Tottenham riot

Man, the scale of all this rioting over the last few days is quite terrifying really. I kinda surprised they didn't already call in the army and maybe they should.

Oh yeah and that video of the guy's backpack being robbed.....so depressing. I think some police brutality on the guy who stole from the backpack would be fully justified.

Also I don't get the criticism on people like Livingstone and Diana Abbot and accusations of her trying to "have it both ways" by saying that nothing excuses violence while suggesting that government cuts have contributed towards it. Because it is true that nothing excuses the violence, but at the same time it does seem painfully clear to me that the cuts, lack of jobs, closure of youth clubs and poor education are all factors that have fuelled this madness.

I think the response of David Cameron has been wrong to be honest, you have to be more careful about your response. He seems to be suggesting that there is no underlying cause for this situation, and that it pretty much just boils down to "pure criminality" manifested with no root cause or reason behind it, which is obviously ********. Criminality on this scale doesn't just appear from nowhere .

Tachi said:
AF17, white, black, brown but not asian? hang on what do you mean brown you freak? and there are asians in the crowds ¬___¬

Im trying to stay out of the racial thing as i hold views that PC police won't like, and rui will scold my hands, but i can see a racial civil war erupting. If im right or not is yet to be seen but i'll wait it out.

There are alot of reasons why this has been kicking off so its not just down to race, but either way i hope that things are quiet this weekend as i'll be in london, chingford area, going to a wedding (Denise and Ev are finally getting married, they are like second family to us and i can't wait for their caribbean food :D )
hope you have a nice time, lets hope the riots stop before then

I agree with you Vash, its boiled quietly for too long and now that riots have appeared in the capital thats all it took for people to spark a nation wide riot. People are fed up, the government won't listen and keep pushing up prices and capping wages, something had to give.... and the government is just a group of selfish, self centred posh gits who've done all they can to try and remain in power for as long as possible, to ruin peoples chances of going to uni and legally overthrowing them (by pushing up the original £3k a year to 9 and 12k a year) suppressing the masses and mollycoddling them with textbook jargon. People are sick of being treated this way and i'd like to see what they do about it.

but don't you see, the moment they take up arms over protecting businesses is the moment that real weapons come into the fold, that it escalated much further and deaths will become common news. That anarchy will take control of the nation and as a result it could go in so many ways, all you need is for someone to kill another person and claim they follow sharia laws and they acted because the looters dishonoured them and a racial war will begin. Its small things like that which tip things into a certain direction. In the same way that it could also be the army being brought back to sort things out and a civil war erupts.

The only way to get through this is for the government to do something to keep the country happy, to lower taxes, to take the money out of their own pockets, why does a MP need 2 houses? he doesn't is the answer, but he can claim expenses on it? using tax payers money to ship it across to other countries for aid, disregarding their own people who would die for that monetary aid?

The EU is falling apart, the Euro is failing and they all know it, the chances of it pulling us into a double dip recession has already been on the news and the chances are unavoidable. its natural to see this sort of unrest break out. And i for one find no problems with striking back against the government, but don't waste time hitting shops for looting, go and target the damn government buildings instead.

vashdaman said:
Criminality on this scale doesn't just appear from nowhere.
Not on this scale, no, but most of the areas hit with rioting have been plagued with high rates of crime and gang activity for a long time. This was always on the cards.

Low aspirations, few jobs and opportunities, poor parenting - all these things are contributory factors to the problems in our society and they need to be addressed, but it's also the case that some people just enjoy violence and disorder. Look at football hooliganism; people from all walks of life use their allegiances as an excuse to indulge in some of the old ultraviolence.

And news just in.... Its kicked off in Luton,

hopefuly this all carries on for the next 3 weeks and i won't need to come to work as they'll have no bus services running :)

Lawrence said:
I think there is another group outside the goverment that are far more worthy of being hailed as "self-centered", the rioters.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I don't really feel like trying to be sympathetic to the plight of people who ruin the lives and hard work of perfectly innocent strangers.

The area I work in completely shut down this afternoon in preparation for the raging crowds with the only thing still open being the train station, and apparently my home area is the same way too. Of course I'm still at work like a sucker ;)

R

vashdaman said:
I think the response of David Cameron has been wrong to be honest, you have to be more careful about your response. He seems to be suggesting that there is no underlying cause for this situation, and that it pretty much just boils down to "pure criminality" manifested with no root cause or reason behind it, which is obviously ********. Criminality on this scale doesn't just appear from nowhere .
Do you honestly expect a politician to take the blame for anything? Of course he's going to blame the rioters.

Rui said:
Lawrence said:
I think there is another group outside the goverment that are far more worthy of being hailed as "self-centered", the rioters.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I don't really feel like trying to be sympathetic to the plight of people who ruin the lives and hard work of perfectly innocent strangers.

The area I work in completely shut down this afternoon in preparation for the raging crowds with the only thing still open being the train station, and apparently my home area is the same way too. Of course I'm still at work like a sucker ;)

R

I hope your ok Rui and that you make it back home safely!

Lawrence said:
The goverment are incompetent for not nipping this in the bud while it was at its worst but they aren't the ones who are stealing 1000's of pounds worth of goods every hour.
If the government "generated" £600bn in taxation last year, I make that around £11500 every minute. But that's not stealing because they don't use force or the threat of force to get it, spend it paying off frivolous debts they have stupidly run up or use it to make sure their mates are all looked after (even if they are incompetent idiots who would otherwise be broke and unemployed). Oh no wait, that's exactly what they do.

It's interesting reading people's comments. I guess it depends on how much you care for all this. Not a lot, personally. Not any more. There's the odd thing I like, but the longer I'm around, the more I see, the less sympathy I have for anyone. I'd love to be able to honesty say "You know what guys, you're right. This is awful. Those poor people. They don't deserve this." But I'm afraid that would be a lie.

Tachi said:
That anarchy will take control of the nation and as a result it could go in so many ways, all you need is for someone to kill another person and claim they follow sharia laws and they acted because the looters dishonoured them and a racial war will begin.

What does sharia law have to do with it? I don't think you'd have to rely on religious beliefs to justify defending your business. It's pretty universal.

ayase said:
Lawrence said:
The goverment are incompetent for not nipping this in the bud while it was at its worst but they aren't the ones who are stealing 1000's of pounds worth of goods every hour.
If the government "generated" £600bn in taxation last year, I make that around £11500 every minute. But that's not stealing because they don't use force or the threat of force to get it, spend it paying off frivolous debts they have stupidly run up or use it to make sure their mates are all looked after (even if they are incompetent idiots who would otherwise be broke and unemployed). Oh no wait, that's exactly what they do.

It's interesting reading people's comments. I guess it depends on how much you care for all this. Not a lot, personally. Not any more. There's the odd thing I like, but the longer I'm around, the more I see, the less sympathy I have for anyone. I'd love to be able to honesty say "You know what guys, you're right. This is awful. Those poor people. They don't deserve this." But I'm afraid that would be a lie.

What a Splendid Post Ayase.
It's true that these savages on the streets smashing things up are just thugs but what about the Labcondems we have, have done far more damage to this country than these selfish brats running riot.

Soubi-Hurt said:
ayase said:
Lawrence said:

What a Splendid Post Ayase.
It's true that these savages on the streets smashing things up are just thugs but what about the Labcondems we have, have done far more damage to this country than these selfish brats running riot.

1. Why the capitalisation of the first letters of 'splendid post'? Are you not aware that doing so is foolish?

2. 'Labcondems'? I googled it, and most of the results on page one were about lambskin condoms. You shouldn't try to make up your own terms like that without thinking first.

3. Your use of 'labcondem' to refer to Labour, Lib Dem and Conservatives, with your accusation they are damaging the country is intriguing. If you say the Conservatives are damaging the country too, then which party do you support? UKIP? BNP perhaps? A lot of what you say sounds similar to what I recall them putting in their political junk mail.

Mutsumi said:
Your use of 'labcondem' to refer to Labour, Lib Dem and Conservatives, with your accusation they are damaging the country is intriguing.
"Accurate" is the word I'd use. They're all the same now. It wouldn't matter who was in power, things would be exactly the same. We don't get to choose between A, B and C any more; just three different colours of B. And none of them have anything to offer us except higher taxes and less public services (unless you happen to run a bank or a loss making, privatised public service. In which case you can take home your six figure salary and don't have to worry about silly little things like actually doing your job properly). I tell you who I would like to see in charge at this point: Nobody.

ayase said:
It's interesting reading people's comments.
Is it really though? 99% of people are idiots, and I'm not fond of reading the comments of idiots. I think the only thing we would disagree on is who is left in the 1%.

ilmaestro said:
I think the only thing we would disagree on is who is left in the 1%.
I don't know, killing 99% of the earth's population is going a bit far, even for me... How about we leave 2% and then we can both pick? ;)

Rui said:
Lawrence said:

R

I doubly agree Rui, it's rather alarming the amount of people posting here who think the rioters are justified in what they're doing...

Perhaps if they directed their actions towards someone other than innocent bystanders they'll garner a sliver of sympathy from me, but no.

Back