UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Akira and Cowboy Bebop soundtracks £4.80 saved.
I was going to get this Neon Genesis Evangelion complete series plus 5 movies thing for £20 before researching it (it sounded too good to be true) and finding it was a bootleg. The cheapest Platinum Collection was in Australia so the saving would have been wiped out by the postage.

They'e not worth a penny. You can download better copies illegally and the license holders are still getting the same (sweet fanny adams). Heck even if you buy an official one 2nd hand it's the same, not that Anno deserves the money anyway, he has extreme xenophobia when it comes to foreign currencies, even if it was the western world that saved Evangelion & made it the success it is today.
Usually with bootlegs nowadays the disks are poorly encoded in the ancient and inefficient mpeg 2 & the slightest movement on screen leads to a blocky mess.

Gone are the days when the market was flooded with good quality bootlegs.

Aaaah, damn that ebay code. It's 6pm for you, and for us in Germany it's only good until 5pm. When I noticed that I so quickly hurried home from work (where ebay is firewalled) and had literal 5 minutes to scramble together a bunch of things. Well, got a couple of manga. Would have liked to add more to the basket, but with just 20 seconds left, there was nothing to be done...

I really need a new bookcase, wish I had thought of that tbh. I mean I don't have much anime but I don't have much shelving either and I've hit the point that I'm sticking stuff flat on top of other stuff and it bothers me lol.

Not enough, considering I just ordered the deluxe hardback of Battle Angel Alita Vol. 1 not hours before this sale started and could have saved myself about fifteen quid.

Not enough, considering I just ordered the deluxe hardback of Battle Angel Alita Vol. 1 not hours before this sale started and could have saved myself about fifteen quid.
I'm torn, I do like a physical book, but prefer paperback. The whole set on Comixology is only £10 more than one of the Deluxe editions, but I don't have a tablet only a phone. Just tested the PS4 browser and it works mostly, but seemed stuck in the 2 page mode (maybe because it was a free comic I tried). Hmmm.

I've always been a bit dubious of digital comics & manga having bought some in the (admittedly fairly distant) past that were very low-res or lossy, but having recently bought a couple from Kodansha, their digital copies do seem very high quality.

Personally, I like to read my Kodansha manga from Comixology on my Apple iPad© Mini with Retina Display®, preferably while enjoying a nice cup of coffee from my Lavazza A Modo Mio® coffee machine.

I like reading manga on a tablet, but 2000AD books just don't work unless they're in proper paperback. It's down to the original comic being oversized compared to other stuff.

I like reading manga on a tablet, but 2000AD books just don't work unless they're in proper paperback. It's down to the original comic being oversized compared to other stuff.

Agh - man. In my line of work, every once in a while, I'll be asked to format pages to those dimensions. The number of folks who ask for it and think all comic books are presented at that aspect ratio is quite surprising.

Some days, I really wish comics could get their own dedicated e-reader devices. Something that would support multiple different page formats with massive storage built in. Why that hasn't happened yet is a bit of mystery to me.

Brought Vol 1 of BAA. The Comixology App works well on the phone. A double tap zooms into the frame (doesn't work on every manga) and a tap then moves on to the next frame. Another double tap zooms out again then a tap turns the page (if zoomed in the page turns without zooming out)
On the PS4 browser you can do the same, but you have to use the menu to change the view and zoomed into a frame on a 42" screen doesn't look great. You can do one page fit to the width and scroll up and down to read or take the option off and see the full page or choose 2 pages which fit nicely on the screen.
The only problem I had with the app was in the checkout it said set up payment method, this took me to Amazon where I signed in and it said it was set up. I went back to the checkout and it still said no payment method setup. So I went to the website and signed in, I then had to find the book again and put it in the checkout again (despite being there on the app) and went to pay, but it said the method was invalid! This came with a message saying it only works for amazon.com! (not mentioned when setting it up on the app) So I paid for it with PayPal.

Back