Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

MVM

Chobits: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
8146onaXPSL._SL1500_.jpg
From the New World: Complete Collection [DVD]
81i2axZbCmL._SL1500_.jpg

Man, if that's the legit Chobits cover then that's shocking. With the best will in the world, MVM cover art has been pretty ropey on occasion, but I have to admit this one takes it to a new low.

I hope that Chobits artwork is just a placeholder. It looks like something a 12-year-old "photoshoped" in MS Paint. The images aren't even properly sized and aligned...

I hope that Chobits artwork is just a placeholder. It looks like something a 12-year-old "photoshoped" in MS Paint. The images aren't even properly sized and aligned...

MVM give us dirt cheap releases by minimising changes from the US version. They're welcome to have bad covers as long as they keep up the low prices.

Man, if that's the legit Chobits cover then that's shocking. With the best will in the world, MVM cover art has been pretty ropey on occasion, but I have to admit this one takes it to a new low.

Wow... MVM not even attempting to change funi's 'Anime Classics' cover for Chobits is possibly the laziest artwork I've ever seen!

Haven't MVM always just used the artwork of another foreign licensor, sans their branding, because it's a lot easier to pass through approvals? This is perhaps most noticeable when you compare the spines of MVM's releases, which are really mismatched as opposed to Manga and Anime Limited's, who have their own uniform styles.

While usually not an issue, I have to agree that in this instance, replicating Funimation's design (with slight alterations) hasn't worked out so well. Also, do we know if their release will have an outer slipcover or box, or just be a sleeve in an amaray? Because it will look even worse as an amaray...

In fact, looking at it - isn't the blue border on the front taller than the one on the back? :/

Here, I made the Lain boxart to save everybody time. Paypal me pls.
kRdIbUG.jpg

Actually, the BBFC logo and the MVM logo wouldn't be on the same side of the box, the BBFC on MVM boxes is generally on the left, with Chobits only being different due to placement of the title logo. The MVM logo is also a fairly small and hard to read. Then again, I'm a nitpicky asshole ;)

Haven't MVM always just used the artwork of another foreign licensor, sans their branding, because it's a lot easier to pass through approvals? This is perhaps most noticeable when you compare the spines of MVM's releases, which are really mismatched as opposed to Manga and Anime Limited's, who have their own uniform styles.

While usually not an issue, I have to agree that in this instance, replicating Funimation's design (with slight alterations) hasn't worked out so well. Also, do we know if their release will have an outer slipcover or box, or just be a sleeve in an amaray? Because it will look even worse as an amaray...

In fact, looking at it - isn't the blue border on the front taller than the one on the back? :/
Don't quote me on this as the only anime classics titles I have are Ai Yori Aoshi & Love Hina but they both have reversible clean front covers (without the banner) still has the spine though.
Maybe this MVM release will have the same. But then why have it as the reversible and not the main...

Back