Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Artwork on the back of the digipak if the Japanese amarays are anything to go by
Nyani?
A picture of Matilda in the boxart? But she doesn't appear in the opening for unfortunate reasons!
(Incidentally, guess who my favourite Outlaw Star character is.)

Damn, that set looks so good. I've got Outlaw Star on DVD and I haven't even watched it yet, but I'm seriously considering buying this if I can find the money for it somewhere.

The Outlaw Star set looks really nice . I'm only seen the first few episodes , I'll have to go back to the series and watch some more before deciding if I want to buy it .

Makoto Shinkai Blu-ray/DVD Twin Pack

CtncwNCXEAA8Owj.jpg:large

So I assume both movies are on the on BD disc? I mean I get that Voices is short (it's not actually a movie is it?) so it doesn't make much sense giving it an entire BD but seems kinda stupid not to have the name of both movies on the disc art if that's the case. I'm not really a fan of how they've gone about this tbh, guess it saves them money though (then again I'd rather save money by not paying for DVDs I don't want.....).

I quite like the box. I'm still in two minds if I should buy this though, not seen any Shinkai films, dunno if I'd like them.
If you've got a Crunchyroll subscription, you could check out "She and Her Cat" to get a bit of a feel for Shinkai stuff. While he's not directly involved as far as I'm aware, it's short and gives you an idea of his sort of stories.

I'm a big fan of 5cm per second and her cat, but have been a little tepid towards the other stuff (actively disliked Children Who Chase Lost Voices). But the set would maybe be a good jumping off point if you're interested in seeing "Your Name".

Edit: Also feel like I need to drive to Scotland to give Andrew and the team a hug for getting this out!

The place promised in our early years is an excellent film Not seen voices of a distant star yet but I've already got it pre-ordered with HMV. Have to agree with @NoSuprises Children who chase lost voices was very disappointing.

Yeah I find Shinkai's work to be very hit and miss (mostly miss if I'm honest) and I also actively disliked Children Who Chase Lost Voices, was a struggle to get through.

I like the box too but do those cases suggest it's a DVD sized set though? Has AL ever done a DVD sized set?

Yeah I find Shinkai's work to be very hit and miss (mostly miss if I'm honest) and I also actively disliked Children Who Chase Lost Voices, was a struggle to get through.

I like the box too but do those cases suggest it's a DVD sized set though? Has AL ever done a DVD sized set?

I don't think so? At least, not one I can think of.

I'm still in two minds if I should buy this though, not seen any Shinkai films, dunno if I'd like them.
Maybe give The Garden of Words a shot? The story is a fairly okay romance, but it's quite possibly the best looking animated work I've ever seen. His stuff is just stunning to look at. 5cm Per Second isn't affectionately referred to as "5 Wallpapers Per Second" for nothing.

Maybe give The Garden of Words a shot? The story is a fairly okay romance, but it's quite possibly the best looking animated work I've ever seen. His stuff is just stunning to look at. 5cm Per Second isn't affectionately referred to as "5 Wallpapers Per Second" for nothing.

Looking at screenshots, 5cm does look quite nice, although I'll always prefer something more stylised over a realistic approach, so I'm not sure I'd say it's the best looking anime I've ever seen. Still, I may look into both.

I'm a fan of stylised and otherwise different animation styles as much as the next person, but there's something about Shinkai's very-realistic-but-still-anime style I just love.

Endrqpq.gif
SppNNUv.gif

Pre-ordered long long ago.

When I pre-ordered in May 2013 I never imagined I'd be waiting 3 1/2 years. But I'm damned happy it's coming out!

Last edited:
Back