UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

With Vol. 1 of Lain costing 99p, Vol 2-4 for beings the total value for the series to £15.95. It's most certainly worth buying the single volume DVD's in cases like this.

I'd order the rest of Lain after being impressed by the first episode from Anime-On-Online if not for my copy of Vol. 1 arriving unsealed with the DVD loose, plus with a changed DVD case. Waiting to see what the replacement looks like and if my remaining 3 99p orders arrive before doing anything.

As your anime guide, today I'm going to teach the unknowing just how over-priced UK anime is:

----------

.hack//Sign: Anime Legends - Complete Collection -- £14.20 (£17.46 Inc. shipping)

Split into two box sets in the UK, both currently priced at £28.25 EACH, no-one except the stupidly rich will have ordered...actually, I did pay £60 for my Beez Cowboy Bebop box sets ages ago. ;__: *ahem* All 7 volumes are also priced at a staggering £13.47 EACH.

.hack//SIGN is an excellent series, the 2nd anime I watched. A great introduction to both anime and the .hack saga.

----------

Escaflowne: Anime Legends - Complete Collection -- £14.20 (£17.95 Inc. delivery)

While Escaflowne is not anywhere near as over-priced as .hack//SIGN, the price of this R1 box set does once again (for want of a better word) own the UK prices.

----------

Outlaw Star: Anime Legends - Complete Collection -- £14.20 (£17.46 Inc. delivery)

Not out over here.

Like .hack//SIGN, Outlaw Star was one of my first series. Not the best in the world, but it's well worth having in your anime collection at this price.

----------

Planetes: Complete Collection - £14.20 (£16.96 Inc. delivery)

Once again, Beez have forced us buy this in 2 very over-priced box sets, with all the volumes YET AGAIN being priced at £13.47. Bastards.

Can't comment on the quality of the series, I just know it's highly rated.

----------

Rumbling Hearts: Box Set - £14.20 (£17.46 Inc. delivery)http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=831152

Rumbling Hearts isn't too over-priced here, thankfully. The UK box set will hopefully drop to the price of the Gunslinger Girls box set soon.

----------

Scrapped Princess: Anime Legends - Complete Collection -- £14.20 (£17.46 Inc. shipping)

This amazing anime has yet to be released over 'ere.

Scrapped Princess is one of the best series I've watched. A must have at this price, just like .hack//SIGN.

----------

Witch Hunter Robin: Anime Legends - Complete Collection -- £14.20 (£17.46 Inc. delivery)

Box 1 of 2 (see a pattern here?) is currently priced at £18 (box set 2 not showing on Find-DVD) and all the volumes are priced at the usual retarded price of around £13.47. Lovely.

----------

Wolf's Rain: Anime Legends - Complete Collection I -- £11.36 (£14.11 Inc. delivery)
Wolf's Rain: Anime Legends - Complete Collection II -- £11.36 (£14.11 Inc. delivery)

What!? A R1 series actually split into 2!?

While this is a 30 episode series (including the 4 episode OVA) it doesn't quite match the .hack//SIGN and Scrapped Princess box sets in value. However, Beez, being the fucktards they are, still make this into a mega-bargain with the pricing being near identical to that of .hack//SIGN over here.

Fantastic series, btw.

----------

I know the Anime Legends box sets are M-lock cases and the Beez box sets aren't. I also know that these series being in M-lock and cases and not having the amazing Beez 'video quality' does not justify the difference in price.

Class dismissed.

You are truly the anime bargain king :D
I've been really looking into the whole importing Region 1 anime DVDs, are DVDpacific one of the best places to order from.
My CDwow order never arrived/existed and now they wont let me cancel my order either so I doubt I'll use them again.

halfacandan has corrected me about Witch Hunter Robin - It's a little cheaper at Amazon.com. DVD Pacific have the best (or average) price for most of the above.

I'm going to add the normal disclaimer that R1s are only stupidly cheap because of the insanely high exchange rate. If the UK companies tried releasing at the same prices they'd go backrupt in a matter of weeks.

I'm also going to point out that there is a reason to buy the Beez R2 Boxsets of .Hack//SIGN over the R1s, namely that it's the only way to get .Hack//Liminality, now that the .Hack PS2 games are OOP. But I do agree the Beez's boxset prices are a complete rip off, everyone complains about the price of ADV sets, but Beez are even more expensive.

As for DVD Pacific, they are the best place to buy R1s from the UK, because not only are the prices cheaper but their level of service is excellent too. Unlike a lot of US based websites, they genuinely care about international orders and their shipping costs are reasonable. Amazon.com are just as good, but they don't normally discount so heavily. Of course when importing don't forget that orders over £18 are liable for customs charges.

In fairness though, in region 2, .hack// games 3 & 4 aren't even packaged with //liminality DVDs which is ridiculous. Probably due to them being packaged with the //sign boxset I guess...

Quick question about DVDpacific, I was checking delivery charges to the UK and it has the main charge as $3.49 + $0.99 per item and "Multiple disc sets are counted as multiple items" does this mean if I order a multiple disc boxset I pay and extra $0.99 per disc?

Also "Please note: Box Sets that contain booklets, figurines etc or are not standard cases will also incur an extra freight component dependant upon the weight of each item."

For now I think I'll stick with amazon.co.uk to order region 1 anime boxsets as the prices are about the same, I just hope I don't meet with any piratey types.

Liminality Vol. 1-4 are just nice freebies with an awesome theme song. They aren't something worth going out of your way to watch...or spending an extra £40+ for the pleasure.

King Jimmeh said:
In fairness though, in region 2, .hack// games 3 & 4 aren't even packaged with //liminality DVDs which is ridiculous. Probably due to them being packaged with the //sign boxset I guess...

Outbreak and Quarantine are packaged with Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 of Liminality - Just got my games out to check.

Raz: DVD Pacific did charge shipping based on how many DVD's, yes. There's also sometimes errors in the amount of DVD's listed.

Anyone had their other ADV orders arrive yet, I'm excitedly waiting for my complete Abenobashi set to arrive, also waiting for the Aquarian Age and Cromartie DVDs.

Raz23 said:
Anyone had their other ADV orders arrive yet, I'm excitedly waiting for my complete Abenobashi set to arrive.
I got my Aquarian Age DVDs on Friday I think it was, but that's a different series. I'm guessing how long it takes is a combination of what stock they've currently got and how many people ordered stuff before you. I wouldn't worry too much for a little while yet.

All cheap DVDs back in stock.

Cromartie £2
Abenobashi £4
Aqaurian Age £2

http://www.advfilms.co.uk/acatalog/SPECIAL_OFFERS.html

I just got my 4 Abenobashi DVDs and 2 Aquarian Age DVDs today with a note on the receipt telling me that the Cromarite DVDs were out of stock but should be sent to me soon along with the third Aquarian Age, with them all being sold again on their site it shouldn't be a long wait.

Liquid Skin said:
Oh and if anyone's looking for the Samurai Champloo box set which came out a week back, anime-on-line seem to have it for the cheapest: £44.99

http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... t=0&page=1

Its possible to get this cheaper,

1. Go to http://foxy.co.uk/cash-off-voucher/ and sumbit your details for a £2 off when you spend over £20 voucher then add Samurai Champloo to your cart and use the voucher http://www.foxy.co.uk/Samurai-Champloo- ... VD/128510/?

Total cost: £43.45

or

2. Buy from virgin megastore - http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/product/788814//s.jsf

Total cost: £44

Cutting the costs by a fair margin aint ya? :D

Oh and don't buy the "special order" Eva HMV dvds, they dont seem to come with the platinum sleeve - so for all those completists the closest ive found was...umm i think it was choicesuk at £12-14 ish. Link later, tired.

Its so sad that im willing to pay 8 more pounds just to get a crappy silver box with my dvd.

So what with all this crazy Geneon bowing out of the anime industry in the US anyone know if this will effect my order for the complete Last Exile series off hmv.co.uk or are they still distributing over here?

Back