UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I paid £65 for my Eva tin, and I'm glad I did because it was the original one with a nice fold out digipack inside instead of multiple thinpack cases like the current incarnation.

It did always strike me as a very odd move on ADV's part to never release a budget version of what must be one of their most well known properties in the UK though. Especially with the R1 thinpack available to import (and for under £25 during the height of the strong pound last year).

ayase said:
I paid £65 for my Eva tin, and I'm glad I did because it was the original one with a nice fold out digipack inside instead of multiple thinpack cases like the current incarnation.

It did always strike me as a very odd move on ADV's part to never release a budget version of what must be one of their most well known properties in the UK though. Especially with the R1 thinpack available to import (and for under £25 during the height of the strong pound last year).

see i only paid £45 for my Eva tin (its the same you have by the looks of things quite a nice set) was a shock as well as it was on Ebay brand new and wasn't fake :p

Sorry to de-rail, but another on Aion's list that caught my eye was 'Noir'. Anyone seen it or maybe point me in the direction of a review?

AH, Chaos, thanks for the link. Stupid, but I keep forgetting there's a whole section of reviews on here. I normally just read the forum. That does sound quite cool though, so thanks for the link! 8)

*runs away to look through more reviews*

Gettin back to Eva, I just noticed Amazon also have it marked at £48.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neon-Genesis-Ev ... 638&sr=8-1

There's a pretty scathing review relating to the fact this is apparently in 4:3 ratio which means some of the shots are not framed correctly? (Bits missing from either side of the screen?) Can anyone confirm this? I'd be watching it on a widescreen.

Cheers (again!)

Kaede

Kaede said:
There's a pretty scathing review relating to the fact this is apparently in 4:3 ratio which means some of the shots are not framed correctly? (Bits missing from either side of the screen?) Can anyone confirm this? I'd be watching it on a widescreen.
That reviewer, as another Amazon customer has correctly identified, is talking out of his ****. Eva was produced in 4:3 aspect ratio. There is no 16:9 version unless you decide to watch it in the wrong ratio on your widescreen TV.

Evangelion was filmed in 4:3 ratio. Listen not to that eejit.

One benefit the UK collection has over its US counterpart is that it includes the booklets, which provide some useful information.

Said eejit is probably getting it confused with Death and Rebirth, and End of Evangelion.

Death took footage from the episodes, cropped it to 1.85:1, and added new widescreen footage as well, whereas Rebirth and End Of Evangelion were made in 1.85:1 from the get go.

Madlax was a solid enough, 7-8/10 series. Very slow, poorly executed action, excellent music, likeable characters and a decent story. Madlax and Noir are supposed be one and the same; made by the same studio and all.

It must be possible for a series that aired in 4:3 to be released in widescreen. Code Geass aired in 4:3 on TV and got 16:9 DVD releases. I know sod all about this but I'd guess it's down to laziness rather than it being impossible to make Eva widescreen.

As for the booklets, the R1 platinum releases are identical to the R2 platinum releases. Same sleeves, same inner case and the same booklet inside. I don't know about the R1 thinpack set, though.

Most of the sets are probably gone now. I'd assume that, once an ADV title goes OOS, it's over - ADV UK are, after all, dead.

Aion said:
It must be possible for a series that aired in 4:3 to be released in widescreen. Code Geass aired in 4:3 on TV and got 16:9 DVD releases. I know sod all about this but I'd guess it's down to laziness rather than it being impossible to make Eva widescreen.
That's because Geass will have been animated in widescreen and then cropped to 4:3 for TV broadcast, but I'm stumped as to why they would do that if it's true, everyone has widescreen TV's these days. Eva however was animated in 4:3 (as were most TV series until very recently) so the extra bits at the side don't exist. They would have to be created, which would probably be harder and less cost effective than just re-animating the whole series.

Aion said:
As for the booklets, the R1 platinum releases are identical to the R2 platinum releases. Same sleeves, same inner case and the same booklet inside. I don't know about the R1 thinpack set, though.
The singles have the booklets, yes. But I understand that neither the R1 tin nor thinpak includes them.

As for the aspect ratio thing, one recent example is k-ON. It was originally broadcast in 4:3 standard defintion with widescreen HD versions airing a few weeks later. Why? No idea.

ADV UK are very much alive, although they are currently running on repeat.

All that they have are the existing licences, which they are re-releasing in boxset form. Considering the warehouse plunder that occurred when the roof fell in, it's fair to assume that new stock is being created for those boxsets, and they haven't hired a chimp to go through old single cases and remove the discs to put them into m-lock cases.

However, if a series was acquired with Sojitz money, then it's a fair chance that licence is gone. Those are shows that won't be reprinted, repressed or repackaged any time soon. So once all of Utawawhatzit, Chevy D'Eon, and all those Kurau,Wallflower, Red Garden singles are gone, as well as AMG S2V1, you won't ever see them again.

EDIT: Except Guyver, which Manga will be boxsetting later this year.

You see, there's a reason why my card got defrauded and I had to cancel it this week. It knew there was a sale coming and it didn't want to be used. By the time I get my replacement card, the sale will be over, or the stock will have dried up.

The Patlabor films suck ****, but the prices are great.

Play have the Planetes sets for £13.99 each, and probably others. No-one has paid for them in a long time and they clearly want rid of all old anime.

Edit: **** off, keyboard.

WHR Box Sets 1-2, Planetes Box Sets 1-2 and Cowboy Bebop sets 1-2 are all £13.99. All are also OOS.

I ordered the Planetes and WHR sets, despite me owning R1 sets already. Cheap art boxes FTW.

Edit 2: **** YOU, KEYBOARD! JUST **** OFF!!!!!!!!!1

They also have Gunbuster 2 for £7.

I'm not sure why when I hated the second movie and didn't think a lot of the first, but I've put in an order for the LE Patlabor set. LE + cheap - me buy.

I'm half tempted to buy Planetes. Those boxes are infinitely more attractive than my ugly Anime Legends brick. But if I do buy anything it'll most likely be WHR, since I don't own it and haven't seen it. The Patlabor boxes are things of beauty.

Ye be warned: it's a straight up 7/10 series, though it is an entertaining one. If you like to see anime with stories and not just an episodic 'mutant of the week' series, with some genetics rubbish thrown in, then your money would be better spent on the future DtB releases. The MAL rating is accurate, for once.

...then again, you don't get art boxes with DtB.

I'm doubtful Play will manage to send most of the stuff, unless the OOS thing is incorrect. These are clearance prices, and if they don't have stock... well, you get the idea. The only reason I've put in near enough £100 in orders is because I doubt the stuff will be sent.

It's a shame I paid £60 for the CB sets many a moon ago. That would be worth £28, with me me not owning the R1 set and all.

Back