What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

Are people really all that bothered about having bonus features in HD? I have the same question I had when I noticed the other day in HMV you can buy Pineapple Express in 4k. Why? Imho HD is for stuff that's visually impressive enough to warrant it. I couldn't really give a toss about seeing every pore in the director's face during an interview.

It would have helped if the DVDs weren't PAL.

I don't even watch a single bonus feature on any Blu-ray release - anime or live action movies. They just don't interest me in the least, so are not worth my time to bother with them. I'll watch the main feature, and as soon as it is done, the disc comes out of the player and goes back into its case.

I guess in this instance it's the fact that we're getting a 'lesser' product, in case you're wondering I'm with ya, at least in this instance, I don't care about these extras in particular being on DVD or PAL or whatever but I think there's absolutely merit to having content, action packed or otherwise available at the highest quality. I mean who decides what's visually impressive enough or important enough to get such treatment?

Depends on the bonus. TGWLTT has the full film with storyboards and commentary which would be better in HD and some releases have shorts by the director like She and Her Cat by Makoto Shinkai on The Place Promised In Our Early Days/Voices of a Distant Star, which you would want the best quality for.
But other things like documentaries and interviews are fine in SD.

ITCOTW only had interviews and a short locations guide. The disappointment I had with it was the booklet (more like a leaflet!) It could have been so much better. With all the research done by both the manga author/artist and the director and given the subject matter they could have easily done what AL did with Giovanni's Island and written a history of Hiroshima and Kure (before, during and after).

Received Snow White with the Red Hair, Sword of the stranger from AL, wolf children from Amazon, Amagami and Little Busters from MVM.
EBo0M5M.jpg

How does little busters look like inside? Does it have a print on the reverse case wrap?
For the First season and the Ova, the discs have got a different character on each one, on the refrain discs it's a couple characters on each disc. There's no print on the reverse case wrap.

Last weeks and monday's mail (since this i also got Okami HD, Samus Returns, Blades Of the Shogun and Warriors All Stars)

csy8i7ynBZmpZsEaG97PcHOq_spNHVcxdlHNXjlaFSqaUgMouLEqb-MAdY3n9LlGzZw_3yxEFaYrCr1UOnkFdvKkpVHUhohd80AjtINM3jcemp6ePsG9oEMhts_DzSd_vgGdskkXh4tubo9xKG5ObMfiZO6Yp_CmAvXL7qz4AecNGvdNke-l-ynSQYp-6I2JEoa8rEgZYjJqa0-Ufn2wfvf-mpMFbO0JUMTe9ON5GWB5JLc_ClZo1_tdIty9zRtqeaj-ySd2g9LQ5A5VBGGFqIYfYal3PXw8hTBPNEbFA1U6UMBaaTTole4qx843I-OzJlSanYm2_9RdopEttLY45ovNEgUTgHVAzJooHMmp1ngEqXhRq-yJyPjoIsaVzQLmOwNbZhqIoKYjPhB02gHHJSbOGQuCcVrwmyhHyDqLqpj7Uwrc8mKUg_tut7qiM2rNq9h7gP6y7T3_Wr5woDaOUkSn2KlgA3C_auCX7BKAf5JPMvAEUDFXJpjwOMFyjW58lkFv7Ah9U07ARbKl-5850EiL6To99tb0kYo0I2OcAjWEJAZ6ZYYwLQcl7455_V5QtxBH1f9OBMx72jCcA9u9TKsicRnx6fUk7lp0Vco=w1216-h912-no

I actually don't really like the Haruhi tv series (expect the portion that comes after endless arc on season 2) but i think the series is worth watching just for the movie which is near greatness (falls little short)

Last weeks and monday's mail (since this i also got Okami HD, Samus Returns, Blades Of the Shogun and Warriors All Stars)

csy8i7ynBZmpZsEaG97PcHOq_spNHVcxdlHNXjlaFSqaUgMouLEqb-MAdY3n9LlGzZw_3yxEFaYrCr1UOnkFdvKkpVHUhohd80AjtINM3jcemp6ePsG9oEMhts_DzSd_vgGdskkXh4tubo9xKG5ObMfiZO6Yp_CmAvXL7qz4AecNGvdNke-l-ynSQYp-6I2JEoa8rEgZYjJqa0-Ufn2wfvf-mpMFbO0JUMTe9ON5GWB5JLc_ClZo1_tdIty9zRtqeaj-ySd2g9LQ5A5VBGGFqIYfYal3PXw8hTBPNEbFA1U6UMBaaTTole4qx843I-OzJlSanYm2_9RdopEttLY45ovNEgUTgHVAzJooHMmp1ngEqXhRq-yJyPjoIsaVzQLmOwNbZhqIoKYjPhB02gHHJSbOGQuCcVrwmyhHyDqLqpj7Uwrc8mKUg_tut7qiM2rNq9h7gP6y7T3_Wr5woDaOUkSn2KlgA3C_auCX7BKAf5JPMvAEUDFXJpjwOMFyjW58lkFv7Ah9U07ARbKl-5850EiL6To99tb0kYo0I2OcAjWEJAZ6ZYYwLQcl7455_V5QtxBH1f9OBMx72jCcA9u9TKsicRnx6fUk7lp0Vco=w1216-h912-no

I actually don't really like the Haruhi tv series (expect the portion that comes after endless arc on season 2) but i think the series is worth watching just for the movie which is near greatness (falls little short)
People under the Stairs- good choice! Watched that this Halloween

image.jpg
Late to the party due to slow af postage in my area. Also received my second Rightstuf package, it having been taken for ransom by RM. can't open it until Christmas Day though :p

Another delay in postage thanks to the local Royal Mail.

DRgO3gpXUAMZbrg.jpg

The Anime Limited release of Sword of the Stranger has arrived. Now I actually already own the Beez UK Blu-ray release but it needed an upgrade on presentation, so this collector's edition was nice enough at £14.99 thanks to the early bird sale. There are in fact some minor differences that may interest some folks.

Photos for both the Beez UK Blu-ray and Anime Limited UK Collector's Combo sets are up on my blog.

Okay, so the Beez UK Blu-ray release was actually authored by Spanish distributor Selecta Vision (who also authored Manga UK's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and we all know what went wrong with that one) whereas the Anime Limited version was authored by the French branch @Anime. The Beez release was quite decent, though there's an entire scene where the subtitles from the Japanese dialogue appeared in the dub - this has been corrected with the Anime Limited version as well as the whole subtitles thing for the Chinese dialogue in the dub that had affected the Funimation version.

The special features are all here from the previous release, with a little longer run-time and also DTS-HD MA 2.0 audio instead of Dolby Digital 2.0. While the Beez UK Blu-ray was regions A|B and had unlockable white subtitles, the Anime Limited version is region locked to B|2 and has locked white subtitles on both formats. The extras are also Blu-ray only. In addition the menu design is much better in the Anime Limited version in contrast to the Beez UK version.

Anywho that's the anime you'll see from me until Christmas Day. Unfortunately three anime titles won't arrive until sometime after the 25th due to AL's sales taking a delay but I have a good amount to unbox in return (including a certain giant monster). The Saga of Tanya the Evil light novel will also be delayed which was expected because books never arrive on-time when they are close to Christmas lol.

sif92D9.jpg

Received Canaan one day last week in the morning post, but as I was running late for work just threw it in my bag and only just opened it now. Previously bought this set before on a clearance sale on play.com not long after it came out, then watched the set and sold it on, but after seeing it in a recent DOTW I kind of had the urge to go back and give it another shot!

sif92D9.jpg

Received Canaan one day last week in the morning post, but as I was running late for work just threw it in my bag and only just opened it now. Previously bought this set before on a clearance sale on play.com not long after it came out, then watched the set and sold it on, but after seeing it in a recent DOTW I kind of had the urge to go back and give it another shot!

Wow, I'm not really into blondes, but I always thought Canaan's character was still pretty hot - I've never seen that image of her used on the DVD cover anywhere before, but it is a really good one of her, drool drool... :)

Back