UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Kei-kun said:
http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home.php?cat=1210&sort=title&sort_direction=0&page=1

Currently selling a few MVM titles at interesting prices. Bought two of them myself.
They're doing clearence of thinpacks by the sound of it, as they move over to bricks.
Those aren't too unusual for the 13 ep stuff, but the 26 ep things are normaly never discounted anywhere.

Axelmusic is currently running a three day 1c shipping per item sale. Of course, day one is almost over ;)

They ship from Europe so it's a good chance to grab some imports for those niggling shows which won't come out here, without worrying about customs charges.

R

Hmm, I just ordered a couple of things from them that are on backorder, wonder if I can get them cancelled and reordered to save on the shipping. ^^;

I'd like to order BlazBlue: Continuum Shift from Axel but I don't like how they charge your card straight away.

On the subject of Axel, anyone who missed the Genshiken 2 Premium Collection misprice at DVD Pacific might be interested to know that it's also mispriced there. With free shipping that's quite a bargain, though personally I'm happy with the manga.

Reaper gI said:
Kei-kun said:
[anime-on-line] Currently selling a few MVM titles at interesting prices. Bought two of them myself.
They're doing clearence of thinpacks by the sound of it, as they move over to bricks.

"Berserk and Texhnolyze are currently the brick box set's but we will be making them the 'fat pack' version later in the year. We currently have Gungrave in both brick and fat pack version."

Emailed them as I don't have space for full-size sets. The above reply doesn't cover the other stock, but looks like I'll be buying them now before they upsize (is Berserk getting a re-release? I know Texhnolyze is).

Edit: Uh... they've now been delivered and are all thin-packs. Can't complain though, got them two days after ordering and it's still easier on the shelf-space.

ilmaestro said:
Hmm, I just ordered a couple of things from them that are on backorder, wonder if I can get them cancelled and reordered to save on the shipping. ^^;
I actually asked them about this and they offered to either let me cancel and reorder, or just issue me a credit token for the next order I make. Pretty good customer service imo.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Was just browsing United Publications when I saw this:

Fantastic Children Complete Collection - £7.00 + £3.50 P&P

That is an insane price for a GREAT show. And it's the Beez release, the same one I have, which includes the six singles in an artbox.

Ooh, that's cheap enough for me to take a chance on...

Not the show, but giving my card details to an e-tailer that I have never used before. Judging by reviews, Fantastic Children appears to be marmite, either brilliant or naff. I'll take a 50/50 chance over bland and average...

Just Passing Through said:
Judging by reviews, Fantastic Children appears to be marmite, either brilliant or naff. I'll take a 50/50 chance over bland and average...
Don't worry about the opinions of others; mine is all you need.

(In the absence of Aion, someone needs to assume the role of Chief Arrogant Wanker.)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Judging by reviews, Fantastic Children appears to be marmite, either brilliant or naff. I'll take a 50/50 chance over bland and average...

(In the absence of Aion, someone needs to assume the role of Chief Arrogant Wanker.)

You're only doing half a job then. As well as trumpeting your own inherent genius, you must also ladle a torrent of witty and erudite abuse in my direction for doubting said genius in the first place. :p

fabricatedlunatic said:

You're only doing half a job then. As well as trumpeting your own inherent genius, you must also ladle a torrent of witty and erudite abuse in my direction for doubting said genius in the first place. :p

Plus there's not nearly enough disdain. You need to behave like an aristrocrat who's just run over a peasant, a sort of "how dare such lowly folk splash blood on my new carriage"

Got the Fantastic Children set today. Complete with artbox. Woot.

And obligatory floating disc... unwoot...

Checked the discs and can see why people can have a problem with the series without even going into the content. Discs authored by a monkey!

Only need the credits once, so stick them at the back of the disc. Crunch grind with each episode as they jump forward to the credits, jump back to the episode, jump forward to the credits, jump elsewhere to the previews...

Someone thinks Play All means watch the episodes through like a movie, so they leave out the credits, but only the opening credits. All the end credits and previews still play, so it's nothing like a movie, and you're left wondering where the opening credits are.

And if you watch with the English subtitles on, they will for no reason whatsoever change to French after the layer change.

Muppets!

Still, £10.50 for a 26 episode series... I can live with the muppetry.

Hmm, the English/French subititle thing is odd, as is the omission of the opening credits when using "Play All". This is what happened when I watched my discs (taken from another post):

I've noticed that Fantastic Children actually defaults to Japanese with subtitles for the opening, to English for the episode, turns the subtitles back on during the ending, then reverts to English during the next episode preview

In the end I got around this by using the menu (rather than the remote) to set the language to Japanese and subtitles to English. Other than that, I didn't have any problems. Perhaps different players have different types of grief with Beez discs?

Had a look at the discs using DVD Shrink. It isn't as if the credits are only on there once. All four (or five) sets of openings and closings are present, but they are shunted together at the end of the programme.

So the disc looks like, menus... episodes... previews... credits... extras, and in playback it's hopping back and forth.

Incidentally, if you choose the French menus at the start, you get a different set of trailers to look at for some shows not licenced for release in the UK.

Incosistent audio and subtitle track numbers?
e.g. it's listing English audio as track 1 during episodes but Japanese during the OP (not dubtitled right?)
Similar with subs as the OP and ED may have english subs when playing it dubbed, so track 1 and 2 should be english sub, where for the rest of the ep it's only track 1 (track 2 being french)

Telling your player to select Japanese audio and English subtitles (by language, not track number, would fix that)

Hell at least they're not as bad as Bandai Ent disks *shudder*

Back