UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Some good bargains there. R.O.D. The TV and Gun X Sword are two of the most entertaining shows you'll ever watch, and a steal at £20 each. Man, I really want the R.O.D. art box but won't double-dip just for that. Probably.

The £17.95 boxsets the Bastard Bad Guy linked to earlier are great value as well.

I might take this Gun X Sword one them... I wasn't paying much attention to it before, but you're the second person to tell me it's a good show.

chaos said:
I might take this Gun X Sword one them... I wasn't paying much attention to it before, but you're the second person to tell me it's a good show.

Do it, man. It's got a ton of great characters, well animated action, lots of giant robot parodies, comedy that's actually funny, and the best revenge story I've seen in anime - none of that whiny pacifist bollocks here. The first third of the series is deceptively light-hearted; what follows are plot twists and one tense showdown after another until the hugely satisfying ending.

Oh, and Fasalina's the sexiest character in anime. Srsly.

Durial666 said:
http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home.php?cat=958

MVM box sets at reduced prices, some very competitive prices in there. Buy straight from MVM to help them out.
Some very tempting offers in there! :D

zeldafreak said:
chaos said:
good prices, but isn't it above the import duty?

Ah yes, the dreaded import tax. Is it still £18? been a while since I imported from america.
My local office told me it was £32 earlier this year. Although I doubt there's a set value - they just dish them out when they want to. 'Tis the Government after all. I once got hit for an item under £10.

The VAT threshold is £18 or £36 for a gift. Duty used to be £18 and was charged on value + postage costs, so sub £18 items could still get charged. Duty is now payable on items valued over £120 or so. Its linked to the euro so changes.

Ryu Shoji said:
zeldafreak said:
chaos said:

Ah yes, the dreaded import tax. Is it still £18? been a while since I imported from america.
My local office told me it was £32 earlier this year. Although I doubt there's a set value - they just dish them out when they want to. 'Tis the Government after all. I once got hit for an item under £10.

■Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters. See paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
■If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
■Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.
The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

■basic value of goods, plus
■postage, packing and insurance, plus
■any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged.

So NB that it's the price including postage costs that's used for that £18.
That may be where you go caught out.

Reaper gI said:
Ryu Shoji said:
zeldafreak said:
chaos said:

■Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters. See paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
■If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
■Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.
The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

■basic value of goods, plus
■postage, packing and insurance, plus
■any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged.

So NB that it's the price including postage costs that's used for that £18.
That may be where you go caught out.

Why the toilet waters?

At least Royal Mail post a note and ask you to collect it, couriers demand money on the door. Which I'm gonna hate, as I had to pay £60 to import Pokémon White xD

Ryu Shoji said:
Why the toilet waters?

At least Royal Mail post a note and ask you to collect it, couriers demand money on the door. Which I'm gonna hate, as I had to pay £60 to import Pokémon White xD
Excise duty, same as all perfume.
Sometimes it's not counted as being perfume, it's a "NB it is included this time" type note.
As regards to fees from couriers etc. Royal Mail do appear to be the cheapest.

Not really, DHL just charge a couple of pound per shipment, FedEx about £4.50 although they can charge more, Royal Mail is cheaper than ParcelForce or UPS (I think) but still way more expensive than they should be.

Back