What Games Are You Playing?

Kirrimir said:
currently playing Touhou Labyrinth. Just found this game and it's amazing HNNNNNNG Touhou characters in an RPG disgonbgud.gif
You have the English translation patch etc. right?
Touhou Etrian Odyssey (it's named after it) parody is god awsome, crazy hardcore though.
Absolute massive grindfest, and you need strategies for bosses else they totaly whip you.
Stuck on floor 16/ floor 15 bosses. The fight to get the best nuke in the original game, as expected, does OMG how much DPS, f%~k!!!!11111

The trash on F16 is prety horrible, and grinding on F15 is too slow :(

Omaru_SD said:
Picked it up and have played a little bit, its everything I wished Alan Wake was except in the graphics department. Driving is a little tedious but makes up for it with some completely funny monologues/conversations. If there are other games as surreal as this I'd like to know some recommendations, aside from the obvious narrative, Max Payne.
Yay. I totally agree with your Alan Wake remark; I was so disappointed by that game. York is a much more compelling lead than Alan as well.

The driving is objectively terrible but after a while I started to enjoy it. Even though there's an item obtainable via side quests that enables you to instantly warp to previously visited locations, I rarely used it because to me driving was such an integral part of the experience of being York and living/working in Greenvale. Plus you can upgrade the car later which improves things slightly.

As for other "surreal" games, the obvious point of reference is Silent Hill. SH2 is one of my favourite games. It lacks Deadly Premonition's bizarre humour, which is part of its appeal for me, but it's definitely "out there".

Reaper gI said:
You have the English translation patch etc. right?
Touhou Etrian Odyssey (it's named after it) parody is god awsome, crazy hardcore though.
Absolute massive grindfest, and you need strategies for bosses else they totaly whip you.
Stuck on floor 16/ floor 15 bosses. The fight to get the best nuke in the original game, as expected, does OMG how much DPS, f%~k!!!!11111

The trash on F16 is prety horrible, and grinding on F15 is too slow :(

Yea i have the patch and the boss fights are god tier.

Grinding is something i don't mind in RPG's infact, it gives more satisfaction knowing that you put in long hours to beat that mother*******(Tam's Foe) boss. Damn that Flowing Hellfire to hell...

fabricatedlunatic said:
As for other "surreal" games, the obvious point of reference is Silent Hill. SH2 is one of my favourite games. It lacks Deadly Premonition's bizarre humour, which is part of its appeal for me, but it's definitely "out there".

Yeah I did Silent Hill 1-3, lost interest in 4 at about the halfway point, lost interest in origins even earlier, hated homecoming from the off and really liked Shattered memories up until around the 3rd chase sequence, as if outrunning those creatures wasn't enough I now had to find breathing time to take photos? .... I'm rubbish at stealth in horror games which is why I don't play the Siren series either. Caught the ending for Shattered memories which even though it wasn't canon or was a sequel to the Bad+ ending, it blew my mind!

Finished the new Goldeneye on 007 Classic mode today.

I was one of those who worshipped the original as a god, so was very agitated when this was announced. Shockingly... SHOCKINGLY... it turns out that Eurocom knew exactly what they were doing.

This features shadows of the original and also embraces all the improvements that the genre has gone through over the years. The key for this game (very much like the original) is that you can choose how you wish to go about the levels, either all guns blazing or quietly analysing the environments and take everyone out through stealth. The stealth element propels this into pure euphoria. Both Memorial Park and Control give you extreme satisfaction as you manage to get through an entire section unscathed. Easier modes feature that recharging health option that’s so popular these days, yet that feels like cheating when mentioning Golden and Eye in the same sentence. Leave it at the doorstep.

It’s not without faults. Performances are mostly dire (especially Daniel Craig’s horrendous ‘phoned in’ role), and Trevelyan is just... ugh! Only M and Natalya come off as actually caring to put in some effort. The A.I. is sometimes weird. Shooting wildly attracts attention... hide under a bridge and four enemies just stand around above you dumbstruck, while at other times they would surround you, call for help, throw grenades and elegantly dive for the nearest cover. Graphically it’s rather lazy, the music lacks the original’s catchy ambiance and the final battle is a complete and utter disaster (Trevelyan just hides behind the same four metal barriers... EVEN IF YOU’RE STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HIM!). The updating of the plot also dumbs things down somewhat and feels safe rather than engaging.

It doesn’t come anywhere near matching the quality of the original, but overall it succeeds so well in most areas and was an utter joy to play through. Engaging, rewarding and clever.

8/10

Then started playing the original (first time in about 10 years, although the multi-player gets used quite frequently). Was expecting Framerate Hell, but came off satisfied. Got up to the Silo on 00 Agent. Was fun.

Omaru_SD said:
Caught the ending for Shattered memories which even though it wasn't canon or was a sequel to the Bad+ ending, it blew my mind!

The annual daft ending for that one has two killer jokes in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently playing Final Fantasy XI...again.
Played it constantly years ago, stopped for a few years, then played on and off for awhile and now im back to playing. Being unemployed at the moment isn't helping my addiction issue either.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
Blazblue Calamity Trigger Portable (PSP)
SYD of Valis (Sega Mega Drive)

After a hiatus I returned to Metroid: Other M, thankfully the door glitch in Sector 3 didn't occur. Enjoying the game a far greater deal than some of the reviews made it out to be.

Emo Samus is a no no, though.

Also Deadly Premonition been started.

It is... odd.

Max Takeshi said:
Also Deadly Premonition been started.

It is... odd.

I rented this from work before it came out to give it a try and yes the only word i could use to describe it as well was Odd. I couldn't get in to it, prehaps i didn't give it enough time. What i play was enough

Mainly playing assassins creed brotherhood at the moment, with a bit of halo reach and black ops multiplayer thrown in

Please, for the love of Satan, give Deadly Premonition some time. I nearly didn't and almost missed out on what was an amazing experience.

I'm still making my way through Valkyria Chronicles 2 (up to September--this game is huuuuge) and yesterday started DS adventure game 9 hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Good stuff.

Be sure to use GZDoom for the most appealing experience. Note that you can play deathmatches against up to seven computer opponents using the appropriate command-line modifiers and console commands. One can even download alternative player skins to provide variety.

Alternative WAD files for ZDoom are easily found; you may want to sample Heretic, Hexen and Strife.

Zin5ki said:

We have a Winner!

Also check out Action Doom which turns Doom into a 3d style metal Slug game (complete with unfair instadoom)

And Action Doom 2 which turns the game into a FPS brawl em up with a story that would be right at home in Sin City.

Assassins creed.

Yes, the first one... why? because i'm really looking forward to christmas as i'll be receiving brotherhood... thats 23 days away. Now i'd be sat playing through Assassins creed 2, if i:

A, Hadn't platinumed it
B, Sold it to GAME

So replayed part of the first game, still brilliant... but even though i haven't touched the game since completing it years ago, i started to remember too much of the story despite not even getting as far as the first assassination. Which sort of spoiled it lol.

replayed a few missions on rainbow six vegas lastnight.... me and a mate laughed over the graphics that when the game first came out looked amazing.... but now we've had games with much better graphics their more ps2 like.

I want assassins creed brotherhood :(

Back