What did you BUY today?

NormanicGrav

ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬
AUKN Staff
I've pre-ordered the new Eureka Entertainment release of Sammo Hung's The Millionaires' Express, which is out this Monday.

I don't usually pre-order Eureka releases mainly because trying to keep up with their first print sets is too much to deal with especially on the pricing side, and while I did get Lucky Stars collection that was because it randomly dropped in price. In this instance however, Eureka and the team who work on the 88 Asia releases have provided an additional Blu-ray disc for the film.

This second disc is exclusive to the first print edition and it comes with two different versions of the film - the English Language version which is what was originally prepared for International audiences, and an exclusive 'Hybrid Cut' which combines all of the scenes from the original theatrical Hong Kong cut and the International Extended Version together to make a complete film. It's a very unique situation and I wanted to check that version out. This release also includes the missing Lucky Stars bonus feature that was accidently inaccessible in the Lucky Stars collection.

In other words, this Eureka Blu-ray set has 4 ways to watch the film:
  • Original Theatrical Hong Kong Cut [Disc 1]
  • Extended International Version [Disc 1]
  • English Language Version [Disc 2]
  • Hybrid Cut [Disc 2]

Dai

Hunter
After holding off for a year, I finally became part of the problem and subscribed to Disney+. I already have too many streaming subscriptions, so the plan is to just use it for a month and then cancel. I already own all the Marvel and Star Wars movies, and most of the animated classics that I like, so there's only a few shows and movies I want to see. I'm not great at actually unsubscribing to things though. I've kept Netflix active even during periods when I ended up not touching it for months on end. I've been meaning to at least pause it, but recently it's been drip-feeding me one thing a month that I want to see. That's awful value for £10 per month, so I might pull the plug at some point. I am planning to drop HiDive when the annual subscription comes up for renewal though.

Regarding Disney+, I would have preferred to just buy blu-rays of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wandavision, and The Mandalorian, but those will never exist, so here I am. It's a pain the way streaming services hold most of their original content hostage, but that's basically the entire business model in this case. Once some of of these services inevitably go belly up, a lot of great shows are going to become lost media (by legal means).

ayase

State Alchemist
Regarding Disney+, I would have preferred to just buy blu-rays of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wandavision, and The Mandalorian, but those will never exist, so here I am. It's a pain the way streaming services hold most of their original content hostage, but that's basically the entire business model in this case. Once some of of these services inevitably go belly up, a lot of great shows are going to become lost media (by legal means).
My attitude to that is that if companies don’t give me what I want, I take it. I prefer supporting things legally, I buy releases where they exist in order to support creators but if they’re going to make subscription services the only way to watch certain shows, screw ‘em. I’ll get my torrent on. This is an insane problem with non-Japanese cartoons. So many shows are produced in HD, but NEVER released on blu-ray, and if they are made available on physical media it’s DVD only. And then shows get cancelled because they don’t seem popular enough, when if they produced blu-rays there’d be a TON of people lining up to buy them. It’s honestly maddening.

Vincentdante

Za Warudo
I'm making a concious effort to stop watching the MCU after endgame, it was fun to watch but they really had to nerf Thanos hard to make him an Avengers level threat. Anyway I'm gonna stick to the comics. Though if they make some X-men or Fantastic Four movies for the MCU then I'll check those out.

Dai

Hunter
I'm making a concious effort to stop watching the MCU after endgame, it was fun to watch but they really had to nerf Thanos hard to make him an Avengers level threat. Anyway I'm gonna stick to the comics. Though if they make some X-men or Fantastic Four movies for the MCU then I'll check those out.
A Fantastic Four movie has been announced, but I think it's the only phase four movie not to have a release date yet, so don't expect it before 2024. That's assuming huge-budget movies are still considered financially viable in another couple of years, of course.

RadFemHedonist

Vampire Ninja
I bought:

Dolcelatte Cheese
Special K Red Berries Cereal
A nice sort of stonewashed looking cream white top
Two books - A Ration Book Daughter by Jean Fullerton and The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman - former is one of those wartime romance dealies featuring a mother in difficult circumstances, and the latter is about old people in a retirement village solving murder mysteries - I got them in the supermarket cuz I was curious to try something different than what I usually read :)

Shadow Cat

Stand User
So many shows are produced in HD, but NEVER released on blu-ray, and if they are made available on physical media it’s DVD only. And then shows get cancelled because they don’t seem popular enough, when if they produced blu-rays there’d be a TON of people lining up to buy them. It’s honestly maddening.
I've never understood why there are still DVD only releases since 2019

Even if the argument is "the content is SD only so thats why we use DVD's" then SD Bluray will be great, will only have to use 1 or 2 disks rather than 4 and you wont have to kill the quality cramming as much data into an old format

Vincentdante

Za Warudo

Even if the argument is "the content is SD only so thats why we use DVD's" then SD Bluray will be great, will only have to use 1 or 2 disks rather than 4 and you wont have to kill the quality cramming as much data into an old format
DVD's sell way more that's why, plus they are cheap to produce unlike Blu-ray

-Danielle-

Death Scythe
If you’re with O2 they’re giving away 6 months for free as it’s the only reason I now have Disney+

Yesterday I ordered the August Ghost from The York Ghost Merchants and today I’ve bought my hotel for SLA.

Oldmario

Magical Girl

i think a BD at bulk costs is still like a couple quid vs maybe 20p a dvd (these aren't accurate figures just an estimate to show the scale of cost)

Shadow Cat

Stand User
Not going to lie.. I'm surprised

I'm not one of these /HD ONLY/ types of people, I'm more than happy to watch stuff thats DVD/480p only on a 21" screen but I can easily tell the difference... its fine.... Watching 480p on a living room TV (usually 32"+) that would break me at this point. The whole idea of watching /that next blockbuster/ at 480p in 2021 makes me laugh especially when the cheapest TV is 1080p now, I dont even think 720p is an option anymore

Oldmario

Magical Girl
Not going to lie.. I'm surprised

I'm not one of these /HD ONLY/ types of people, I'm more than happy to watch stuff thats DVD/480p only on a 21" screen but I can easily tell the difference... its fine.... Watching 480p on a living room TV (usually 32"+) that would break me at this point. The whole idea of watching /that next blockbuster/ at 480p in 2021 makes me laugh especially when the cheapest TV is 1080p now, I dont even think 720p is an option anymore
there are surprisingly a couple HD ready models still available in 2021, my 32" died a couple months ago and i wanted to get another 32" because i thought any bigger would be too big but all i could really find was HD ready stuff so i just went for a bigger size

Shadow Cat

Stand User
there are surprisingly a couple HD ready models still available in 2021, my 32" died a couple months ago and i wanted to get another 32" because i thought any bigger would be too big but all i could really find was HD ready stuff so i just went for a bigger size
I hold my hands up, I'm amazed at how many 720p TV's there are and I'm pretty shocked. Just looked at Currys website and "HD Ready" is still very much a thing. I remember reading this back in 200? when I got my first ever 1080p screen lol

I have a 4K monitor not doing anything... maybe its time to make money lol

Vincentdante

Za Warudo
I see it daily honestly, most people genuinely don't care about Blu-ray. I have asked occasionally and they will usually say it's too overpriced when you can get a DVD for much cheaper or to just stream the movie on Netflix. HD is not even a consideration. To be honest from my point of view I had a bit of a culture shock when I first came here and saw people look down on DVD lol

awadama fever

Za Warudo
Yeah, there are plenty of people who don't think the difference in picture quality is worth the extra money - or just simply don't have the spare funds to be throwing in an extra £5 or £10 every time they want to buy a movie.

I gave a 4k disc a try recently (Deadpool was £10 in Fopp) - it honestly wasn't a big enough step up from BD for for me, so I wouldn't even consider buying a 4k in the future (unless I became super rich or something).

TBH, I think sometimes people in communities like this can get really focused on technical things like picture quality, lossless audio, artefacts, the colour of subtitles and whatever else - but the general public really doesn't care about most of that stuff 😅

-Danielle-

Death Scythe
I ordered a sushi roller shaker thing cause I saw some woman use it on her IG where she makes her husband lunches and I wanna try!

I also ordered a little glass coffee cup where the inside is different animals faces, I chose a bear one and also a little No Face on swing to hang on the little fake tree in my bedroom.

Oh and I ordered a Skeletor tshirt as I love the print and already have a hoodie of it as well as a velvet top, both from Killstar.

Robin91

Great Teacher
I ordered a lot of Bleach production art and sketches with original painted backgrounds. Here's a couple of the ones I bought. I love the colors on the first one 😍 And yes, these are authentic sketches that were used in the studio. I might create a new thread when they get here 😁

Attachments

• imgdsd_b.jpg
    imgdsd_b.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 4
  • img_b.jpg
    img_b.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 3
  • mnhnaprchf_o.jpg
    mnhnaprchf_o.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4
  • Yoru_3b.png
    Yoru_3b.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

RadFemHedonist

Vampire Ninja
For some reason, I felt compelled to take photos of this stuff and not the anime I buy 🤣 🤣 🤣 Also the jacket was a fiver and the trainers were £13, I spent more on the hair scrunchies and those toiletries and I just find that funny for some reason. Cuz of my depression I struggle to take care of myself so I'm trying to get better at pampering myself with nice scents and quality products so I'll feel compelled to shower every day, brush my teeth, brush and wash my hair (I don't wash my hair every day but I at least wanna make it enjoyable when I do!) :) Like I'm not big into beauty rituals I don't wear makeup cuz I don't think it's worth it for me personally (the time it takes to put on and remove and the extra money I'd spend on it and I'm also just clumsy lol) but I do wanna smell good and wear shiny things XD Really glad I found those trainers they're super comfortable and I did need a new pair as my old ones were on the verge of being past it. I got a really cute top/blouse thingy from a charity shop as well so just took a pic of that as well. I hope everyone enjoys the shinies 🥰 (also yes the banana conditioner really does smell of banana) :)

Attachments

• Boots Shampoo Conditioner Body Spray.jpg
    Boots Shampoo Conditioner Body Spray.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Charity Shop Jacket.jpg
    Charity Shop Jacket.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 4
  • TKMaxx Trainers.jpg
    TKMaxx Trainers.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Claire's Accessories Hair Scrunchies.jpg
    Claire's Accessories Hair Scrunchies.jpg