UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Like Smeelia says, I'm not sure you can really go wrong picking any of them (just pick a cover that looks interesting to you! I think the only disingenuous cover is Whisper of the Heart's; as the scene depicted is representative of around 1% of the film).

I wasn't too taken with the Yamadas or Pom Poko, but if you're taking suggestions; Kiki is probably my favourite. Again, like Smeelia, the more grounded in reality films like Whisper of the Heart/Only Yesterday/From Up On Poppy Hill weren't far off top spot for me either (I bought the soundtrack for Poppy Hill's breakfast song alone...).

Last edited:
Like Smeelia says, I'm not sure you can really go wrong picking any of them (just pick a cover that looks interesting to you! I think the only disingenuous cover is Whisper of the Heart's; as the scene depicted is representative of around 1% of the film).

I wasn't too taken with the Yamadas or Pom Poko, but if you're taking suggestions; Kiki is probably my favourite. Again, like Smeelia, the more grounded in reality films like Whisper of the Heart/Only Yesterday/From Up On Poppy Hill weren't far off top spot for me either (I bought the soundtrack for Poppy Hill's breakfast song alone...).

I see. I've only seen the three Ghibli movies I listed above, and all of them have had a fairly substantial fantasy element in them. Whilst I do find the fantasy bits brilliant, it would be interesting to see a Ghibli film where they're downplayed a bit more.

Whisper of the Heart is a must, in my opinion. Only Yesterday is a personal favourite. Other Ghibli movies that I enjoy are Nausicaa (you can even get the oversized manga!), Castle in the Sky and Princess Kaguya. Kiki is pretty good too and Zavvi has the steelbook for £9.99. :)

All manga and light novels are half price on Book Walker(upto the total value of ¥10,000) using the code black16.

Just a tip to anyone using this, don't try and use it on a tablet. I tried to buy something using it on my tablet, and PayPal said I had to do the transaction on a desktop for some reason. When I tried to use it again, it said I had already used it, so it wouldn't let me use it again, even though the transaction didn't go through.

Just a tip to anyone using this, don't try and use it on a tablet. I tried to buy something using it on my tablet, and PayPal said I had to do the transaction on a desktop for some reason. When I tried to use it again, it said I had already used it, so it wouldn't let me use it again, even though the transaction didn't go through.
Sorry to hear that :(. Went through the website myself and got the first 5 volumes of Drrr for €19. Pity the drm is hard to crack as I would rather read them on my Kindle than my Nexus 10. Can't really complain at that price though.

The website seems to be patchy atm, must be getting hammered with requests.

just wondering what sites that ship outside EU i should be keeping an eye on for region B friendily titles ie shipping to AUS

wanted to get the outlaw star box but amazons UKs price is on the high side ...............

cheers yea going direct thro AL might be the best option no idea what they charge for shipping tho and probbly making a few orders over the holidays should have metioned tho zavvi and amazon are the main sites that im aware of for shipping outside EU and UK ie MVMs site as well ( or tho iv never used them) just trying to figure out what other sites there are - base.com seems to be only good for games it also helps if they remove VAT

so yea just trying to complie a comprehensive list for myself and others pity tesco dont ship

I had this problem as well, so I emailed customer support. The coupon locks for your account once you apply it to a basket, but if you don't complete the transaction it eventually unlocks automatically. If you tried earlier and couldn't get it, if you give it a few hours you should be able to use the code again. I'm not sure when the offer is on till, but if it's still running you should have another go on your desktop before it finishes.

It was active for me by the time I woke up, so 8 hrs or so should be enough time.

Back