UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Most of my MVM purchases during the single volume era were 99p and £1.99 jobbies. R.O.D The TV for £14, Speedgrapher for £12, Oh My Goddess for £2. Haibane Renmei for £4, and picking up random volumes here and there, like Riding Bean for 99p. There was a lot of single volume clearance to make room for boxsets, then boxsets to make way for thinpacks, then thinpacks to make way for bricks.

You can always tell when AOL have a good sale on, when you go into CEX and see 4/5 volumes of the same "part 2" of a series on the shelf, purchased and sold by someone making some quick money (buy for £1.99, CEX will pay £4)

I'm going to predict it will be a classic series as DOTW tomorrow

msgeek said:
All DVD's sorted by price ascending. I find setting 50 per page makes navigation easier...
http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home ... n=0&page=1
Lutga said:
Probably the best one in there is you can pick up the two parts of Shana Season 2 for £2.99 each.

I as gonna say that the Shanna season 2 looks like a good offer, I also picked up Chrome Shelled Regios Part 1 & 2 (£4.99 & £2.99) since there is no blu-ray available (from what I could see :? )

It's a strange show - really interesting tone, great visuals and strong world building if you like deep sci fi stuff. But personally I found it had pacing problems and could get pretty dense at times. I like to describe it as what Star Trek would be like if it was full of moe girls.

Do want!

Although, I will admit, this is one where I wonder if I should grab it on blu ray instead. Although, given that my spending money is pretty squeezed, I'd be silly not to grab it.

windcott said:
how good is the pq of the dvd ? is it worth an extra money for BD (£38)

The Blu-ray is watchable, better than the DVD, but not spectacular (It's 1080i but apparently Sentai's 2nd 1080p release isn't that much better). The most important thing for me was the frame rate, as it's not PAL sped-up like the DVDs. I went for the Blu-rays, but paid less than £38 for it. The DVD is good, but it's got that PAL speed-up thing.

I imagine that depends on the value you place on the video. For me I'd pay quite a lot more to have video which hasn't been PAL-mutilated, but some people don't even notice it (let alone care). If you're on the fence the DotW price is a good deal and you can always sell it and upgrade later, worst case.

R

I like pirates. I like space. I like bodaciousness. (sp?)

I was mildly disappointed with that show. It's not a bad show... It just couldn't live up to it's name (for me) after having those three awesome words in the title...

Lutga said:
It's a strange show - really interesting tone, great visuals and strong world building if you like deep sci fi stuff. But personally I found it had pacing problems and could get pretty dense at times. I like to describe it as what Star Trek would be like if it was full of moe girls.
I pretty much agree with this, there are some really great episodes and moments but it's kind of inconsistent. The characters are pretty good so that probably helps make it more enjoyable throughout than it might otherwise have been.

Overall, I did quite like the show though. While I felt the story had some weaker moments, the characters kept me coming back.

Back