Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LPt1G9Ah.jpg

IncendiaryLemon said:
Really not a fan of the BBFC and stuff being centred on the Patlabor box.

I think it maybe a matter of consistency? The first set on DVD has the exact same placement.

That Amnesia artwork is quite nice - almost tempting me to get it even though I'm not really into otome stuff.

I've enjoyed a few "Otome" things, although I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the genre in general. Still, I don't really recall hearing many positive things about Amnesia... Erm, no pun intended.

The Amnesia cover looks slightly odd on the Blu-ray with part cut off. I don't usually notice it, it's probably because they have a character's face right at the top.

What on Earth were Kaze thinking with that Terraformars BD cover? What does that tell me about the show? Who are they trying to sell it to, people with some sort of humanoid insect fetish? A niche in a niche?
The Magi covers on the other hand look nice, but as much as I'd love to buy the show on BD so that I can actually watch it I'm still waiting on a BD release from a competent non-boycotted company.
Tokyo Ghoul's packaging seems pretty neat, but as others have said I'm not really a fan of it. I dropped the show at the end of Season 1 so I'm not sure whether I'll pick it up or not at this stage. I hear the second season gets even worse.

Gemsy-chan said:
Feels like i've been waiting forever for 009 Re:Cyborg
I'm a bit confused too - especially since it's been available in Australia for a month now as a dual audio 3D BD. I was under the impression Anime Limited commissioned the dub for it, therefore we would get it earlier rather than two months after.

st_owly said:
Amnesia is terrible, and I say that as an otome fan. I wouldn't even buy it on DOTW.

Rather amusingly it seems to be the single worst rated male harem show on ANN.

Mangaranga said:
What on Earth were Kaze thinking with that Terraformars BD cover? What does that tell me about the show? Who are they trying to sell it to, people with some sort of humanoid insect fetish? A niche in a niche?

Looks to me like they're trying to avoid putting that (black) insect thing, with the (white) protagonists on the same cover.

I didn't watch the show, but there were comments at the time that the show had incredibly racist undertones. Perhaps that's what they're trying to avoid?

Yeah, it's hard to get away from the racist undertones with the imagery the show goes with, even if it's unintentional - if someone in the west saw the visuals without prior knowledge of what the show is about, I imagine they'd probably get the wrong impression.

It's a pretty horrid show, tbh, but I enjoyed enough of the subbed version on CR to warrant picking it up, and I'm interested to see what the uncensored version is like.

Lutga said:
Yeah, it's hard to get away from the racist undertones with the imagery the show goes with, even if it's unintentional - if someone in the west saw the visuals without prior knowledge of what the show is about, I imagine they'd probably get the wrong impression.

It's a pretty horrid show, tbh, but I enjoyed enough of the subbed version on CR to warrant picking it up, and I'm interested to see what the uncensored version is like.

I was willing give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume it was just poor choices that nobody spotted until release. Then I saw this from the manga...
C6zlx.jpg

Anyway, save yourself some money, the uncensored versions are going up on Crunchyroll in line with the JP releases.

Do we want to get into the "racism" discussion regarding Terra Formars? Maybe it'd need a separate thread.

I'm not sure I know enough about it to fairly comment on the whole thing, I'd have to see the show really. Still, the common complaint seems to be based on the art and from what I've seen I don't really think it's fair to jump to the "racism" assumption. If racism wasn't currently an issue, I wonder if anyone would even notice that the "bad guys" (or are they?) happen to be dark skinned and the "good guys" happen to be light skinned. It feels like that alone isn't enough to really call "racism", you have to be reading into it an implication that "dark = bad, light = good" and it doesn't seem like the conflict has anything to do with skin colour.

That said, I can't decide if the ideal situation would be that we're all constantly aware and trying to make efforts to ensure equality or that we all naturally treat people fairly without feeling a need to adjust our behaviour based on largely irrelevant factors like skin colour. I guess I lean towards the latter when I put it like that.

Looking at the cover art alone is kind of interesting. The insect guy is just standing there and while the blood nearby suggests something bad going on there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that the insect guy is responsible (especially since he doesn't seem to have blood on him, though maybe I missed it if he does). The other lot are clearly ready for a fight but we don't see who they might be fighting or why. Putting the two together looks kind of like the guys on the right are about to attack the insect guy (or if you reverse them, maybe they're defending him).

Let me know if this is too much of a derail. I'd be interested in discussing it but I know that it can be a touchy subject and I've no intention of causing a fight.

Smeelia said:
Do we want to get into the "racism" discussion regarding Terra Formars? Maybe it'd need a separate thread.

I don't get into the whole racism debate with the show either but there is a character who they label as the pinnacle of mankind. He has yellow hair and blue eyes. Also, I think there were two German characters called Adolf and Eva, too... I always wondered if those things were just coincidences. :lol:

About the artwork. The DVD art looks much better than the Blu Ray one. :?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jatz said:
I always wondered if those things were just coincidences. :lol:
Interesting, maybe they picked up on the reactions and decided to play up to it a bit. It does make me wonder if there's a deliberate theme in the show but the artwork makes people misread it the wrong way (or the right way, I guess).

I'm not confident that I'd enjoy the show but curiosity might make me want to watch it to find out if there is something to all this. At least I'm lazy and easily distracted by cute things so hopefully I won't fall into that trap.

The show also kind of suffered from people hyping it up as the next Attack on Titan, when really it was anything but.

The manga still seems to sell very well though.

Lutga said:
The show also kind of suffered from people hyping it up as the next Attack on Titan, when really it was anything but.

Hasn't that basically been every vaguely action based series since Attack on Titan?

Makes me feel sorry for Anime Ltd. if they paid AoT-type numbers for "Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign", although you'd hope not, that title alone sounds like a stinker. Anyone else wanna the cover has "From the studio behind Attack on Titan" in a font size almost as large as title?

Buzz201 said:
Hasn't that basically been every vaguely action based series since Attack on Titan?
There are definitely some shows that have more than that passing resemblance to AoT. It's the same in any medium, successful thing comes along > people take inspiration from it. Look at video games and think Gears of War on the Xbox 360, or MOBAs in general at the moment.

Terra Formars and Owari no Seraph are probably the two that have most immediately struck me has having structural similarities to AoT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back