UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

You forgot Beck and Black Lagoon in your exclusions list.

I might pick this up at some point; having read the manga, I do see the second series as largely a wasted opportunity, the first series however at least is a largely relaxing, fun watch, that just so happens to feature supernatural creatures.

Oh and Nana Mizuki/Rie Kugiyama (in one of the roles where she isn't voice acting a Tsundere). Always a plus.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Tind said:
Amazon.com have some great prices for Blu-ray - but be aware that customs will be all over this one. Any savings you make will be swallowed up by them and Royal Mail.

I order it to Hungary where there are no customs for packadges outside of the European Union until the item's value is under 10.000 HUF (which is ~29 GBP and ~44 USD). The total cost (with shipping) of this item is 41,5 USD, so technically it is still a green light :D

Tind said:
I order it to Hungary where there are no customs for packadges outside of the European Union until the item's value is under 10.000 HUF (which is ~29 GBP and ~44 USD). The total cost (with shipping) of this item is 41,5 USD, so technically it is still a green light :D
Ah, sorry, I just assumed you were in the UK. Hungary's import limit is about twice what the UK's is ;_:

A tenner plus postage (plus a few quid for a decent case) for Princess Tutu? That might be enough for me to overcome my "magical girl" phobia. All Your Music have similarly dropped the prices of quite a few Sentai 12-13 episode sets that were later re-released as complete collections. To Love-Ru, You're Under Arrest S2 and S3, Clannad, Ghost Hound, and Hell Girl S2 are £7-10 each. Too lazy to link.

Arrrrgh, Paranoia Agent arrived and the outer discs were loose in the fat pack with some visible damage :( Damn this type of case!!!

Have dropped MVM an email to see if I can get them swapped or exchanged, loose discs and visible damage is the pretty worst thing that you can get with DVDs on arrival :(

Lawrence said:
Nice find, Teo.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Rosario Vampire for the life of me, if you must, you're probably best reading the manga.

First series isn't too bad, and is moderately close to the beginning of the manga, although there's more focus on the ecchi.
Manga IS way better though.

alexrose1uk said:
Arrrrgh, Paranoia Agent arrived and the outer discs were loose in the fat pack with some visible damage :( Damn this type of case!!!

Have dropped MVM an email to see if I can get them swapped or exchanged, loose discs and visible damage is the pretty worst thing that you can get with DVDs on arrival :(
*gasp* Blasphemy!

One of mine was loose, aswell. Weren't any visible damage, though..

Aye, sad panda. Hopefully MVM will be as good as last time I had an issue and agree to exchange the set or discs.
Disc 1 isn't too bad, when you put Disc 4 into the light though it does have quite a few marks :(

Paradox295 said:
alexrose1uk said:

*gasp* Blasphemy!

Same with My Disc 1 & Disc 4, Have to check them to see if they play OK

TheLasersharkKH said:
Paradox295 said:
alexrose1uk said:

*gasp* Blasphemy!

Same with My Disc 1 & Disc 4, Have to check them to see if they play OK

They've once again done me happy. I got quick apologetic email stating they do check them, but these things can happen transit.
They've apparently organised to post me a replacement Disc 1/4 (I'd guess in PVC cases) and told me to just throw the scratched discs away when the new ones arrive.

Can't complain with that; it's far more likely to be R.M's fault the discs ended up loose, and as long as they post those replacements to the right address haha. I'm quite liking these guys, some good deals on those once a week, and the customer service is pretty good, which isn't something I can say for the likes of Play.

(Not to mention, judging by recent History, if this'd been Manga, they'd probably have just gone 'Oh, well you should have paid more and bought it in a shop then!')

Won't be picking up Aquarion though simply as I didn't like it very much!!

teonzo said:
Just Passing Through said:

Is this worth?

Teo

It's worth...

But not too much more than that. It does for the mecha genre what Buso Renkin did for the shonen genre, send it up with tongue in cheek, and with a good nature. I like it better than Gurren Logan, Laggggan, Logjam, whatever. GL had a little too much post modern irony for my taste. Aquarian just takes the usual mecha tropes and times ten them.

But it has got a Yoko Kanno soundtrack, and it's good enough for them to be making a new series now.

Aquarion, for my money, is a neat enough show to justify spendinga tenner. It does some interesting things with its cast, and it looks (some wobbly CG aside) really rather nice.

However, it has a TRULY naff ending, and there's far too much shouting for my liking.

(Yeah. I said that. Too much shouting.)

Interesting that the comparison is made with Gurren Lagann. Coz I'd watch that a million times over Aquarion.

HdE said:
Aquarion, for my money, is a neat enough show to justify spendinga tenner. It does some interesting things with its cast, and it looks (some wobbly CG aside) really rather nice.

However, it has a TRULY naff ending, and there's far too much shouting for my liking.

(Yeah. I said that. Too much shouting.)

Interesting that the comparison is made with Gurren Lagann. Coz I'd watch that a million times over Aquarion.

GL not with the shouting? :eek:

Back