Upcoming Overseas Anime DVD Artwork

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit releases like this make me so glad Manga/Animatsu have supposedly pledged to scrap their BR / DVD combo packs for future releases - silly excuse to charge more for something most people will never use.

As I understand it, adding a DVD is negligible additional cost for the distributor while saving on the costs having to stock and manage two separate products. And it makes their LEs look more full even if you aren't using half of the items, I guess :D

I imagine they only sell a tiny number of these single volume LEs so splitting that across separate DVD/BD listings would make it even more difficult to manage, especially on a title like this where so much is unknown. It's obviously aimed at the female audience but that demographic tends to be slower to adopt BD and harder to market to (since nobody ever does in the west) so I doubt they know how many people out there will be after each format. I hope it does ok - completely understand anyone who is waiting for a more budget-friendly release down the line, though.

R

I do wonder how these Pony Canyon titles do - obviously I imagine the numbers are naturally higher in the States, due to the higher population, and the fact the similarly priced Aniplex of America titles seem to do well too. But they can't be massive either, especially on shows like this, which are hardly major league titles.

At the end of the day, these releases wouldn't get put out if people weren't buying them - but I do find it slightly dispiriting that because the casual market is potentially evaporating in favour of streaming, those 'loyal' few that remain buying physical essentially have to subsidise the releases by paying more (though I suppose you could argue that no-one is forcing them to buy them, either).

Pre-order Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! Box 1 before June 30th and you get this:

742617600050.jpg

Super-deformed Battle Lovers character cards illustrated by the chief animation director, Yumiko Hara!

Meanwhile over at Yuki Yuna land:

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Box 3 [Collector's Edition]
Release Date: August 10th | Region: ABC | Format: Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $89.98

bd_3_tenkai.jpg

Technical Specs:
- Subtitles: English and Spanish
- Episodes: 09-12
- Disc count: 3 (1 BD, 1 DVD, 1 CD)

Special Content:
- TV Commercial Collection
- Promotional Video

Special Content (Premium Edition Exclusive):
- Exclusive Mega Tall size "DODEKA" Disc Case
- Exclusive “PONYCAN US” Plastic Slipcase
- Double-sided cover illustrated by BUNBUN
- Deluxe 24-page booklet
- 2 Collectible Wall Pin-up Pictures illustrated by Takahiro Sakai
- Special Soundtrack outtakes CD!
Pre-order Yuki Yuna is a Hero Box 3 before June 30th and you get this:

742617600081.jpg

Collection of ten sheets of key frame drawing reproductions showing Itsuki Inubozaki transforming into a Hero!

Rui said:
Much better than FUNimation having the streaming rights and the home video version going to nobody!
And much better than Funimation having both, so I'm gonna say close to ideal.

Boueibu was cool, but I'm not sure I need a special edition of it.

Lutga said:
I have to admit releases like this make me so glad Manga/Animatsu have supposedly pledged to scrap their BR / DVD combo packs for future releases - silly excuse to charge more for something most people will never use.

I don't think cost of the BD/DVD combo packs for consumers was the reason. The actual extra cost isn't a prohibitively large amount. I could have gotten a BD/DVD combo of a show released on BD here for a couple of pounds more. There are BD/DVD combos for under £30.

They used examples such as Tiger and Bunny, which was BD/DVD but split over four parts which hare now available for a total of £62 on Amazon but initially had an RRP of £135 but was available for about £100 until recent reductions.

BD/DVD combos do not always have to cost this much. However, when they do, it is difficult to justify dropping them completely when some BD/DVDs are quite reasonable.

However, if a releasing only a BD as opposed to to a combo will allow companies to release shows with more freedom with the release such as less parts (Kill la Kill), then it makes sense.

Newer, clearer image for the upcoming release:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Complete Season 1
Release Date: July 15th | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $49.98

91MOs1LMV5L._SL1500_.jpg

Technical Specs:
- Subtitles: English
- Episodes: 01-26
- Disc count: TBA

Special Content:
TBA

And also updated images for two more Sentai titles:

The Familiar of Zero F - Complete Collection
Release Date: July 14th | Region: A | Format: Blu-ray (also released for DVD) | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98

Familiar_of_Zero_F_BD_1.jpg
Familiar_of_Zero_F_BD_2.jpg

Technical Specs:
- Episodes: 01-12
- Disc count: 1 (1 BD)

Special Content:
- Clean Opening and Ending

Is the Order a Rabbit? - Complete Collection
Release Date: July 14th | Region: A | Format: Blu-ray (also released for DVD) | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98

Is_the_Order_a_Rabbit_BD_1.jpg
Is_the_Order_a_Rabbit_BD_2.jpg

Technical Specs:
- Episodes: 01-12
- Disc count: 1 (1 BD)

Special Content:
- Clean Opening and Ending

Since Aku No Hana is getting a release in Germany, I wonder if it'll ever come to the UK. The show bombed everywhere, but even-though it will never be finished, it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

I'm interested in hearing the dub for Jojo, but as always it ultimately falls in to the "no Bluray, no buy" category for me. I'm not going to buy an HD native show on DVD.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Looking more and more likely that ugly JoJo box is going to be the final one.
Is there any particular reason why it wouldn't be? I'm with you - it doesn't look the best, but it gets the job done and shows the protagonists of both arcs.

I thought it might have just been placeholder art. It does get the job done, but JoJo is so much more stylish than the box. As someone else said on here, it makes it look kind of like a kids show. Also, I really want to be with you with the whole No Blu Ray, no buy but I want to support JoJo in the west as much as humanly possible so I'll definitely be buying a copy.

There is a difference between slapstick violence and quite visceral violence. If I'd seen stuff like that in a cartoon when I was a kid, I would have freaked out. I dunno, maybe I was just a wimpy kid...

Don't forget that there's undoubtedly a marked cultural difference between what would be acceptable for a younger audience in Japan to what would be acceptable here.

I originally came here to post the cover of a pirate Jojo set that had much nicer artwork, but annoyingly I can't find it now. In any case, I feel it's one of the few situations where one of those terrible shiny foil/hologram effects would actually be appropriate.

JoJo was running in Weekly Jump not just at the time of Stardust Crusaders, but all the way up until Steel Ball Run. It's definitely a kids series, although Prof makes a fair point about what constitutes "for kids" in different cultures.

Professor Irony said:
I originally came here to post the cover of a pirate Jojo set that had much nicer artwork
Well, obviously, if he was dressed as a pirate.

Looks like both of these might arrive from United Publications next week if we're lucky, TRSI have theirs now.

tkTEplm.jpg
WwwFoXn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back