UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Play.com sent me an email today which had lots of offers on Manga UK boxsets and BluRays. Mainly Dragonball boxsets but they were less than £20 each.

Yeah that's right, I'm for the most part stuck being a budget b*tch due to paying a mortgage (3 years down, 22 to go :p).
If there's nothing else out at the same time as AoT that I want, then I can of course afford both parts seeing as I didnt even blink when pre-ordering Durarara!!! and AoT parts 1 and 2 are gona basically equal that aren't they :)

I'm not really a stinge with my anime but HMV prices for example are ridiculous. £40 for an anime that online retails at £20 if you know where to look, that's where I'm a stinge :p

It's a great show. I picked it up when it was DOTW a while back. I watched it having not read the manga for years, and I think it works very well as a standalone thing.

Great, I think I will then.

Do you have any other recommendations? I want to show her Ouran when she's older, but can't think of anything else that is suitable for a young girl - I was watching things like DBZ at her age and she's a bit more girly than I was lol

Ooooooh tempted! I still like the younger animes despite my age. Hell I have a few Sailor Moon episodes on my tablet to watch on the plane :3

GolGotha said:

Do you have any other recommendations? I want to show her Ouran when she's older, but can't think of anything else that is suitable for a young girl - I was watching things like DBZ at her age and she's a bit more girly than I was lol

Ah My Goddess
Fairy Tail
K-On!
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hanasaku Iroha
Gosick
Azumanga Daioh
R.O.D The TV

GolGotha said:

Fruit Baskets is a top choice for sure, very cute!

For other options adding to what 'just passing through' wrote:
Kamisama Kiss
Angelic Layer
Squid Girl

st_owly said:
How old is she?

I'm pretty sure she's 10. Haha, that sounds terrible that I can't remember!

Just Passing Through said:
Ah My Goddess
Fairy Tail
K-On!
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hanasaku Iroha
Gosick
Azumanga Daioh
R.O.D The TV

Thankies! I had planned on getting her brother FMA & Fairy Tail, so it would be nice if they'd watch it together. I have a few of them, but will check out Gosick and Hanasaku Iroha :)

Dannielle said:
Fruit Baskets is a top choice for sure, very cute!

For other options adding to what 'just passing through' wrote:
Kamisama Kiss
Angelic Layer
Squid Girl

Thankies! I have picked up Squid Girl actually, as that looked quite cute.
Never actually watched Angelic Layer, but will check it out along with Kamisama Kiss.

-Danielle- said:
Yeah that's right, I'm for the most part stuck being a budget b*tch due to paying a mortgage (3 years down, 22 to go :p).
If there's nothing else out at the same time as AoT that I want, then I can of course afford both parts seeing as I didnt even blink when pre-ordering Durarara!!! and AoT parts 1 and 2 are gona basically equal that aren't they :)

I'm not really a stinge with my anime but HMV prices for example are ridiculous. £40 for an anime that online retails at £20 if you know where to look, that's where I'm a stinge :p

I'd never buy anything from a shop either to be honest, I know shops have overheads and all but it's not worth the large price jump for buying Anime there.

Seems the best bet for Anime is to pre-order as soon as things go up on Amazon, they often start lower than they should or jump around a little letting you use their pre-order pledge to get the best deal.

--

As for deal of the week, Fruits Basket is a must. I've not finished the Manga yet but the Anime's handling of it's last arc had far more impact than it did in the Manga.

Kamisama Kiss is a good shout for a 10 year old. Coincidentally, it has the same director as Furuba. Cardcaptor Sakura could be good, but acquiring on DVD is a little difficult. Looking through my collection, I'd recommend Pretear as well. It's an ADV release, but CEX has each of the 4 singles for not very much money.

10% off DVD/Blu-ray pre-orders at Zavvi, and they were already cheaper than Amazon for most upcoming anime releases. I just got Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns for £13.49 a piece (£17.75 each at Amazon, though it was less than that at one point). Usual caveat applies: Zavvi ain't always the quickest.

fabricatedlunatic said:
10% off DVD/Blu-ray pre-orders at Zavvi, and they were already cheaper than Amazon for most upcoming anime releases. I just got Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns for £13.49 a piece (£17.75 each at Amazon, though it was less than that at one point). Usual caveat applies: Zavvi ain't always the quickest.
I recently preordered Princess Mononoke & The Cat Returns from Zavvi using that code as well. As far I am concerned I don't mind waiting a little longer if it works out cheaper (it is why I have never bothered with Amazon Prime).

the Zavvi code now applies to Gurren Lagann standard blu ray collection, which is currently £38.95 so with discount brings it down to £35.05 at the moment its £58 on Amazon (cheapest its ever been on there is £45) so pretty damn good deal if you don't wanna splash on the ultimate :p

It might end up like zavvi. Once they had really low prices but then they have sent emails to people saying that was wrong and that theirs orders were being cancelled. That show is worth way more than that so i dont mind paying more actually lol

Elaniel said:
Perhaps a misprice?

Base.com have Psycho Pass Part 1 Blu-Ray at £19.99
http://www.base.com/buy/product/psycho- ... nb3528.htm

Shows as same price as DVD so may be a whoopsie as Part 2 is much more.
They do not charge until dispatch either.

Base.com are normally the cheapest for pre-orders. They are normally slow at delivery as I believe they ship from a different European country

I think they just have the rrp wrong. They are selling part 2 at the same price and that has a higher rrp.
I brought Magi - The Labyrinth Of Magic: Season 1 - Part 2 from them at the same price and that has the same rrp.

Back