What Games Are You Playing?

Yeah MS gave up on that pretty damn quickly. Almost makes me respect Nintendo, although they have the luxory of knowing they can re-sell games from way back when rather than having to rely on upscaled/"remade" games from just a generation ago to make their free money.

I'm in two minds about Nitnendo's retro gaming model. On the one hand I'm all like "I already have Super Mario World, on its original cartridge, why should I have to buy it if I want to play it again" and then on the other I'm like "ah, but I can't be bothered to go up in the loft, find the SNES, find the cartridge, set it all up, spend the rest of the day itching thanks to the insulation up there and then find I probably need to change the fuse on the SNES or something." :)

RivaOni said:
I'm in two minds about Nitnendo's retro gaming model. On the one hand I'm all like "I already have Super Mario World, on its original cartridge, why should I have to buy it if I want to play it again" and then on the other I'm like "ah, but I can't be bothered to go up in the loft, find the SNES, find the cartridge, set it all up, spend the rest of the day itching thanks to the insulation up there and then find I probably need to change the fuse on the SNES or something." :)

I think it depends on what's been done and how different it is. For Ocarina and Mario 64, the big plus is portability. For the Pokemon remakes it's a tech upgrade (who wants to go back to playing on a non-backlit screen after the DS? (some of us don't have an SP)).

I think they're only gonna start running into problems if they try and port old console games to a new console. It'll still work but I doubt it'll be as successful as portable ports.

Oh yeah, I don't mind those, the game I've sunk the (second) most hours into this year is the PSP release of FFIV, admittedly I didn't buy it as its a promo copy, and its theres only FFIV and V I actually didn't own prior to being sent IV, but I probably would have bought it if I saw it cheap enough.

And the Virtual Console stuff is reasonably priced, but once again, Nintendo have either missed a trick or done it on purpose by not linking your VC purchases to an account, but instead to a console, meaning you can't carry them over...

I actually think MS backwards compat is ok. Better some than none like new PS3s. I've got a handful of Old xbox games that work on it, Jedi Academy, Republic Commando, Halo 2, will soon be getting Project Zero 2. Though yes, it could stand to be improved.

On the other hand keeping a PSTwo around to play older games on is not much of a problem. Keeping an original Xbox lying around would be EFFORT.

ilmaestro said:
On the other hand keeping a PSTwo around to play older games on is not much of a problem. Keeping an original Xbox lying around would be EFFORT.

I use my PS2 Rather than my PS3 60GB backward compatible because i feel it plays the games much better than the ps3 does!

As for games i'm playing atm,would be Assassin's Creed series (which I'm loving!), Deathsmiles, Dragon Age and Sonic Colours and Dragonball Z BT 2

ilmaestro said:

That is very true. I have a slimline nestled in my top drawer above my NGC. Wouldn't manage that with an XBox.

Finished ME1 earlier, after about six months. Didn't even do many of the sidequests and clocked up about twenty hours. Begun ME2 straight after and my initial impressions are iffy thus far. Hopefully doesn't take me as long to complete this one and I'll probably dig into it a bit more tomorrow.

The backwards compatability thing. I keep all my consoles.

Currently I have my Wii, PS2 and Dreamcast set up to the TV in the lounge, whilst the 360 is hooked upto a second VGA monitor on my desk (also in the lounge). I then have an original XBox in the bedroom which is just collecting dust as I think the SCART cable for it has packed in, as well as a second PS2 (both mine are the chunky monkey models). I also have my Gamecube, Saturn and Dreamcast stored away under the stairs. Whilst all of my cartridge based home consoles (SNES, Mega Drive, N64) are all in the loft with my original PlayStation.

So realy, backwards compatability isn't really an issue for me, but it would be more convenient to just run from one system, which is why I have my Wii modded with SNES, N64 and Mega Drive emulators on it.

Maxon said:
Warmaster said:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

Still in my mind, even 12 years on, simply the best game that has ever been made. The remake here has (much to my surprise) even updated the graphics slightly (Mostly retexturing and a few more polygons on main characters) but Nintendo didn't break what certainly didn't need fixing. Still stunning.

Up to forest temple at present, and hoping to get the game done quickish so I can have a proper go at the Master Quest (Had the GC wind waker bonus disk version but never got around to it)
From the videos I've seen the frame rate has been greatly improved. Can't wait to get my copy.

On that note, currently playing Link's Awakening DX on my 3DS. It's my first pre-OoT Zelda but it's still good fun.

I played Links Awakening around 1999-2000. It was great fun, and if anything it was harder than OOT. Still great fun mind.

RivaOni said:
The backwards compatability thing. I keep all my consoles.

Currently I have my Wii, PS2 and Dreamcast set up to the TV in the lounge, whilst the 360 is hooked upto a second VGA monitor on my desk (also in the lounge). I then have an original XBox in the bedroom which is just collecting dust as I think the SCART cable for it has packed in, as well as a second PS2 (both mine are the chunky monkey models). I also have my Gamecube, Saturn and Dreamcast stored away under the stairs. Whilst all of my cartridge based home consoles (SNES, Mega Drive, N64) are all in the loft with my original PlayStation.

So realy, backwards compatability isn't really an issue for me, but it would be more convenient to just run from one system, which is why I have my Wii modded with SNES, N64 and Mega Drive emulators on it.

No I suppose it wouldn't be an issue if you have a seemingly infinite number of monitors and tvs =P I just have one tv in my room and it's impractical to hook up more than one thing to it, much less leave all my consoles out on the floor in front of it.

Oh aye, benefits of not living with your folks really, but then I have to share the TV with my fiance and our daughter so the Wii/Dreamcast/PS2 don't get all that much attention :)

ilmaestro said:
Currently playing "watch my 3DS charge up". ^^;

/doesn't like playing with new toys until they are fully charged

I smell a super villain in the making :p "IN A MERE 10 MINUTES MY DEATH RAY WILL BE AT MAXIMUM CAPACITY!! (ooh the suspense)"

Though I'm the same. Plus the instructions tell you to normally as well. SINCE THEY HAVE WRITTEN IT, IT MUST BE CANON!

Back