What did you BUY today?

Faye Valentine and Alphonse Elric Pops to complete my Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist sets respectively.
There's a few other CB ones, but I got the main 4 (5 including Ein).

Shipped. Cost an extra ¥800.
Have to pay customs again. The tracking said it arrived in the Post Office Enquiries Office at 10 and my post arrived about 50 minutes later, but no grey slip. Even though it's around the corner I guess the postie must have left earlier than 10 and delivered in the wrong direction first 😄

Bought a ticket to see Princess Mononoke on 24th February in the cinema :)

Also bought myself an iPhone 7 outright as it works out £300 cheaper than doing a 36 month contract and the phone through that. I'm still on an SE at the moment so overdue a new phone as that was released 2016 haha.

Over the last month, I’ve spent a total of around £20 on purchasing four books from two sellers on AbeBooks and Amazon Marketplace in an attempt to obtain a set of three OOP books in reasonably good condition.

Two of these books, from seller “WorldofBooks” were described as being in “very good” condition, and had descriptions that went on to clarify that meant the spines were not broken. The spines on both those books were two of the most bent and ruined spines I’ve ever had the misfortune to see on paperback books.

Another two, from seller “ThriftBooks” were described as being in “like new” condition. They somehow managed to be worse than the previous books. The covers actually had folds in them, and the edges were so bashed and worn away they looked like they’d been through a tumble dryer.

Around 10-15 years ago, I used to love hunting down second hand books online. Maybe one in ten I’d buy would be in some way disappointing, or required me to seek a refund. I asked for refunds on every one of these books, immediately received them in full and was basically told to give them to charity or throw them out. No attempt at explanation for the appallingly inaccurate and misleading descriptions was forthcoming even though I specifically mentioned it, along with how unlikely that made it that I would ever order from them again.

This does not give me a lot of hope for buying from these platforms any more. I wish they required pictures of the actual goods for sale, since this attitude leads me to believe sellers are now just blatantly lying about the condition of their goods to make buyers more likely to choose their listings, hoping their prices are low enough few people will bother to complain. Well I can and will be bothered and now have four free doorstops for my trouble.

I am tempted, in fact, to buy every single copy of one of the books for sale, noting the stated condition and the seller, then photographing the actual condition of the books when they arrive and publicising the results. I get the distinct feeling I’d receive better “acceptable” quality books from some sellers than “like new” ones from others.

Rant over, for now. It’s just really, really annoyed me that something I used to find joy in is now seemingly bringing me nothing but frustration and disappointment.

Over the last month, I’ve spent a total of around £20 on purchasing four books from two sellers on AbeBooks and Amazon Marketplace in an attempt to obtain a set of three OOP books in reasonably good condition.

Two of these books, from seller “WorldofBooks” were described as being in “very good” condition, and had descriptions that went on to clarify that meant the spines were not broken. The spines on both those books were two of the most bent and ruined spines I’ve ever had the misfortune to see on paperback books.

Another two, from seller “ThriftBooks” were described as being in “like new” condition. They somehow managed to be worse than the previous books. The covers actually had folds in them, and the edges were so bashed and worn away they looked like they’d been through a tumble dryer.

Around 10-15 years ago, I used to love hunting down second hand books online. Maybe one in ten I’d buy would be in some way disappointing, or required me to seek a refund. I asked for refunds on every one of these books, immediately received them in full and was basically told to give them to charity or throw them out. No attempt at explanation for the appallingly inaccurate and misleading descriptions was forthcoming even though I specifically mentioned it, along with how unlikely that made it that I would ever order from them again.

This does not give me a lot of hope for buying from these platforms any more. I wish they required pictures of the actual goods for sale, since this attitude leads me to believe sellers are now just blatantly lying about the condition of their goods to make buyers more likely to choose their listings, hoping their prices are low enough few people will bother to complain. Well I can and will be bothered and now have four free doorstops for my trouble.

I am tempted, in fact, to buy every single copy of one of the books for sale, noting the stated condition and the seller, then photographing the actual condition of the books when they arrive and publicising the results. I get the distinct feeling I’d receive better “acceptable” quality books from some sellers than “like new” ones from others.

Rant over, for now. It’s just really, really annoyed me that something I used to find joy in is now seemingly bringing me nothing but frustration and disappointment.
when i started to buy online i learnt very quickly to avoid books, they'd always come yellowed up or smell really moldy despite the condition guides saying they were perfectly fine

i guess they probably make a lot of money from people like my aunt who will only complain to people around them and have no idea how to ask for a refund so they continue to do it and not give a care, even ebay allows people to get around this because i've seen listings set as new (other) and it'll mention that they've used it once and decided they didn't like it

but i've found atleast with comics that nearly most sellers put photos up and tend to bag and board them to protect them, only problem is when you get someone cheap that sends them in a jiffybag instead of something like a thick cardboard evenlope they get bent by the postman thinking it's just a large letter

Bought 2 headphone converters cause Apple were d*cks removing the headphone jack.

Also bought myself some new low converse as bagged em for £28 on the Urban Outfitters site :)

Everyone has removed the headphone jack now which brings me endless joy after they all hated apple 4 years prior.

I was on an SE since 2016 so it was a non issue for me until I needed a new phone, inevitability was occurring when my phone was at 50%, cutting off and coming back on at 10%, cutting off then coming back at 40% to where it wouldn't turn on after that lol. Was flogging a dead horse with that phone lol.

Oh so other phone brands don't have it either?

When I used to use my exes iPad I was p*ssed they removed it from that too. Wireless earphones, apple and fake apple ones, hurt my ears after a while as I have tiny ones so it really is a mare for me :(

All the premium ones the ones apple primarily compete with. Samsung and google the two who kept screaming about still having it. It just made them look like hypocrites

Jack ports are my simple pleasures so its a sad day. Im clumsy as hell too so these jacks will break and/or get lost. Rip me. Why I need a few to keep in different bags, coat pockets etc lol.

Well my daughter and I will have a headphone jack on our phones for another 3-5 years yet - both her s10 and my Note 9 we recently bought still have them. 👍

I will never ever buy an Apple product, especially an iPhone.

It is slightly annoying but you can get adapters for under a tenner. When you consider what the phones themselves and decent headphones cost, that’s not really a whole lot of extra outlay to keep using your preferred choice of headphones.

Back