What did you BUY today?

I really enjoyed my time with Star Ocean 3 and I highly recommend going into it completely blind because it adds to the experience.

I am completely blind on the whole series outside of trailers from the recent titles which have been shown during events like State of Play so no worry there, I look forward to it! will start with the original game first though I assume like many JRPG series, it doesn't matter which order you play them in as they're self-contained, correct me if I'm wrong though.

As for me I'm waiting for all the new players to this franchise to feed me their freash SO4 reactions.

It's the most divisive entry that everyone hates to love or loves to hate.....kay.

I have a friend who played it back in the day on either X360 or PS3 and the game made them despise the series and not give the rest of the series a chance. I wanna play them myself though to form my own opinion, I'm not a fussy person so I'll likely have a better time regardless.

I am completely blind on the whole series outside of trailers from the recent titles which have been shown during events like State of Play so no worry there, I look forward to it! will start with the original game first though I assume like many JRPG series, it doesn't matter which order you play them in as they're self-contained, correct me if I'm wrong though.
Yeah Star Ocean is similar to Final Fantasy in which each game is standalone, and the only familiarity is they're set in the same universe.

Fun trivia: Once you've finished Star Ocean 2, there is an anime called Star Ocean EX which is available on SD-BD by Discotek if you need extra Star Ocean goodness.

Yeah Star Ocean is similar to Final Fantasy in which each game is standalone, and the only familiarity is they're set in the same universe.

Fun trivia: Once you've finished Star Ocean 2, there is an anime called Star Ocean EX which is available on SD-BD by Discotek if you need extra Star Ocean goodness.

Ah, thanks! thought so.

And ooh, will have to look into grabbing that as well then, cheers.

Just one quick correction Star Ocean 4 has a few direct references to Star Ocean 1. but otherwise they are standalone yes
They aren't standalone at least for the first 4 games although the forth game is actually the first in the timeline with a large gap between it and the events of the original star ocean with SO2 happening around 2 decades or more afterwards (given the age of Claude) with 3 being what was considered at the time to be the conclusion.

As for the other two games, I wouldn't know if they even are part of the original SO timeline.

They aren't standalone at least for the first 4 games although the forth game is actually the first in the timeline with a large gap between it and the events of the original star ocean with SO2 happening around 2 decades or more afterwards (given the age of Claude) with 3 being what was considered at the time to be the conclusion.

As for the other two games, I wouldn't know if they even are part of the original SO timeline.

To be safe I'll play them in release order, I will likely pre-order Star Ocean 2 now which should give me enough time to get through 1.

This is true but we were talking in terms of story relation. They are all standalone EXCEPT that they share the same universe. You can start with Star Ocean 6 if you want and be fine.

And yes the other games are part of the timeline too :)

EDIT
Series_Timeline.jpg

Last edited:
AllYourMusic via eBay had two newly released 4Ks up as part of their buy 2 get 25% off deal so I couldn’t resist:
  • Rosemary’s Baby UHD
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarves UHD

Back