What did you BUY today?

A Seiki U-Vision Blu Ray player. My current Toshiba one has been dying for a while now, taking multiple attempts to play Region A Blu Rays (DVDs and Region B Blu Rays are fine it seems) I recently tried to play my Scrapped Princess discs and it just wouldn't play, so in the end I picked one of these up, and it'll arrive Friday.

Last edited:
If that becomes a huge problem I'll just have to send it back and find another alternative. For now it'll have to do since I don't have that much to spend on the more expensive options at the moment.

I was fortunate enough to pick up an ICOS modded Sony player a few months back. Lovely little thing.

I owned a 1200 with the AU firmware for years before it started crashing whilst playing certain Blu-ray discs Tears to Tiara, Kill me Baby etc), I had to replace the logic board but it worked flawlessly afterwards.

The replacement board was on eBay for just under a tenner and it was only a case of swapping a couple of cables, no soldering or anything required.

I was fortunate enough to pick up an ICOS modded Sony player a few months back. Lovely little thing.

May I ask what happened with the Toshiba. I owned a 1200 with the AU firmware for years before it started crashing whilst playing certain Blu-ray discs, I had to replace the logic board but it worked flawlessly afterwards.

The replacement board was on eBay for just under a tenner and it was only a case of swapping a couple of cables, no soldering iron anything required.
It doesn't crash whilst playing but just refuses to play certain Region A discs at all. Mine is a 1200 as well, and it really grinds and churns when it struggles to play certain discs, though it's completely fine with Region 1 DVDS and most other discs in general, but not certain older (Black Lagoon, Danganronpa) and newer (Scrapped Princess, Akito the exiled) Funi releases)

I've had it for almost three years and it was used when I bought and modded it so I'm not too annoyed that it's finally giving up on certain discs, it's more an inconvenience on my budget than anything else. I might see if I can get a few quid for it in CeX or whatever or hold onto it as a backup since it still functions.

In the future I'll invest in a better quality player for sure, it's just a shame that region locking is still a thing, though 4K Blu Ray Blu Rays are making progress there at least.

Last edited:
The grinding is probably the laser head moving really fast seeking, which isn't great.

My solution is just a US Sony BD player, but it helped my parents where vacationing in the USA so I asked them to retrieve one for me.

Yours isn't as far gone as mine was. I'd get about two episodes into an affected title before it'd boot me back to the Home screen, for a while skipping straight to the "top menu" and going through episode select would get me past the affected section but eventually that stopped working too.

I honestly want a OPPO BD player for that feature to be able to play a disc, and use subtitles from a USB stick.

That is a feature that all BD players need.

Yours isn't as far gone as mine was. I'd get about two episodes into an affected title before it'd boot me back to the Home screen, for a while skipping straight to the "top menu" and going through episode select would get me past the affected section but eventually that stopped working too.
I can't even get to the menu, it just refuses to accept the discs at all, let alone play them, but I'm glad it still works for DVDs. If I have time I might seek out replacing the logic board in the future but for now it's being retired before anything worse happens.

It's a shame really, it's a decent player but it decided to give up at a bad time, I actually used the DVDs in a Combo release for once since I was halfway through Scrapped Princess when it rejected it.

Back