What Games Are You Playing?

Becoming near suicidal with Super Meat Boy.

Most annoying of all was coming across a glitch in Glitch World 2 (And no, I don't think this was deliberate irony on the game's design).

When you make terrifyingly short jumps over Instant Death Blood Pits the last thing you expect is to die for no reason at all because your body touched a completely harmless section of a ceiling.

This and I just finished Secret Command on the Master System. Only took me 22 years.

Uncharted 2 Among Thieves (PS3)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3)
Blazblue Continuum Shift (PS3)
Locoroco (PSP)
Assassin's Creed 2 Discovery (DS)

I just finished Final Fantasy IX for the first time yesterday. The ending was really nice, and the final dungeon was the right balance of challenging and enjoyable. Overall though, IX is probably one of my least favourite FF games. It's far too childish (especially in terms of it's dialogue!) and the story wasn't at all compelling. In fact, the story wasn't that well developed at all. That said, the battle system was great and the music was incredible.

And today, I'm starting on Beyond Good and Evil (on PS2) for the second time. Played a few hours of it before but got stuck and didn't bother trying to work it out. I'm looking forward to playing a short game instead of the usual 60-hour epic RPGs I usually play :)

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I'm not really sure why I started playing it again, I used to play it a lot back when I was younger, I always held Majora's Mask in higher regard as the "best" Zelda game but now I'm about half way through I'm not entire sure if I feel the same way anymore. This game is probably more enjoyable and a lot easier as an adult experience, it also helps it just presents a basic story instead of trying to be something it's not like most games today.

I'm at the Water Dungeon at the moment, I went inside and as soon as I saw the multiple floors my thoughts were "**** this" I'll come back to it later tonight, it's not intimidating but once you set foot in that Dungeon you know you're going to get ****** around a lot. But yeah, great game, has still held up well despite being what, twelve years old?

Oh and... THAT HOT BEAT.

Super Meat Boy.

Because, its like, the best game ever. So good. I love the pacing, humour and swift difficulty changes. Only unlocked that flying guy thus far and am working my way through the hospital.

Mass Effect.

Was a bit overwhelmed at the beginning but after spending time in the Citadel talking to everyone and understanding the world a bit more, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with what's going on. I still can't find the nightclubs, but everything else is great - never realised how properly sci-fi it was either.

Up to world 7 in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Sometimes the game is fun, but it's never anything more than an average platform game hopping to ride on people's nostalgia.

The collision detection is sometimes woeful, and the whole thing just feels uninspired. It takes after the first game in the series a little too much, while ignoring all the brilliant things 2 and 3 did.

The music is 99% remixes of the first game, not that that's a bad thing since the original has one of the best game soundtracks of all time, but it just feels lazy... and the remixes don't sound as good, anyway.

Kong has returned to his country... he should have just stayed there on an extended holiday.

Jungle Beat this ain't.

As Jayme has said above, play Super Meat Boy, it's utterly brilliant.

007 Blood Stone. Takes a looooooooooot of cues from SC Conviction but it's fun nonetheless, driving sections are pretty neat provided you never ever press the little red button (which is the handbrake =P) nothing whatsoever to do with diamonds though... much as the intro would like you to think.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate (finally got it running on Vista! :D)
Just blasted through MW2's campaign again - multiplayer is busted, though, for some reason best known to Steam.
As ever, I'm playing Rome: Total War with the mod I helped make (Roma Surrectum 2). /plug
Oh, and Eufloria (cool indie game got for cheap off Steam). :)

What games be i playing? Hah, well, here's the shortlist of priorities:

Breath of Fire 3 - I never really got to play this before, but now i've borrowed it from my brother, i'm really enjoying it. Matches up to the original 2 well, but i'm only about 12-13 hours into the game, i have a ton and a half to go yet no doubt

Recettear - An item shop's tale - One of the many games i got from steam on the cheap and damn, it's fun and hella addictive. I wasn't sure what to make of the game, knowing only murmurs about it, but it has proven to be hella hard actually. failed to meet the 3rd week quota first time round, but thankfully you keep everything going into a second loop, so i should progress with the story now.

Torchlight - Obviously feels like Diablo as a lot of the team who worked on diablo worked on this. Fun game though without a doubt, which will take forever to complete going by the achievements available.

Metroid: Other M - So i can agree that Samus maybe shouldn't have been given a voice, at least not the one the VA is performing for the role, but the game is pretty solid in itself. Transitioning fro third person to first person view adds a nice new element to the game and i find the lack of ways to heal makes it tougher too. Not sure how far in i am yet, but i'm looking forward to seeing how the story progresses

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Nostalgia, and for what i think, the good kind. I kinda wish they did this earlier though, instead of going onto the bongo games, which kinda tarnished the series' great reputation, but this is a nice return to form. Some things i do miss though, the animal statues and bonus levels with them, where's my ostrich and why can't i turn into a swordfish? Maybe i'm pushing it, but i really do hope they add them in in later games, if they do decide to continue. One other bit that bothered me, WHERE IS KING K ROOL?

Other games not priority one:

Defense Grid: The Awakening - great time-sink
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - same as above
Plants vs Zombies - i need a break from it, otherwise i'm going to clock in 70 odd hours in no time

Stuart-says-yes said:
Blazblue- Still bad at this, I'm yet to learn how to pull of combo's and special moves, and it seems you can't win by button mashing with most of the characters except Noel.
That's because you have to mix special and normal attacks together, do that and you're away

As for me i've been playing alot of Minecraft recently, i hate those creepers though, they pop out of nowhere and kill me

Stuart-says-yes said:
Blazblue- Still bad at this, I'm yet to learn how to pull of combo's and special moves, and it seems you can't win by button mashing with most of the characters except Noel.
Hehehe, everyone says that about D spam with Noel at first. Was it Continuum Shift you bought? The trial/tutorial modes are excellent and not too long, have a play through them.

Stuart-says-yes said:
memorium said:
Stuart-says-yes said:
That's because you have to mix special and normal attacks together, do that and you're away

Sounds easy on paper :p

Nah,Calamity trigger, t'is the first in the series story wise after all, but if I ever manage to beat story mode, I'll buy Continuum shift, lol.[/quote] There's quite a few vids on YT about combos, look up some of the BnB combos, they're very effective, as for story mode, last time i played it i found it incredibly easy up to the points i got, except with Rachel, because she sucks against Hakumen

CPU Hakumen is lolworthy, mad command reading parry skills. And fair enough Stu, there are some fairly significant differences with some character stuff between the two, so yeah you might as well look up CT specific stuff on youtube or dustloop.com.

when you've completed the story, destroyed all borgia towers, recruited all peasants and turned them into assassins, collected all feathers, all keys in the lairs of romulus, all subject 16's glyphs and every offline trophy except the "collect all the flags" and "10 kills in execution streak" its kinda pointless to say i'm "playing assassins creed brotherhood"

looking forward to the 4th installment, here's hoping the story is twice as long..... but i've got a funny feeling (because of the way it left the story at the end of brotherhood) that the next game could turn into "instead of running round 1400 - 1500, runing around 2012" it could work.... lets see.

Back