What Games Are You Playing?

ayase said:
The inventory system of ME1 sucks so much **** I don't know where to begin. "Oh, you've found a load of cool items here - too many, in fact. So you need to destroy some of them before you can pick any up. Now. No, we're not telling you how many you can keep and you can't leave this screen. Choose." Actually, that's a pretty good place to begin. Then there's the fact it's in the form of a massive scrolling list of text, rather than a graphical interface like every other RPG made in the last fifteen years.
Omni gel.

^ The way that's positioned perfectly on my screen to look like a speech bubble from John Cleese in uncanny. So much so that I read it in his voice, in a kind of playfully mocking tone. I suspect that's more or less what you were going for.

lolled hard at the last three posts. :lol:

ME1's inventory system sucks ass, this is pretty much universally accepted, why is someone trying to argue that they didn't **** up badly. Even the people that made the game concede that it wasn't well implemented.

Thanks to the Steam sale, I finally got around to picking up ME2, too. I'm still not looking forward to playing it any more than I was when I first read about the gameplay changes they made, though. Plus I have like twenty other games from this year's sale to play instead. ;_;

/mind wanders back to the other twenty unplayed games from last year's summer sale

ilmaestro said:
/mind wanders back to the other twenty unplayed games from last year's summer sale

Yeah, i'm still pushing my way through The Witcher and a couple of other titles i got through the winter steam sale, ok it's not the same length of time as for you but, it's quite a bit regardless.

In the mean time. Now i'm home, i can play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D finally. I've been waiting for this for ages, now it doesn't disappoint. The 3D is surprisingly more effective than i expected, though i imagine that may ware off a little as i become more accustomed to it.

Also on my to play and play list:

White Knight Chronicles 1 + 2
Persona 3 Portable Female MC playthrough
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
L.A Noire

ilmaestro said:
I'm still not looking forward to playing it any more than I was when I first read about the gameplay changes they made, though.
When you do attempt it, give it time. It took an awful lot of time for me to adjust. It still sometimes feels like fanfiction to me, but whatever, time flies a lot quicker playing this one than the first.

Mostly playing Ninja Gaiden: Sigma 2 at the moment, which I'm finding a lot easier than NGII. Not that I'm complaining, as that (along with the bouncy new characters) is why I bought it.

Also Dragon Quest IX. It's bright and breezy but the lack of plot and simplistic battle system means I don't feel compelled to keep at it for any length of time. Good for a quick half-hour session here and there.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Microsoft have never admitted culpability for that issue, blaming the user for moving the console. There's some videos on Youtube claiming to demonstrate fixes, but as this hasn't happened to me I've never had any need to try them.

If it doesn't work you'll probably have to buy a new game. Zavvi currently have ME2 for £6.85, which works out a bit cheaper than buying a new console. Whatever you end up doing, I strongly recommend installing the game to the hard drive as that reduces the amount of time the disc will be spinning (and by extension the likelihood of damage).

I ended up having to go to gamestation to see if cleaning the disc with their machine things worked and all that did was make me be able to stare at the pretty main menu but i cant even play the game as it crashes when i try to do anything besides look at the main menu. since i wont have money for the next month im gonna have to tough through a month without mass effect :evil: this bloody game needs a warning label saying " after you play this all other games will look like crap" cause going from mass effects story to blazblue's boring a** visual novel "story mode" can be quite jarring :eek:

Back on MHTri, jumped in helping some lower ranked bros with a Gobul. It's mostly full of French and German players now, but they do speak English so it's fine.

Re: ME2. My mind was just blown finding out that Yvonne Strahovski (aka, Sarah Walker from Chuck) is who Miranda was modelled after and voiced by.

She looks better with dark hair though (so as Miranda), although that may be just my personal preference for dak hair over blonde.

On a LOTR high so I've been playing Conquest a lot. It's quality control is WAY lower than either Return of the King or the equivalent Star Wars Battlefront games by the same devs (you can tell they didn't have the same investment in the series as they did with Star Wars) but nonetheless it's a fun time waster and tides me over till I get to play ROTK again (bought the NGC version off ebay recently =D)

Started Atelier Rorona back in late Jan but put it aside for some reason or other. Have now returned and it's a damn time sink.

Spent most time walking around the village and doing the Esty and friend requests. February of year 2 and at 71% for the Esty requests. And about 20% for Sterk's :(

Also Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. Works so well for a portable, and the first Village mission + Hunk = Addiction of the highest order.

Game needed about 6 months more development time, though, since it's rough technically.

Oh, I've also been renting Silent Hill 2. I must confess I'm a little disappointed on a number of fronts =/ I really wanted to like it, I really did but I find myself underwhelmed quite badly.

Firstly, James' voice actor. Absolutely awful...Resident Evil 1 quality without the laughably hammy dialogue to go with it. All the more noticeable in that a good deal of the other voices are at least halfway decent (unlike RE1).

Secondly, the combat is rubbish. Pressure sensitive buttons suck for running too. The lack of an autolock is pretty damaging considering the fixed camera angle and the lack of a 180 turn is pretty jarring too. Survival horror combat should be difficult, but in my opinion it should remove the means not the ability i.e. the combat mechanics should be flawless and make fo easy fighting back if you had the right tools, but you will never be given decent weapons so you're forced to think creatively and adapt attack strategies. For example with a weak plank weapon, weave in and out of monsters, closing for a quick strike before retreating. With the control system in place that's not really possible, not to mention the early monsters all vom on you anyway forcing you to stagger back (often out of range again) the sole saving grace is you can move while readying a weapon.

The puzzle logic is pretty dumb in some points too. Canned drinks to smush down rubbish? WHY NOT GRAB THE DAMN THING I CAN SEE IT RIGHT THERE! And why canned drinks? That's such a random thing to use. It was annoying because I knew I needed to force the thing down and I knew I'd have to pick it up from the trash chute outside, but I figured it'd be some kind of pole to poke it down rather than canned drinks which I thought might be a health item...

However, I do like where the plot is heading, I like the monsters and I like the atmosphere and the town. I'm going to persevere, but since it's a rental I won't be able to take as much time as I would like and will probably need to use a guide if I get stuck too long, but frankly that's ok, because the environments are too large to waste time faffing about backtracking in the hope you missed something.

Overall I confess to being pretty disappointed, of the 2 japanese horror games I've played lately, Project Zero 2 is definitely the superior IMO.

The game was made almost 10 years ago, what do you expect? The crap combat mechanics work within context because James is am average joe (like nearly every other SH protagonist), and the puzzle logic maybe dumb, but at least it gives an idea as to where the hell everything is unlike Alone in The Dark 4

Project Zero 2 was made a good couple of years after Silent Hill 2 too, you have to remember SH2 was very early in the PS2's lifespan, it was part of the second generation of games that really made the PS2 a must have item (as the launch titles were mostly poor, except TimeSplitters which was just lacking content really...).

It's still one of the creepiest games out there.

I do understand its hard to go back to such titles, alot of the time its really hard to realise just how far controls and UI's have come in videogames in recent years.

Back