UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Still haven't received any of my 10 DVD's from ADV. Has anyone else?

Princess Mononoke: Special Edition - £4.99 + 10% QuidCo
Next best = Play @ £5.99

While I do usually wait until around £3.99 for movies these days, £4.99 + 49p QuidCo is too tempting to refuse when it's for one of the best movies I've ever watched.

New Fist Of The North Star: Complete Collection - £12.47
Next best = HMV @ £14.99

Hellsing: The Collection - £23.49
Next best = The Hut/Asda @ £26.97

Remember, you can still get Vol. 1-4 of Hellsing for £5.99 each atm.

Samurai X - Deluxe Complete Collection (Four Discs) - £24.59
Next best = The Hut @ £26.97

Tasker said:
Aion said:
Still haven't received any of my 10 DVD's from ADV. Has anyone else?

When did you order them? Every time i've ordered from ADV it's taken about 2-3 weeks.

I forget; the day I posted about all the ADV sale stuff being back in-stock. My order for Madlax 2-6 took around 1 week, while Raz (ordered ion the same day as me) only received his 2-6 order a few days ago, so it seems kinda random with ADV.

Edit: Someone who ordered after me received there order today.

I'll make sure to post when my second and third boxes arrive, can't wait.

Does anyone know which version of Last Exile is the best one to get including the American releases?

I'm tempted by the region 2 £6 boxes on HMV.co.uk which makes it £42, but I could probably get the region 1 boxes with more stuff for that price, also wondering if region 1 DVDs are of better visual quality being 60hz an all, compared to PALs 50hz.

I really want the big deluxe boxset with individual full size boxes and the special figurine, but if the Range Murata collection is nice and alot cheaper I might settle for that.

This is my ultimate must see anime, it's been at the top of my list to buy for ages so I'd probably spend around £40 for it, I'm in awe of Range Muratas artistic skills.

All 10 arrived today in a huge box. ADV sure like to put an extra 10% of effort into sealing stuff, took me ages just to open the box!

No damage to any of the DVD's this time around. Madlax 1&7 and Peacemaker 1 look awesome...shame I can't say the same about the very girly/kiddy/old looking Angelic Layer. Kinda wish I'd not ordered Angelic Layer and instead ordered 2-7 of Peacemaker for £4 each now since Peacemaker looks right up my street, even more so than Madlax.

Oh well, 1-4 of Elfen Lied for £5.99 each (plus 1 stamped on DVD case), 1-7 of Madlax (2 slightly damaged cases) and Angelic Layer for £2 each AND Peacemaker 1 for a massuve £1. Can't complain. :)

Hehe, when I had my order of Madlax 1-7 delivered they all came in their own little boxes. :p

Not bad too, the complete series for less than the price of a single disk. :D

The P&P cost them 70p on each one. :eek:

I have to admit too, i've so far had loads of damaged cases off of Play.com, but not a single scratch on one off of ADV. ( To date that is, touch wood and all that. )

Raz23 said:
I'll make sure to post when my second and third boxes arrive, can't wait.

Does anyone know which version of Last Exile is the best one to get including the American releases?

I'm tempted by the region 2 £6 boxes on HMV.co.uk which makes it £42, but I could probably get the region 1 boxes with more stuff for that price, also wondering if region 1 DVDs are of better visual quality being 60hz an all, compared to PALs 50hz.

I really want the big deluxe boxset with individual full size boxes and the special figurine, but if the Range Murata collection is nice and alot cheaper I might settle for that.

This is my ultimate must see anime, it's been at the top of my list to buy for ages so I'd probably spend around £40 for it, I'm in awe of Range Muratas artistic skills.

Firstly, 60hz vs 50hz is meaningless. For many reasons PAL is the superior video format, provided it's encoded properly. I can't comment on the quality of ADVs Last Exile release, but I can say that the R1 Geneon discs are up to Geneon's normal high standards.

Ultimately, you're worrying over nothing. If you really must have the deluxe packaging get either R1 collection, the difference in quality of the actuall release is probably too small to worry about.

Thanks for letting me know Noratav, I'll be buying it very soon, will probably get the thin pack release considering the price.

Had my second (still waiting on third and fourth orders) ADV order arrive today aswell, very well sealed as always and in perfect condition, they must have every size boxes for every DVD amount ever.

That's Peacemaker 1 £1 - kinda wishing I'd bought them all now too, it would've been £25 though, might find a boxset release cheaper one day.
Madlax 1+7 - £4 - thank you ADV for letting us get the two we missed first time round.
Mazinkaiser for a whole £1, looks like good, fun, high quality stuff, really looking forward to watching it.

@Task: Bet your posty was happy with you!

Play, thankfully, have never sent me anything damaged. It would be troublesome to return stuff to them...

-----

Peacemaker 2-7 was awful tempting after getting Peacemaker 1 for £1, but I wanted to wait until I'd watched Vol. 1 before ordering any other anime. £29 on this sale, £24 on Elfen Lied + other CC bills start to add-up quickly.

I'm still a bit confused as to why ADV decided to sell Madlax for £2 each when Vol. 7 only came out last March over here. Angelic Layer I can understand; it looks like kiddy crap, but with everything apart from Vol. 1 of Madlax still going for between £11-12 in all stores it was one hell of a bargain for those who got Vol. 1-7 for around the price of what a single volume is selling for. Here's hoping ADV keep up this super anime sale!

Edit: You guys should check out the trailers for other series on the Madlax 1 DVD, some good stuff. FMP looks like a good laugh, Peacemaker looks awesome and I already know how good Get Backers is.

Aion said:
Angelic Layer I can understand; it looks like kiddy crap.
Angelic Layer is basically one big tournament anime with decent and well-animated fighting throughout. It's pretty damn good as things go and while it looks fairly cute the fights are technical and satisfying (the back-breaker move being one of my favourite moments :twisted:).

'Kiddy crap' it ain't, despite appearances. :p

While I'm here, MVM has a big sale on with lots of titles at £4-5.99 Even a couple at 99p!

Raz23 said:
He aint kiddin about that MVM sale, quite a few for 0.99p!, also all the Get Backers volumes are £6 each.

http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home ... irection=0

My stacks of anime DVDs keep getting more and more unstable ^^

Ordered 6 DVD's for 99p each, couldn't resist. :D Thanks Ush!

Instead of paying £30 for 1-5 and £30 for 6-10, you can also get the slimpak R1 Get Backers for £21 (inc shipping) each from DVD Pacific.

3/6 of my 99p DVD's arrived today. 2/3 were sealed, 2/3 had loose discs.

Sadly, Serial Experiment Lain arrived unsealed AND with a loose disc. My annoyance level raised when I put in first my PC and then PS2 to see lines going up the very edge of the left and right sides of the picture. I'd seen this before on old (1988 in this case) anime I'd downloaded, so I tried it on my mates HDTV - The problem didn't show. :confused:

Anyhow, the first episode of Lain was dark and awesome. If Anime-On-Line planned to get people to buy the other volumes after watching the first on the cheap it might just work. I love how it's so old that they seem to be calling the internet "The Wired"! :rotfl:

And, in non-related news, VG+ haven't sent my pre-order for .hack//G.U. Vol. 3 that came out on the 10th in yankland. ;_________;

Ahh SE: Lain, one of my fav animes of all time, you have good taste! :p

Sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered, you gonna bother sending them back?

Anyways i hope you enjoy Lain, stick with it and you wont be disappointed.

Oh, slightly sales related, i just got a email from HMV with a £5 off code if you spend more than £30. Havent bothered to check if theres any small print like you have to buy x DVDs but ah well. Anyone else get this?

I like dark and intelligent stuff like Lain. I take it you also like Death Note, right?

Someone else tested Lain on their PC for me and said they could see the same (or something very similar) thing. Going on that, it's not a fault with this DVD, just something to do with the transfer. No idea why it shows on my PC/PS2+DVD but not on my mates HDTV.

Speaking of TVs, I've got a new TV (TX32LXD70) coming from John Lewis on Sat for £600. I'll have lots of anime to watch on it if it doesn't have problems! I even won an Ergo Proxy Vol. 1 comp...I've suddenly found myself surrounded by anime.

And, yeah, I received the £5 off 30 voucher. I Cancelled the two orders I had that were on order with supplier (Atelier Iris 3 for £9.99 and Metal Slug: Anthology) and re-ordered them with the Die Hard box set and Akira. Was tempted to go with NGE 1-7 instead, but..

Do the Evangelion Platinum singular boxes come with any extras not included in the super expensive metal boxed collection, particularly are the booklets in each one quite large compared to the shrunk down postcard sized book in the complete collection.

Also you guys might like to know that HMVs website has a great (although highly annoying) little trick you can utilise to get stuff cheaper without spending over £30, if you put one of the many "on order from supplier" games in your basket with whatever else you want to make it £30, 9 times out of 10 the game will never be restocked and you'll have the £5 deducted off your DVDs and the game will eventually be cancelled. I got the Haibane Renmei boxset for under £20 on release due to ordering a game at the same time. my feelings = :x :? :D

No Raz, theres no difference in the extras between the volumes and the boxset - aside from the £50 price difference!

Each postcard is about 8-10 pages long, two pages summarising the episodes and then another 4-6 odd describing something relative to the episodes - as of yet its been Angels and Evas. Oh and a couple more pages of still images. When i asked at this forum someone linked me a video of a person opening the platinum eva box and showing the special features so im sure you can get the same for the individual volumes hehe. Are you thinking of getting the boxset?

Oh and that is a pretty cool trick - though i really hope it doesnt work for me. Ordered the last 3 volumes of EVA including Death and Rebirth and i really dont want to have to go to play or some other side and pay 2-3 times the price i payed at HMV!!

Back