What did you BUY today?

Oniisama e... (Dear Brother) genga, douga, layout sheets
AHYyO01.jpg

eIzsuzx.jpg

v0VB3gQ.jpg
So how much did that cost you.

A student membership for The Picturehouse cinemas. I'll be using the one in Central London near my Uni more frequently over the next year. I went there to see the live action Ghost in the Shell and it was very comfy. Quite cheap and with two free tickets as well.
I bought ghost in the shell on blue ray the film not that good but it looks nice .

jaQZkZp.png

An Xbox One! I own a PS4 and a Switch, so this will complete my current gen console collection. Honestly, I didn't really intend to buy this at first, I wanted a 4K Blu Ray player, but when I learned that you can get Xbox One S bundles, which can play 4K BDs, for not a whole lot more, the choice seemed obvious. The 4K BD Players I was looking at were like £150, for comparison, this bundle from GAME, which comes with Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3, and Now TV for 2 months, was £200. Seemed like a no-brainer, personally. I'll likely sell Forza 7, I don't really have a lot of love for track racing, and since its new, I should be able to get quite a bit of exchange for it at CeX, which I'll use to pick up some older exclusives I missed out on. Already picked up a copy of The Master Chief Collection from eBay, sans box, for a fiver!

jaQZkZp.png

An Xbox One! I own a PS4 and a Switch, so this will complete my current gen console collection. Honestly, I didn't really intend to buy this at first, I wanted a 4K Blu Ray player, but when I learned that you can get Xbox One S bundles, which can play 4K BDs, for not a whole lot more, the choice seemed obvious. The 4K BD Players I was looking at were like £150, for comparison, this bundle from GAME, which comes with Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3, and Now TV for 2 months, was £200. Seemed like a no-brainer, personally. I'll likely sell Forza 7, I don't really have a lot of love for track racing, and since its new, I should be able to get quite a bit of exchange for it at CeX, which I'll use to pick up some older exclusives I missed out on. Already picked up a copy of The Master Chief Collection from eBay, sans box, for a fiver!
Yeh same with forza not much for track.racing but oh boy the forza horizon series is by far one of my favourite games they are amazing

Found a 4k upscaling Blu-ray player in Cash Converters for £40, which upon Googling quickly on my phone had very good reviews and won an award from What Hi-Fi. I thought I'd get it to connect to my 4k monitor so I don't have to listen to my PC while I watch Blu-rays and have better picture quality. Great.

Except it won't seem to output sound to the monitor via HDMI (looking this up, this is a thing that happens because a monitor with built in speakers is apparently a very different thing to a TV... I don't know how but apparently it is) and it has no other audio outputs at all so I can't link it up to my speakers or my headphones. Awesome.

Honestly what is the point of making a machine that offers 4k upscaling and fantastic picture quality but doesn't even give the option to output audio any better than to crappy TV speakers? Dunno what to do with the bloody thing now.

Amazon had an offer on that if you buy a £30 gift certificate they would give you a £6 off your next order thingy, so I bought an email one and sent it to myself and used it to buy The Handmaiden Special Edition and some cheapo earphones for listening to music at work as one side stopped working on my current ones.

As a side note it left me with about £12 amazon balance, anyone know if I have a pre-order it will use that balance and make up the difference using my card or would I need to reorder to get it to use it? Probably best asking this in the dedicated questions thread, but I'm lazy...

*Never mind, you can manually apply it to an pre-order.*

Last edited:
Found a 4k upscaling Blu-ray player in Cash Converters for £40, which upon Googling quickly on my phone had very good reviews and won an award from What Hi-Fi. I thought I'd get it to connect to my 4k monitor so I don't have to listen to my PC while I watch Blu-rays and have better picture quality. Great.

Except it won't seem to output sound to the monitor via HDMI (looking this up, this is a thing that happens because a monitor with built in speakers is apparently a very different thing to a TV... I don't know how but apparently it is) and it has no other audio outputs at all so I can't link it up to my speakers or my headphones. Awesome.

Out of curiosity, what would the model of your monitor and the Blu Ray player be?

My experience has been that most monitors with built in speakers also offer a headphone output. I've not run into any missing audio issues running a host of different devices into mine (which is a lovely Benq 24 inch LED monitor.) My understanding is that sound SHOULD be output via HDMI in the vast majority of cases.

Maybe it's a vagary of that particular player?

most monitors with built in speakers also offer a headphone output.
You made my day HdE, because I found there is indeed a 3.5mm output on the monitor, plugged my speakers into this and bingo. I now have sound. Bizarre. I'd rather it came through my better quality external speakers anyway, that's what I wanted to do but I was used to linking them straight to my old player with RCA leads. I didn't even consider doing that.

Well once again not bought today but receiving in the next few days: the tristellar pc chassis! I've had to make like half a build around it though. I'll follow up when I remind myself of the parts but I needed a new mobo new bluray drive and a new CPU fan to fit it. Can't wait till I can build it!

followup: Zalman quiet low profile CPU fan, STRIX Z270I Mini ITX, LG Ultra- slim internal Bluray

Last edited:
Thanks to @crashmatt for pointing it out, used DeepDiscount and their 15% WITCHES code to bu:

Bleach Set 3 Blu Ray (Pre-order, and only around £25 as well)

Lupin the Third: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone Blu Ray

Lupin the Third: Island of Assassins Blu Ray

Plane ticket back from SLA as traveling by train both ways will break me. 7+ hr trip.

Never flown before so hopefully all will go well

Seems the aircraft is pathed as a Turboprop Bombardier Q400.

Back