UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Some nice bargains there for anyone willing to take the CEX gamble. For me, though, they're a 100% no-go, ever since I bought a Blu Ray in my local shop that was literally covered in jam.

I also got screwed over by CeX with a season of Bleach. The first set they sent had a damaged disc, so I sent it back, and the second set had a damaged case. However, it's hard to argue with some of those prices, SAO 2 P2 is about £27 new on Amazon, Black Bullet is about £23 and the Girls Und Panzer OVAs are £15. Those are some not insignificant savings, even if they are used.

thedoctor2016 said:

Yep. And rather a lot of it. Like someone had used the disc to spread it on their toast.

Still, not to fret. MVM's state their deal of the week in what can only be a matter of minutes, so there's everything to play for!

Please be Berserk. Please be Berserk. Please be Berserk. Please be Berserk. Please be Berserk. Please be Berserk. Please be Berserk...

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'd hold off on buying Berserk; a blu ray's coming soon.

But I wants it NNNNAAAAAAAOOOOWWW!!!

(Also, pretty sure if I feel so inclined to upgrade to Blu Ray after the fact, Berserk DVDs would still be easy enough to sell on. But that's me being a calculating little otaku!)

Gemsy-chan said:
I had Berserk once on dvd, couldn't get pass the first disk though. Just didn't like it.

I find this opinion to be wholly acceptable. I'd never been remotely interested in it until I saw the first couple of Golden Age movies.

I've not had any issues with CEX so far, and with past bargains like Fate/Zero with the artbox for £10, I'm happy to gamble and use them.

I've not had any serious issues with CeX either, some of their stuff is immaculate and some can be really grubby, but everything I've bought works okay either way. I do hate how tough it is to get their price stickers off cleanly though, it often leaves a big sticky patch behind.

As for the DotW, I've snapped up Rozen Maiden as it was in my 'it's not BD so it can wait until it's cheap' list.

I've only had one problem with CeX and that was on most recent purchase , I ordered Ghost in the Shell s.a.c gig 2 but got send gig 1 . I sent it back today hopefully they send me out the correct one next week sometime .

I haven't bought anything from CeX in years, and only from in store. The local one used to frequently have very recent anime releases... that always looked like they had been used as frisbees. I was convinced someone local was doing just that; buying them, watching them once, throwing them around a bit then taking them to CeX. They usually played OK though.
I miss when they had a shelf of import games mind. Bought a volume of .hack// along with the OVA, long before it eventually came out in the UK.

BanzaiJedi said:
I've not had any serious issues with CeX either, some of their stuff is immaculate and some can be really grubby, but everything I've bought works okay either way. I do hate how tough it is to get their price stickers off cleanly though, it often leaves a big sticky patch behind.

I've said this before on this forum, but it bears repeating: Get yourself a Gundam eraser marker off Amazon / Ebay. They're great for removing persistent gunge and even marker pigment from plastic and card.

HdE said:
BanzaiJedi said:

I've said this before on this forum, but it bears repeating: Get yourself a Gundam eraser marker off Amazon / Ebay. They're great for removing persistent gunge and even marker pigment from plastic and card.
Huh, thanks for the tip. Sounds like it would be useful when I build my next gunpla too, so I'll definitely get one.

I've never had any issues with CeX either apart from the final disc of Planetes I bought from them, but it was so long after I bought it when I eventually watched it that I couldn't send it back. I'm going to try and see if I can get it restored as the chances of finding another are pretty slim now. It was only about £2 anyway so it can make the collection look good if nothing else.

st_owly said:
I've never had any issues with CeX either apart from the final disc of Planetes I bought from them, but it was so long after I bought it when I eventually watched it that I couldn't send it back. I'm going to try and see if I can get it restored as the chances of finding another are pretty slim now. It was only about £2 anyway so it can make the collection look good if nothing else.
Amazon have you covered. A lot of Beez catalogue are still available in France. Pretty much anything they released here was also released in France with the same discs, though sadly not the other way round :(.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B004V...s=Planetes&dpPl=1&dpID=51KIFWsrd1L&ref=plSrch

st_owly said:
I've never had any issues with CeX either apart from the final disc of Planetes I bought from them, but it was so long after I bought it when I eventually watched it that I couldn't send it back. I'm going to try and see if I can get it restored as the chances of finding another are pretty slim now.

When you ssay 'restored', do you mean by way of having the disc refurbed?

I don't know if this'll be any help, but you could always invest in a disc repair machine. I bought one ages ago, and it's saved a few scratched discs that I bought second hand. It's turned out to be an absolutely excellent purchase.

Back