Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

They're a decent way to get the overall plot of each season of GITs - but obviously cut out the 'stand alone' episodes, which are arguably the better element of GITS SAC.

I suppose it depends who you ask. I thought the Stand Alone episodes dragged the whole thing down. A couple were great but they were mostly middling.

I still have the original SSC Blu-ray - haven't watched it in years though.

I see they're doing a double pack of the original GITS + Innocence. I'd be tempted to grab that as I need Innocence on Blu-Ray - but I imagine they're just old transfers, and I'm not really keen to buy the original GITs again on Blu until the subtitle issues that plagued the Steelbook transfer are fixed. It's funny too, as I'm usually super lax about subtitle quality, but they really are some of the worst I've ever seen - still can't believe they used them for the BFI screening of the film earlier this year.

@Lutga The GitS+Innocence double-pack is the 2.0 version of the original film (where they went back and redid a bunch of scenes with hokey CGI), not the original release.

Although that 2.0 version also contains the option to view the original film on it too though, right? Or is it not as good quality as the remaster on the steelbook? I heard it was just an upscale, and not true 'HD' on the old 2.0 Blu-Ray.

Although that 2.0 version also contains the option to view the original film on it too though, right? Or is it not as good quality as the remaster on the steelbook? I heard it was just an upscale, and not true 'HD' on the old 2.0 Blu-Ray.

I went and took a couple of screenshots from the opening sequence, since I own both. The one on the 2.0 BD is definitely of lower quality but probably still watchable if you're not a huge stickler for video quality.

2.0 BD:
Yy5wNd0.jpg

Original film Steelbook BD:
zOa76EC.jpg

The original film is 1080i upscaled. That first screen cap there looks like its from from 2.0, not the upscale. You can tell by the lack of jaggies on it. For the Lucased 2.0 version, there was change in colour timing and a bit of a haze filter applied so it looks a smidge softer overall.

It's not really Lucasing if a reasonably high quality version of the original is widely available, and you aren't preventing it from being re-released.

The original film is 1080i upscaled. That first screen cap there looks like its from from 2.0, not the upscale. You can tell by the lack of jaggies on it. For the Lucased 2.0 version, there was change in colour timing and a bit of a haze filter applied so it looks a smidge softer overall.
The first screen is from the original film upscaled, which is a bonus feature on the 2.0 BD.

The original trilogy did get a poor release, letterbox DVDs with stereo sound ported over from the laserdiscs.

Yeah, but if my understanding was correct, the reason Fox never released the theatricals on Blu-ray is because Lucasfilm (then owned by Lucas) wouldn't let them. Lucas himself physically held up distribution of the original version. Oshii isn't/can't do that, so I'm not sure the two are comparable.

Back