable on June 1st. I have previously enjoyed similar delights with the smash-hit "sitting on my hands waiting for Sin Episodes Emergence", which will sadly come to an end in the middle of this month.

I also loaded up the Doom 3 expansion, killed zombies for 45 minutes, and left it again.

Play Animal Crossing.

At the moment I'm playing Destroy All Humans and Fahrenheit. Both are good, DAH is more fun but Fahrenheit is more involving. Both are worth picking up cheap.

Completed FFX again to remind myself what the ending was.

Of course I have some complaints! :wink:

Besides taking at least 25 minutes to get to the last battle and that's with one hit kills - Auron took way too much time saying his goodbyes. I wonder if the Fayth fell asleep while waiting for him to churn out crap?
Another flaw is how everyone else is thrown to the background while Tidus takes 5 minues to fade away. I know he's the main character and all, but I only felt sorry for Yuna who obviously doesn't have any taste.
The cheesy speech about dreams left a bad taste in my mouth - would have been a bit better if it was more subtle. The ending song 'Sudeki da ne' is so terribly sung, I remember why I deleted it off my computer.

But besides that, it was an OK ending - can't beat FFVIII though. :D
________
Love Stories Dicussion

Last edited by a moderator:
Back