What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

View attachment 9727

Got Hakuoki from Sentai in their summer sale.

I really liked Hakuoki - I have all five Blu-rays above plus the OVA DVD "A Memory of Snow Flowers" from Sentai. I showed this series to my mother and she really enjoyed it too. I'm not really into all the bishy guys, but in general I do like reverse harems much more than regular harem anime, because the stories are usually more grounded and serious than what harems dole out, which tend to include a lot adolescent fanservice and comedy and come across as being more immature. Plus there's all the historical flavor of this series, which is a big plus for me.

I really liked Hakuoki - I have all five Blu-rays above plus the OVA DVD "A Memory of Snow Flowers" from Sentai. I showed this series to my mother and she really enjoyed it too. I'm not really into all the bishy guys, but in general I do like reverse harems much more than regular harem anime, because the stories are usually more grounded and serious than what harems dole out, which tend to include a lot adolescent fanservice and comedy and come across as being more immature. Plus there's all the historical flavor of this series, which is a big plus for me.
I do hope you're having a reserved space for the first two Kenshin OVAs then? =O

Hmm, the first two Kenshin OVAs - Not sure what those are - I do own the three Aniplex import Kenshin OVA's or movies or whatever those are, are the OVAs you are referring to something else?
I mean the OVAs Tsuiokuhen and Seishouhen (also known as Samurai X Trust & Betrayal and Reflection.)
The former was my first (and still one of my very few) 10/10 that set up the groundwork of my score distribution benchmark more than a decade ago.
Even now it's a perfectly beautiful piece of art. Though 4:3 does make it look a bit dated and on HD you can see, it wasn't made for HD, so sometimes it looks a bit unpolished by today's standards. But the direction still holds every candle against modern productions. It's just a pity, that Tsuiokuhen is just pretty gloomy (almost nihelistic?) if you ignore the bigger optimistic context of the main story it is prequel to (which never got as beautiful a rendition). That gloom is not something I seek out that much that much anymore with the world going downhill in all sorts of ways. And Reflection outright nullefies the manga optimism, but at the same time doesn't work without manga-knowledge either. (Still it's just so very beautiful to look at.)

I don't see that that much damage in those OVAs even with the Watsuki scandal. They are far more Furuhashi's work than they are Watsuki's. And I bought my DVDs/BDs before the scandal, any effects it could have made are too late anyway.
Also in terms of royalties, he might not actually make off a lot, if people buy the things now. If it worked out the same way as the Gintama Movies, then he got one payment as a sort of licencing fee and then that was it.

I found the OVAs average anyway. S1/2 were good but the OVAs felt far too rushed. It’s still his idea and his ideas may be adapted by someone else but I won’t supoort it as I don’t want him to even have a 1%. Chance of getting my money.
And how it has damaged it is I can’t imagine it ever being adapted again ever.

Granted Tsuiokuhen has a pretty simple plot underneath all the beauty (but I have a thing for this sort of metaphorical aesthetics more often than I don't) and whatever went wrong with the screentime of Seisouhen will probably be forever be shrouded in mystery. But I don't think Tsuiokuhen was rushed at all. Quite the opposite it added quite a good deal and Tomoe isn't a Re-washup anymore. (Though her being something of crybaby in the Live Action movie flashback kinda does prove that her actual character is pretty irrelevant to the overall story...)

Well, as far as support goes, that happened before the scandal, hard to undo at any rate.
And who knows if nobody is ever going to adapt it again. That new Manga-Arc of his has resumed by now after all. (Not that I think I'd be much interested anyhow. New Kyouto Arc was fairly unremarkable while rushed on top of it.)

I mean the OVAs Tsuiokuhen and Seishouhen (also known as Samurai X Trust & Betrayal and Reflection.)
The former was my first (and still one of my very few) 10/10 that set up the groundwork of my score distribution benchmark more than a decade ago.

Ok, that is what I have then - the three Aniplex Blu-ray releases are the two OVAs Trust & Betrayal and Reflection along with the Rurouni Kenshin Movie. All three sets include the English translation booklets. I picked those up back in 2015, so they've been warming my anime shelf for a while already... :)

rurouni1.jpg

rurouni2.jpg

Last edited:
I Know I sold it but I do like the FMAB set its just I needed money and weighed up will I buy part 2 no not really. If TRSI puts it on sale i could own it again.

Ok, that is what I have then - the three Aniplex Blu-ray releases are the two OVAs Trust & Betrayal and Reflection along with the Rurouni Kenshin Movie. All three sets include the English translation booklets. I picked those up back in 2015, so they've been warming my anime shelf for a while already... :)

rurouni1.jpg

rurouni2.jpg
Just out of curiosity, what's in the booklets/how does the box look inside? (Never saw any unboxing around either.)

I had been eying them when they were released almost a decade ago, but at the time the prices and import hassles were hardly justifiable. (Plus no BD player/drive not fast enough PC at the time.) And I loathed the new covers. (I still don't like them.). So I wound of with the French BDs, which are as barebones as they can get.

Still have to wonder, why the OVAs get bundled into a trilogy with the movie. The latter is nowhere like the OVAs in look/style nor content....

Lol, well actually I've kept them sealed, and haven't watched the Bu-rays from the sets as of yet. I always try to keep my physical releases sealed as long as possible in case I have to sell something, so I usually watch them via alternate sources so I don't have to open them. These do have resealable bags though, so if I get a chance I will open one and check the booklet.

I Know I sold it but I do like the FMAB set its just I needed money and weighed up will I buy part 2 no not really. If TRSI puts it on sale i could own it again.
I’ll be keeping an eye out for part 2 in any future sales, it’s my favourite anime so couldn’t pass up your offer. Curious to see how the discs improve on the Funi release as they apparently had issues iirc.

Aniplex titles never go on sale at Rightstuf except during their Christmas sales, and then only if they're at least 4-5 year old releases. Unfortunately I pretty much have always bought them all long before they ever go on sale... I did get my two Brotherhood sets for 20% off at purchase from Tokyo Otaku Mode, but I didn't care for their delayed shipping 7-8 weeks after release, so I won't deal with them again.

And if they go on sale, you'd better be quick, that's a clear sign of soon OOP-ness. Still sour on having missed Occultic:Nine p2. (But at least this elusive piece finally got sourced, even if the price was a bit ouch.)

Lol, well actually I've kept them sealed, and haven't watched the Bu-rays from the sets as of yet. I always try to keep my physical releases sealed as long as possible in case I have to sell something, so I usually watch them via alternate sources so I don't have to open them. These do have resealable bags though, so if I get a chance I will open one and check the booklet.
I do the same, though if I watch it I try to not use alternate sources. (Like buying it should prove to have some actual use.) Though it does happen that it takes years for me to watch it, and then a better version showed up meanwhile...

Wacom Pen & Touch Medium

I'm..... My sanity is interrogating me, why I have this for several hours now.
I guess this is what happens, if you have a random chuunibyou attack, make the mistake to actually talk about it, get some sort of (sanity say mishappen) encouragement, manage to weasel yourself out of it, only to get another chuuni-attack a couple of month later and win an auction on ebay for a price that was entered more as a joke.

I had declared a while ago, that if I had one my first humble goal would be to be manage drawing least a straight line straight.
(Punchline to that was: You don't need that, graphics programms can make it straight for anyway.)

But turns out, I can't even draw any line so far. OTL
(I don't get these driver settings, pen movemets and clicks work perfectly fine in any read-only-document-ish related programm like browser, mail, pdf viewer. But when navigating desktop, simple MS editor, Notepad++ or, for a quick test, simple paint or paint.net, it's just dead frozen.)

I guess, deeper trouble shooting goes after a round of sleep. @_@"

Back